wadezky

Oaks PA gun show....worth the trip?

Morning all.  Saw that the  Oaks PA gun show is this coming weekend with 1000 tables.  All I'd really be looking for would be ammo, but I'm wondering if it's worth the drive just for that.  By the time I spend money on gas, tolls and admission, am I better off just ordering from one of the bulk companies online?  The problem with that is waiting for them to get what I use back in stock, whereas at the show I'm sure I can pick up the ammo from somebody without having to maybe wait weeks til my stuff is back in stock online.  I still have ammo (notice I didn't say "plenty of ammo") but I need to restock and I'm sure it would be fun to handle all the guns too but ammo is my main goal. 

Thoughts or experiences?  Thanks!

If you "need" it the show will probably have it. Pricing can be all over the place, Crap shoot sometimes. I go to get out of the house and browse. Always find something interesting. Looks like rain for Saturday, perfect to make a day of it and walk around.

Id personally just look for a deal and buy online...

That said, i haven't been to a gun show, but i'd imagine it to be awesome to walk around and browse. If you're going to go there, buy a case, and leave; its probably not worth it for the 10% you'll save in shipping costs, if that. I don't know how much ammo you are looking to buy, either, though. I'd love to go but my M.I.L. is coming from Australia Thursday and my daughters 1st birthday is Sunday, so i'll be busy as all hell for the next few weeks, at least until after her party on the 14th. These things always have perfect timing..

Just a heads up though, prices have gone a bit up lately (summer time), by about 10-20$/case just looking at wolf/pmc gold, so now isnt the greatest time to buy. That said, i've found good deals from members on here.

I dont know what you are looking for, but let me know. I have some extra 5.56; not the cheap stuff, but not bad. Federal/american eagle iirc.

I don't "need" it but another 3 or 4 trips to the range and then I'll need more range ammo.  I'm good with home defense rounds for everything, it would be just to stock up on more cases of cheapo range stuff.  I think walking around there checking things out could be fun, and if it is indeed going to rain then I'll probably head on over since the day will be shot anyway. 

The only thing that gets me is that I'm a "want it now so I'm gonna buy it" kind of guy....so I see my range ammo out of stock on the bulk sites that I use, I get all antsy and start jonesing for more ammo, so I was thinking that at the show I'd have my instant gratification.  I ususally buy from SGAmmo.com and bulkammo.com......I've seen a couple of sites that have the ammo I use but have no experience with them so I dunno if I should try them  (Ammunition Supply Company and Defender Outdoors).  I use Sellier and Bellot 124grain FMJ in 9mm for my CZ's, so that's what I try to get in my bulk orders.

I'm personally skipping this one. Going on Oct 7th weekend, they are promising over 1700 tables. If you want ammo then go on Saturday morning, you'll find the best prices, as prices go up as inventory goes down. 

I saw that one listed too.....probably go to both, especially this week if it's going to rain all day Saturday.   Good tip on getting there early, didn't think they'd be so ballsy to raise prices as the day goes on but I guess they can do whatever they want.

I saw that one listed too.....probably go to both, especially this week if it's going to rain all day Saturday.   Good tip on getting there early, didn't think they'd be so ballsy to raise prices as the day goes on but I guess they can do whatever they want.

Yep, i've seen it done many times. I go in the morning, buy a 500 case of PMC .223 for $240. Come back a few hours later and the same guy is now selling it for $270.

Yep, i've seen it done many times. I go in the morning, buy a 500 case of PMC .223 for $240. Come back a few hours later and the same guy is now selling it for $270.

Then those are the 1st guys to yell and complain when people stop buying from their store and only shop online.

I've gone to this show many times and I can say that ammo prices are not that great, you could find a better deal online.  The only real benefit is that you can buy it and take it home without the wait.  Otherwise to me, buying ammo there only makes sense if you're buying some more uncommon calibers which you only want limited quantities of.

However, outside of that point, I do find it enjoyable to walk around and just look (and possibly handle) various different things that you might not otherwise see.  Also for those that haven't been to one, keep in mind that while "guns" is the main draw, there are a lot of vendors selling stuff related stuff like books, movies, patches, clothing, etc...

might head up myself.. would be first gun show

whats the ease of buying ammo as a NJ resident there?

i take it everyone in the place is either concealed or open carrying the whole time?

You will have a great time. Plenty of things to buy in Free America. You just cannot be any handguns unless they transfer to an FFL in NJ. 

Ammo is no problem. Whip out the cash and walk away. Plenty of components to buy too. Walk around and check prices though. One vendor might be more than another. Price shop. .22 is gouged quite often. 

People CCW there but you are supposed to check your pistol with the local LEO that check the guns at the door. I think they zip tie the gun action. 

You will see all kinds of vendors CCW behind their booths. 

If you just want ammo, you can probably do better online - especially considering gas and tolls.

Is it worth the visit?  Once, maybe twice.  I haven't been in over a year and was thinking about going this weekend.  Depends on what else is happening.

I have gotten some decent deals (not great deals) on older used guns.  I prefer Sunday afternoon.  Less crowds, less competition, and dealers don't want to have to take everything back home with them.

LOL Thanks Steve...Yes JTM BBQ will be there as I am with every show...now as far as ammo prices go...it doesn't matter what day you go, all pricing is determined by all the other vendors as they all play games and try to undercut each other...so if one vendor drops their prices late sat afternoon, all the other vendors that want to be competitive will start doing the same within the hour lol. Same thing on the flip side, if one vendor sets a price low say 240 like mentioned above and all the other vendors are priced higher at say 275...that vendor is going to adjust enough to be within the other vendors but low enough to still sell...either way the ammo vendors always move product...ALWAYS.  And depending on what it is, the pricing isn't too far off from internet pricing...I.E. Wolf Gold has always been within $10-15 of internet pricing ranging from $289-319 at Oaks. Next, reloading supplies...Over the past year there have been vast amounts of powder and growing with every show. So really this kind of question is hard to answer as it all depends on the individual. Being a vendor for the past few years, I see the same people literally every show...and sometimes every day! So for a lot of locals its "something to do" I have a repeat customer every show, hes from Staten Island. 

Make sure you stop by and visit AverageJoe's Booth (Drop some coin) on JTM BBQ Sauce.... I'm sure he will be at the show!

Hes NJGF's Resident BBQ Sauce guy!

I'll stop by at Split Rock. I'm meeting up with some guys from work, so I'll bring them by as well.

• Like 1

I've had good success with finding stuff there that I wanted, and at a price I was willing to pay.

If that's the measure of a good show......then its a good show.

You will have a great time. Plenty of things to buy in Free America. You just cannot be any handguns unless they transfer to an FFL in NJ. 

Ammo is no problem. Whip out the cash and walk away. Plenty of components to buy too. Walk around and check prices though. One vendor might be more than another. Price shop. .22 is gouged quite often. 

People CCW there but you are supposed to check your pistol with the local LEO that check the guns at the door. I think they zip tie the gun action. 

You will see all kinds of vendors CCW behind their booths.

^^^ This...weapons get check in at the door, unloaded and ziptied.