Lambo2936

Some AR ??'s, looking for a CQ setup

Hey folks, looking to buy/build an AR for CQ.. As short as possible (i realize barrel length would be an issue, but i can do 14.5" with a long brake, right?) and i plan on putting some sort of EO/red dot on it. I have my DDM4V5LW (I believe thats the model) which is great but its a bit longer than i'd like with the massive brake on it and what not. Any suggestions a far as something i could find/special order that would be a good ready to go unit? I'll probably end up having to do some research and build something, but i'd rather not. The less recoil, the better. I'd consider some other rifle that could also be equipped with some rails for a light, etc. Something like a NJ-legal MP5 would be cool but that, too, would have to have a 16" barrel, making it somewhat obsolete. I'm considering a TAVOR, too, but i dont know how i feel about one until i get the chance to shoot and handle one; they seem fairly hard to come by, but that would realistically probably be optimal so that i can still meet the legal minimum barrel and overall lengths while having a rifle about the length of an SBR.

I'm not sure why you'd rather a 14.5" barrel with a pinned brake, you may as well get a 16" crowned barrel. Also, if you already have an AR any 16" upper will work, just slap it on. If you are moving on to bullpups your overall length can be a little shorter because your 16" barrel starts a lot farther back.

KR i want something just like that but without the fixed sight.
I'd like to have a high end brake/comp on there for obvious reasons. I've found that a good brake makes a huge difference, after owning one of the NJ compliant model rifles with nothing on it.
That said, yeah, that is definitely the benefit of bullpups especially in states such as ours where otherwise you can't legally have such a short rifle. Maybe i can find someone on here with a TAVOR that is willing to let me try it out before i decide to drop almost 2k on an x95.

I work at Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood.

We have a Tavor to rent. We also have a non-pinned AR that you can get pinned at the shortest setting. Additionally, we have a new AR made by a Keyport, NJ company with a rather short fixed stock.

Stop on by.

I work at Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood.

We have a Tavor to rent. We also have a non-pinned AR that you can get pinned at the shortest setting. Additionally, we have a new AR made by a Keyport, NJ company with a rather short fixed stock.

Stop on by.

What AR is made in nj?

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I'd like to know, as well. Would be cool to have a locally manufactured/assembled AR.

Some deeper digging found this:
https://www.facebook.com/modernmateriel/photos/a.914180765304123.1073741827.900746599980873/956796994375833/?type=3&theater

http://modernmateriel.com/

While a Tavor, or any bullpup, can be shorter, it does have its own issues.  Some things I don't like about bullpups are the trigger feels, unfamiliar magazine location and ejection port location.

The trigger can a lil mushy or not crisp due to the long linkage that runs down the rearward located action.  The mag release and mag itself is in an odd location, as compared to most semi autos.  And, the ejection port is real close to your face.

While all those issues can be overcome with regular, dedicated training... I, personally, would rather stick to a platform that I don't need extra training for.  Especially since we are talking about a potential HD gun.

Midwest Industries SS 12" rail

16" barrel with Battle Comp 1.5 compensator 

Ace Skeleton stock

Hogue pistol grip

Troy rear DOA BUIS, front Troy folding sight

Optic is Primary Arms, but has been replace with Aimpoiint PRO

Geiselle SSA-E trigger

I do like BCM rifles. 

post-1277-0-13629400-1470921550_thumb.jpg

I don't have a pic of it, but my HD rifle is a Colt 6920 with a 14.5" barrel (pinned and welded to 16", of course), and an M4 RAS. Optic is a Trijicon SRS, and a SureFire light.

Stock is a Colt-Rogers Super Stok, pinned to my liking. ACT trigger.

Simple, and familiar.

I think my best bet is probably to just do a build. Odds are, my fiance wont even notice if i buy parts here and there over the course of two or three months, LOL.
Any suggestions for cool, tacticool lowers? I like the look of the engraved ones, but am at a complete loss when it comes to individual AR components; i have zero knowledge whatsoever when it comes to that. It's probably time to learn, though!

Obviously, i won't sacrifice looks over performance, though i dont know how much of a difference the quality of lower can really make? The lighter the better, i suppose. I can always cerakote or put a cool decal on it. Let me know what you guys think!

If you want something tacticool, look into spikes billet lowers.

http://www.spikestactical.com/billet-lowers-c-104_144.html

I'm not fan, but that's because i'm more traditional.

My LW builds have always used a CHF 14.5" BCM barrel + 1.5" brake, and i'm using a 9" hand guard with a de-lugged A2 FSB. The longer rails start adding weight along with dedicated front sight and gas block.

I'm not sure why you'd rather a 14.5" barrel with a pinned brake, you may as well get a 16" crowned barrel.

A TC'd barrel looks like a  flame thrower firing in a confined, dark space. Your natural night vision is gonna be toast. lol.

• Like 1

How much different is it with a thread protector or muzzle brake ?

I have some video of a low light rifle class I took, and we were walking and shooting 2 at a time. In the one video it's got a guy w/ a target crowned barrel and one with a brake shooting side by side. The target crowned barrel lights up the range like a bolt of lightning. If I remember, I'll link the video when I get home. I'd think a barrel w/ a thread protector would be just as flashy.

EDIT: Found the video -> https://youtu.be/yG9MVf6V384

????? I'm a little lost here...

Target Crowned.... I was just too lazy to type it out lol

I'm 22 and played airsoft as a kid....

I like Tacticool.... LOL

Edit: I just looked at your link; that isn't exactly what i meant.

I've seen lowers with american flags etched/engraved/printed on them (not sure) and stuff like that; that is what i'm looking for, haha. What you linked me to is a bit much, even for me, hahaha.

I'm 34 and I still play Airsoft

I played for a while up at cookies and what not, but after high school the group i played with sort of died out, unfortunately.

It's funny that i can bring myself to spend thousands on firearms, but 300$ on a somewhat high end AEG is just too much, haha. I had my KWA SR10 (i believe was the model?) for a while, and still have it, but i went to play around with it the other day after having it sit for a while and it was totally seized. Gearbox is probably shot, as the motor works fine. I'll probably try and sell it for a few bucks to someone willing to fix it and pick one up eventually if i can find other locals willing to play again.