misterwhisker

Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism RDS $199 @ Midway

Good price, though i dont see why it goes for so much more than the Strikefire. Is it not the same thing, other than the etched reticle? If this was the 3x unit i'd buy one just to have, but the Burris 332s and 536's or whatever are dirt cheap thanks to the fastfire deal they had for a while.

Strikefire is reflex, spitfire is prism.

I wish I knew about the difference before I bought my Strikefire II as my astigmatism makes the red dot in my Strikefire look like a lightning bolt.

Got news for you. All my Aimpoints look like Haley's Comet because of my eyes. Glasses only help about 75% or so. Does not eliminate all of it.

Doc said I had everything you speak of with the addition of early stages of cataracts. No glasses will help unless I get surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ordered one. Couldn't resist at that price point. Guess now I'm gonna have to build something to put it on.....damn! :sarcastic:

Was considering it too because of sale combined with their/my Birthday pricing, comes out to about $183.... But I have nothing to put it on and don't want it as an excuse to build/buy something, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's funny... i have astigmatism and crappy eyes, as well.
Is that why the dot tends to look 'stretched out'? I figured that was just because it was an inexpensive optic. I am itching to try and compare this to my strikefire however i just purchased a G19 off a member and don't want to blow 200$ on another sight when my Burris 332 is sitting around in the safe.. This WOULD be cool to put on my 10/22 takedown, though??
AHHHHHH

You people are horrible influences.
I ordered one. Don't tell my Fiance....

The good news is, on the AR15.com forums someone just sold a lightly used (like new) one for 225$.... so i know i can get my money out of it if i decide to dump it..
Probably not a bad idea to purchase a handful for resale.. LOL

I decided to sell my ACOG and M1A, though, so thatll put money back in my pocket... At least for a little while until i buy something else.

Strikefire is reflex, spitfire is prism.

I wish I knew about the difference before I bought my Strikefire II as my astigmatism makes the red dot in my Strikefire look like a lightning bolt.

So a sight with a prism instead of a reflex will address the astigmatism comet trail issue? I can't shoot accurately with my Aimpoint PRO if the brightness is turned up.

So a sight with a prism instead of a reflex will address the astigmatism comet trail issue? I can't shoot accurately with my Aimpoint PRO if the brightness is turned up.

Brightness shouldn't really be a factor, your just noticing it more with increased light.

Prism optics have an adjustment, so you can adjust it to your eye until the dot is clear.

Definitely.  I have both an aimpoint and the Vortex spitfire.

Aimpoint looks like a starburst to my astamigtized eyes (and I know it's my eyes - the starburst pattern doesn't change when I rotate the optic relative to my eye). 

The vortex prism reticle/dot looks razor sharp once the focus is first adjusted out of the box.

I got mine yesterday. Out of the box its bigger and heavier then I thought it would be. More so then my Aimpoint PRO. The reticle itself is crisp and clear which is a pleasant surprise since I suffer from an astigmatism so the aimpoint dots look like grape clusters to me. The illumination is well done too in options of both red and green. Even at the lowest light setting it it usable indoors. My problem with the reticle is that its a double donut shape and its HUGE. The outer ring of the donut takes up most of the field of view! Then you have an inner ring and lastly there is a tiny dot in the center of it. Must be 1 MOA. For me, my eye goes to the inner ring then searches for the dot. It slows me down vs a standard red dot. I was under the impression that the reticle would be similar to an Eotech (which I like) but its much bigger and the dimensions of the circles are different.

This one is going back to Midway.

Picture of reticle......

post-1975-0-31345500-1470411916_thumb.jpg

Bull, you can always mount it backwards and follow the rear view mirror rule. J/k.... ;)

Doesn't bother me that much. Got mine today and bore sighted it on my Wasr10....

Imho, not bad. If it were one of my higher end rifles, I would not have got it. They all get Aimpoints and I just deal with the little comet tail issue by turning it down where I can still see it, yet the tail minimizes. But for $183 bux on the Wasr, its fine.

Maybe don't turn up the brightness too much?

896c486537ca038cb742eeb319948753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHunted, Im glad its working out for you. I may try it out on my 10/22 to see what it feels like before I ship it back. For the price its a good value but I could probably spend a few more dollars and get a C-more red dot and be totally happy with the sight picture. For some reason, the openess of the C-more design allows my eye to see the dot perfectly round even with the astigmatism.

Yea, I get it. Believe it or not, with my fooked up eyes, it is the clearest of anything I have. I had a TRS25 on the Wasr and that had the same prob as my high end ones. Now the Trs25 will be pushed over to a 22 rifle I want and the Vortex has its new home for now.

PS: in the picture above, forgot to take off the riser. Sits low just right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk