GAPP

AR-15 pistol?

You may want to weld a 10 round mag to it or maybe 7 given NJ's wanting to top every other state on dumb gun laws.  When CC leaves they have a lot of ground to catch up on.  

If the mag was welded, would the mag limit laws even apply? I thought fixed mags had no limit! Once CC is gone, I'd worry more about anything that remotely

looks like an AR or AK will be banned anyway. The mag limit would not even come in to play!

If the mag was welded, would the mag limit laws even apply? I thought fixed mags had no limit! Once CC is gone, I'd worry more about anything that remotely

looks like an AR or AK will be banned anyway. The mag limit would not even come in to play!

I recall reading specifically listed that an semi auto with a fixed magazine of 15 or more is an AW. Its listed near the "banned by name" rifles.

JackDaWack is correct. The old Marlin Model 60 has a fixed tubular magazine of 17rds is an assault weapon in NJ. IIRC there was a guy convicted in Monmouth County (?) a few years ago for having one.

Marlin changed the mag capacity to 15 in newer guns.

I appreciate all the feedback... especially krdshrk (thanks for the breakdown on parts).  I can cut ounces here and there but the best I can come up with is in the 52 ounce mark without sights.

So my next question is: if I decide to install a fixed magazine and weight is no longer an issue, can the firearm have a barrel shroud and threaded barrel?  The only restrictions I can find apply to firearms that have detachable magazines.  Again, i appreciate any help.

So my next question is: if I decide to install a fixed magazine and weight is no longer an issue, can the firearm have a barrel shroud and threaded barrel?  The only restrictions I can find apply to firearms that have detachable magazines.  Again, i appreciate any help.

Supposedly yes.  That's what Chris is potentially looking to do.  

No tubular magazines like the marlin model 60 that holds 17 rounds in the fixed magazine is an assault weapon in NJ.

No tubular magazines like the marlin model 60 that holds 17 rounds in the fixed magazine is an assault weapon in NJ.

Well of course the magazine capacity cannot be over 15, that is listed as a completely different part of the NJ AWB. But the question is, do the other "offensive" characteristics still apply to an AR pistol if there a fixed mag.

This is the Estrella arms version with a handguard if you can figure out how to weld a plastic magazine into the plastic lower receiver, this is what it would look like.

d03f101fbce1824b53fd66ea15a81559.jpg

http://www.prosol.co.uk/plastic-welding-kit-including-hs102-hot-air-gun_M8020_202_10_2015.php

• Like 1

Well of course the magazine capacity cannot be over 15, that is listed as a completely different part of the NJ AWB. But the question is, do the other "offensive" characteristics still apply to an AR pistol if there a fixed mag.

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following:

So the other offensive characteristics... are not offensive.

This is the Estrela arms version with a handguard if you can figure out how to weld a plastic magazine into the plastic lower receiver, this is what it would look like.

d03f101fbce1824b53fd66ea15a81559.jpg

http://www.prosol.co.uk/plastic-welding-kit-including-hs102-hot-air-gun_M8020_202_10_2015.php

http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/plastic-welding-kit-1.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwi_W9BRD_3uio_Jz-p8UBEiQANU80vl6Dk2Mbk43IAnSKM1Pko5QzPbspxGXBPqiZ7yrtUfgaAsDU8P8HAQ plastic welding you say?
  • Like 1

I have no idea if it would work, but model cement melts plastics together.

If the receiver is ABS, as well as the magazine, which I believe they may be. Then just use ABS pipe cement. It works on plumbing pipe and fittings for decades without leaking.

As anyone who has tried it knows, gluing plastics can be tricky.  Many plastics including Teflonnylon, polypropylene, TPU, and PVC are notoriously hard to glue together.  Why is that, you ask?  The plastics that are the most difficult to glue are characterized by low surface energies, low porosity, and non-polar or non-functional surfaces.  They feature no functional site or surface roughness onto which an adhesive can secure itself.  In other words, they are extremely smooth and slippery, so there’s nothing for the glue to grab onto.

http://info.craftechind.com/blog/bid/323475/Stick-to-it-A-Guide-to-the-Best-Glue-for-Plastic

Why would the magazine need to be welded or glued? If it is mechanically attached but requires disassembly (using tools, not the new ca version of the bullet button) to remove, why would that not be acceptable? The sks is considered a fixed magazine firearm but the magazine can be removed/replaced with some disassembly.

• Like 1

Why would the magazine need to be welded or glued? If it is mechanically attached but requires disassembly (using tools, not the new ca version of the bullet button) to remove, why would that not be acceptable? The sks is considered a fixed magazine firearm but the magazine can be removed/replaced with some disassembly.

There is no defined way to "fix" a magazine. A bullet button could work, or the new mag release that requires disassembly of the action, or a physical block that screws on.... all subjective...

A magazine that is literally bonded to the receiver cant be argued anything but fixed.

"The sks is considered a fixed magazine firearm but the magazine can be removed/replaced with some disassembly."

Try loading it when it is not attached :)

So if you had a magazine that was detachable but useless once taken off would that be ok?

Ugh these laws

• Like 1

There is no defined way to "fix" a magazine. A bullet button could work, or the new mag release that requires disassembly of the action, or a physical block that screws on.... all subjective...

A magazine that is literally bonded to the receiver cant be argued anything but fixed.

I wouldn't even go that far. My idea is to use a Prince50 mag lock kit with red Locktite to prevent the magazine release button from functioning. The next hurdle is a method to efficiently top load the firearm. My thought is to attach some sort of guide to the upper to allow the use of stripper clips. Something similar to a Maglula StripLula.

I heard back from ARMagLock concerning their statement that the product they sell is NJ compliant. The response was underwhelming at best. A product I thought was going to be a home run is no longer produced. I am attempting to locate the manufacturer for any leftover product.

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following:

So the other offensive characteristics... are not offensive.

prize for you.. 

there is no definition of anything required for fixed... IF the gun can ACCEPT a detachable mag..can you hold a mag in your hand.. that is detachable.. and then in any way put it into the gun.. then it fits this definition.. 

is the gun semi auto.. can a detachable mag be put into that gun.. taking the gun apart is of no consequence.. 

• Like 1

I have a magazine lock coming later this week. It replaces the magazine release button. The previous product I tried was unsatisfactory, as it only prevented the magazine from being released by means of a set screw. The screw could be removed with a tool without disassembling the firearm, therefore I thought it was too much of a legal risk to use. I'll report back after I receive and install it.

• Like 1

A solution to a fucked up Cali problem. However it has potential to solving a fucked up NJ problem as well.

You know as well as I, sometimes you have to solve the problems in front of you the best you can, not the best way possible.

If anyone is interested in a Pro-Ord (Bushmaster predecessor) Jersey-legal AR pistol, there is 1 in the used handgun case in Cabela's in Christiana DE.

I was in the store today to pick up primers and browsed the right side of the handgun case, and there it was.

Surprised the hell out of me to see it!

$699 and no tax (which will make up for the transfer fee your NJ FFL will charge you for the incoming transfer.

Has anybody made any headway on this “fixed magazine” scenario? 

If you use the new MEAN arms permenant magazine lock, then I can’t find any single law why we can’t have an AR pistol of our choice. No weight limit, any barrel, any Handguard, any muzzle device, even a brace. Top loading is inconvenient but they even make ejection port loaders and for a range toy it’s not that bad of a thing to deal with.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-lock

I did some research and the NJ Pistol Permit is just to Purchase a pistol. My local dealer said he’d have to transfer me a factory fresh stripped lower as an “other” firearm. After searching, it is federally legal and totally fine to build an AR pistol lower from a factory fresh stripped lower. 

Anybody give it a go yet?