deerpark

Know anything about septic tank risers?

My neighbor just had his septic tank pumped and apparently he dodged a bullet because it wasnt done in years, maybe 15 or 20.

From what I'm reading, tanks are more likely to fail without the proper maintenance, pumping etc.

Anyway, they pumped out the "sludge" but the opening to the tank was quite deep so they are recommending that he get risers.

I'm gonna have my tank pumped as well.  The access to my tank is also about two feet deep so will also go this "riser" route.

Anyone have experience with these things?

Stanley Yelnats IV says digging holes is good therapy.  Nice feature if you have to pump more than every 5 years.  You will have more problems with tank baffles than digging up tank lids.  Not really seeing the need.

When I bought my house I knew nothing about septic systems. The guy who did my home inspection told me that if you get your septic tank pumped every 2 to 3 years you will never have any problems. Some people tell me that I'm wasting money and I can go longer between pump outs but 14 years later and so far so good. As for risers I would rather dig a 2' deep hole every 2 or 3 years than have an ugly riser in my front lawn.

Why couldn't you dig it up and expose the lid then get a mason in there to build up around the opening with basin block and place a manhole cover just a few inches under the surface 

Still use your lid on your tank, build the extension big enough to basically stand on top of your tank and open the lid -- this way you change nothing with your tank,  just make easier access

The manhole cover could be flush with your grass and exposed or you could bury it a few inches and plant over it -- easy to find when needed and easy to get to and open in an emergency

Just some thoughts --  I have city sewer but spend lots of time digging in the dirt

Why couldn't you dig it up and expose the lid then get a mason in there to build up around the opening with basin block and place a manhole cover just a few inches under the surface 

Still use your lid on your tank, build the extension big enough to basically stand on top of your tank and open the lid -- this way you change nothing with your tank,  just make easier access

The manhole cover could be flush with your grass and exposed or you could bury it a few inches and plant over it

You have to be very careful about what you plant around the tank and the leach field. Roots are the root of all evil when you are dealing with a septic system. Pretty much anything but grass has the potential to clog your system  

Mine was about 4' deep. added a 3' riser. still under dirt, but alot less digging. Add ridex every 6 months. Eat less prime rib and you can go 4 years safely. Larger family and more steak=more often!

My septic is from 1976. It's been pumped every 2 years religiously. just had it pumped inspected 3 weeks ago. The inspector could not belive how good of condition it was in but my laterals are starting to sink as you can see the depressions in the yard. He said i still have a few years till i have to addreas them though. I have a short riser that is a few inches below the grass, I can have the cover exposed in under 5 minutes

I dont have septic but my parents do and did when i was growing up. The lid is about 2 feet down with no riser. When the house was full growing up they used to have it pumped every year. Until the leach field collapsed. Was old clay pipes and they collapsed little by little we found out. He then had to redo part of the system and a new leach field. There was also a holding tank that piping collapsed going to. Dont remember what its called but basically a tank with holes so the water can go back into the soil. After redoing it hes had no problems and now has it pumped every 2 years just because. Also i agree with adding ridex every 6 months or so. Not sure if it does anything but its worth it in the long run to add that and get it pumped every 2 years or so.

How old are you kids? [emoji23]

I grew up with a cesspool made from tiered blocks with a 5' concrete lid sticking out of the ground. Everything just leaked into the ground.

When I built my house, we used a septic tank with a leach field of stone and sand. Cost was $2500. Pumped it out twice in 25 years. The crusty layer on top is a good thing causing the shit to eat itself. Let it be.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

How old are you kids? [emoji23]

I grew up with a cesspool made from tiered blocks with a 5' concrete lid sticking out of the ground. Everything just leaked into the ground.

When I built my house, we used a septic tank with a leach field of stone and sand. Cost was $2500. Pumped it out twice in 25 years. The crusty layer on top is a good thing causing the shit to eat itself. Let it be.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Cesspools aren't legal in NJ anymore. If you have one at your house and want to sell it you'll need to install a septic system before you can sell it.