Sign in to follow this  
BlueLineFish

Finally Got a Ruger Precision

Which cal?

I got the 6.5 cause I already have a 308 in that range.

I added a Monopod, Brake, Harris BP, MP PRS and alumin bolt shroud. (In middle)

Scope is a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP MOA Ebr1

40a660d7eb4e8974e777841b82b275b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Show her the RPR online with price, then show her a precision equivalent that runs for over $6K and she'll understand.;)

Congrats- definitely on my list as well, just need to convince the wife!

Which cal?

I got the 6.5 cause I already have a 308 for longer range.

I added a Monopod, Brake, Harris BP, MP PRS and alumin bolt shroud. (In middle)

Scope is a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP MOA Ebr1

40a660d7eb4e8974e777841b82b275b4.jpg

What do you mean .308 for longer range?  6.5c will outperform your .308 at long distances, more energy, less drop, less wind deflection.

• Like 1

What do you mean .308 for longer range? 6.5c will outperform your .308 at long distances, more energy, less drop, less wind deflection.

I know that. Come to think of it, I told you that. Lol...

Thats why I said I didn't get the 308.

Opps, just reread my message. Mistyped. I knew what I meant. Should of said something to the nature in that range, not long range. Rough day yesterday. Solly chally. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that. Come to think of it, I told you that. Lol...

Thats why I said I didn't get the 308.

Opps, just reread my message. Mistyped. I knew what I meant. Should of said something to the nature in that range, not long range. Rough day yesterday. Solly chally. ;)

I'm not ragging on you just protecting the integrity of the 6.5mm sized cartridges.  The RPRs really do look like the deal of the century.  I fired the .308 at CR and it's worth every penny and more IMHO.

I'm not ragging on you just protecting the integrity of the 6.5mm sized cartridges. The RPRs really do look like the deal of the century. I fired the .308 at CR and it's worth every penny and more IMHO.

I know... No protection needed. Its my new fav caliber. :)

Next time I go up to shoot the 6.5, come on up.

What do you mean .308 for longer range?  6.5c will outperform your .308 at long distances, more energy, less drop, less wind deflection.

Just for nit picking's sake, the 308 has more energy out to around 600 yds.  From there, the higher BC 6.5's take over.

I bought a brass catcher for the 3 main rifles. I'm tired of picking up either to throw away or give away. Guess I have to start learn reloading. Especially since the apocalypse is getting near. ;)

Maybe there are classes somewhere.

I bought a brass catcher for the 3 main rifles. I'm tired of picking up either to throw away or give away. Guess I have to start learn reloading. Especially since the apocalypse is getting near. ;)

Maybe there are classes somewhere.

Let me know when. I'll help you get started.

• Like 1

Let me know when. I'll help you get started.

Thanks. I am always ready. But the funds are not. ;)

I wouldn't mind watching the process though.

2 questions about the RPR. it seems these come in two configs for each caliber. is the only difference between them that one comes with a muzzle brake and the other doesn't? looks like the rail section is a bit different as well (though both are keymod?). also, because it's bolt action, none of the usual nonsense nj rules apply, correct? adjustable stock, threaded barrel (not pinned) are ok? out of the box this would be nj legal?

It's a bolt, no stupid assault craps applies.  The second gen model changed a few things.  Better handguard, the plastic bolt shroud was replaced by a metal piece, and improved muzzle brake.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/4/new-ruger-unveils-enhanced-precision-rifle/

• Like 1

It's a bolt, no stupid assault craps applies. The second gen model changed a few things. Better handguard, the plastic bolt shroud was replaced by a metal piece, and improved muzzle brake.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/4/new-ruger-unveils-enhanced-precision-rifle/

Not an 'improved' muzzle brake. Just 'a' muzzle brake. My 1st gen just had a thread protector. That was fine because I'd rather select my own which I did.

ok here's my last dumb question about the rpr. getting REALLY close to buying. deciding between 6.5 or 308. don't want to start a war and i've read lots of pros and cons for each. only con for me with the 6.5 is cost. 308 (7.62) rounds are MUCH cheaper with a lot more variety, which to me is the most important factor as i plan on shooting the hell out of this thing. my dumb question is this: assuming i go with the 308 version, am i gtg with all of these 7.62x51 surplus deals floating around? is the 308 barrel on this rifle 100% interchangeable between the 308 and 7.62 nato rounds? any downside of using the 7.62 here? i understand the tech aspect (lower pressure), but again, cost is the overriding factor and the nato surplus stuff has some really good pricing atm. just wan to make sure i can actually use it and enjoy it with this rifle. if not and i'm stuck with specifically 308 cartridges for whatever reason, well, the 6.5 suddenly becomes a little more palatable

If you are not buying match ammo for it, buy an $800 Rem 700 in

.308 and have fun. The word Precision is the clue here. 6.5 match is not much more than 308... I run 6.5 Hornady match and its a tight nail driver. Like Shane said, why by a precision weapon and run crap through it. The next thing you'll tell us you are going to be putting a cheap Simmons scope on it. Don't skimp.

My RPR is in the middle.

f309b187f26a351c423365cf5af38bc6.jpg

• Like 1

Match ammo vs match ammo price is very close. Barrel life is not. But we live in the land of 300 yds max at the vast majority of ranges here. Gravity is consistent so does it really matter if your bullet dropped 300 or 400 inches at 1000yds on a KD range? Drift. This is indeed a significant advantage of the 6.5. But it is still a skill you need to learn. Are you good enough to make a wind call that the 5" difference between the two at 500 yds matters? Keep in mind you will still need to compensate for both! A 5mph error in wind call is roughly 8" @ 500 for 6.5. Look, I like the 6.5. Ive shot them for over 8 years now, way before they became all the rage. But in our area, I would not thumb my nose at a 308 just because its a 308. To put it plainly, at the level of expertise most of us are at, it just doesn't matter much and a case could be made for learning on a cartridge that will teach you all you need to know about drop and drift. So while learning, which requires a solid amount of shooting(some say about 5k rounds to learn a specific rifle/caliber), it might not be a bad idea to be shooting the rifle that has long barrel life. When you reach the point of struggling to remain competitive or when it really matters, by all means go 6.5. The RPR factory barrels don't have that great of a rep, so cutting your teeth on the 308 and then having the option to go 6.5 with a custom barrel from the likes of LRI later is a good plan IMO.

• Like 1