Sign in to follow this  
JasonS

How to dispose of Ammunition

Hi all,

Not looking to sell anything here, first time posting.  Please let me know if anything here is against the rules.

I have a few boxes of Remington 22LR ammunition (525ct boxes) that I am looking to get rid of.  I purchased from Cabelas which is far from me and I no longer have a receipt to return.  I called my local police department and they instructed me to contact the State Police.  I contacted State Police and nobody answered the phone.  I'm not looking to get myself in trouble and trying to do everything legally.  I've searched online and most responses for NJ were how to destroy the ammo or to make it non-functional, but at the end of the day I want the ammo out of my hands, and legally.  I reached out to my local range to see if they could help, waiting to hear back.

Willing to transfer the ammunition to someone in northern NJ if someone could explain to me how to do so legally.  If anyone is considering taking it off my hands please be forewarned, this ammo is very dirty and mucks up my gun which is why I'm looking to get rid of it.

Thanks!

Contact your local police department.  Tell them you have a box of ammunition that you do not want and ask them if they can dispose of it.

I did. They weren't willing to help and advised me to call the State Police who didn't answer the phone.  I'm trying my best to do this legally, but I also have heard stories of people being burned trying to follow the ridiculous laws in NJ and since I'm new to gun ownership I don't want to get myself in any legal trouble.

22 is considered hand gun ammo so the only law is they must be over 21 years old. I'm sure someone on here will take it. If not any range will dispose of it for you

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Thank you.  Hopefully someone offers to take it off my hands or my local range will response positively.

The bigger question is why get rid of it? 22 ammo is usually pretty messy to begin with and cleaning your gun shouldn't be an issue.

It's a slightly weird situation you are asking about. Not bad just weird

• Like 1

The bigger question is why get rid of it? 22 ammo is usually pretty messy to begin with and cleaning your gun shouldn't be an issue.

It's a slightly weird situation you are asking about. Not bad just weird

I can't get through two magazines before my gun starts jamming up fairly consistently.  I've started buying CCI and Federal and don't have any issues with them so looking to dump the dirty ammo as I don't intend on using it any longer.

How much do you want for it and how many boxes do you have?

Don't really care.  Willing to go give it away for free as my initial post stated.  I have 3 boxes of 525 rounds.  I think I fired about 50 rounds from one box, give or take, before I gave up on it.  The other two haven't been opened.  Ordered last month from Cabelas (7/13), hasn't been sitting long.  Just want it off my hands at this point.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-reg-LR-Rimfire-Ammunition/734676.uts?productVariantId=1355059

I can't get through two magazines before my gun starts jamming up fairly consistently.  I've started buying CCI and Federal and don't have any issues with them so looking to dump the dirty ammo as I don't intend on using it any longer.

This just means you need a bolt action .22 :D 

• Like 2

Don't really care.  Willing to go give it away for free as my initial post stated.  I have 3 boxes of 525 rounds.  I think I fired about 50 rounds from one box, give or take, before I gave up on it.  The other two haven't been opened.  Ordered last month from Cabelas (7/13), hasn't been sitting long.  Just want it off my hands at this point.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-reg-LR-Rimfire-Ammunition/734676.uts?productVariantId=1355059

If he just bought last month and it does not work, call Remington.  I'm sure they will replace it.

I dont care how crappy it is, i just drove an extra 45 minutes or so overall and got me like 1500 rounds of .22 for free... lol.. If it is genuinely defective, i'll contact remington. We'll see when i get to the range.

Thanks again for the ammo, man. I appreciate it!

• Like 3