leo-польд

Short AK pistols in NJ

Hi,

Anyone could explain why AK pistol like Arsenal SLR-106UR Krink Pistol is illigal in NJ? I have pistol permit to buy pistol but I told by my gunsmith that he can't order it for me because it is illigal in NJ. Same time he got me two different Arsenal full sized rifles with no problem.

If it is pistol by defenition, without stock and shorter why it is illigal?

Thanks!

Here's how NJ defines a pistol "assault weapon" ("Assault weapons" are illegal):

B. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
  2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
  3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
  4. manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
  5. a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and,

Your AK Pistol is illegal because it is semi-automatic, has a magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip (1 "evil feature") and weighs more than 50 ounces (1 "evil feature").

Semi-automatic plus 2 "evil features" = illegal "assault weapon".

Their logic is 'ass'tonishing.... You'd think they'd want it to be as heavy as piss so you cannot conceal it or stick it down your shorts, up your peachka or otherwise. :vinsent:

Interesting, so if I buy large pistol like Muser it would be heavy and illigal? I guess no logic again :(

A Broomhandle Mauser weighs about 40 oz. It has a fixed magazine so it doesn't attach outside the pistol grip. It's legal, no evil features.

Their logic is 'ass'tonishing.... You'd think they'd want it to be as heavy as piss so you cannot conceal it or stick it down your shorts, up your peachka or otherwise. :vinsent:

No logic, pistol is pistol and we are in draconian state where permit to purchase pistol is not enough. Next time think twice before voting for any one of them...

• Like 1

No logic, pistol is pistol and we are in draconian state where permit to purchase pistol is not enough. Next time think twice before voting for any one of them...

Think twice? You are preaching to a pretty old choir. I never voted for arseholes.

PS: My post was sarcasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get an East German Stock plug for NJ Legal AK Rifle called a Schmeisser Style stock used to be sold by Federal Arms Corp. Now you have a legal AK pistol that meets all rifle requirements. Not sure what you plan on shooting with it. I would be willing to bet you couldn't hit a 24" target at 50yds consistently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You can get an East German Stock plug for NJ Legal AK Rifle called a Schmeisser Style stock used to be sold by Federal Arms Corp. Now you have a legal AK pistol that meets all rifle requirements. Not sure what you plan on shooting with it. I would be willing to bet you couldn't hit a 24" target at 50yds consistently.

Isn't that an underfolder style stock?  Would definitely need to be pinned in place...

Isn't that an underfolder style stock? Would definitely need to be pinned in place...

My understanding is it is literally just a plug. Trying to find picture. Another option would be to buy a cheap Bulgarian butt stock and cut it flush with the metal.

Here is a similar design

http://riflestocks.com/store/a542.html

Is made to attach stock to but just leave as is.

ATF has said there is no restriction to removing the butt stock as long as rifle is at least 26" and barrel is at least 16". Simply plugging the receiver of an AK it still meets both requirements. I see nothing in NJ law that would make it illegal either. Why someone would want to do it is a whole other thing. They aren't the most accurate rifle to begin with, but to each their own. OP I'm sure will have to do Mod himself (which would be easy enough) because no NJ FFL that cares about their license would want to be involved.

7af26124381e1865b961a5ab069a4f7f.jpg

If it's 26" aol it's not a pistol. And you can take your stock off in NJ and it's still considered a long gun, if barrel length (16" min) and oal are within ATF accordance of not being an SBR. This is about as close to an AK pistol as you're going to get in NJ.

The three pluses to this configuration is you get the pistol look, you don't need a P2P, and you retain the front handguard, unlike an AR pistol.

Interesting that we can't have short rifles with less than 16" barrel. we can't have pistols if mag is attached sepparate even with pistol permits on hands. Same time we can't have Uzi which is perfectly matching pistol definition and mag attachment just because of scary UZI name on it :( Am I correct?

You can have one if you figure out how to permanently attach the magazine. Would be a PITA to load and is significantly less fun than a real Draco.... but does raise a middle finger to NJ's ridiculous laws. lol.

I was going to actually do this with an AR pistol, was planning to figure out a way to permanently fix the mag, and pivot the upper to load the mag, kinda like they do in CA. That way I could have a 10" barrel, hand guard, and sig brace on it. Only reason I haven't is that I don't want to use a p2p on it lol

Interesting that we can't have short rifles with less than 16" barrel. we can't have pistols if mag is attached sepparate even with pistol permits on hands. Same time we can't have Uzi which is perfectly matching pistol definition and mag attachment just because of scary UZI name on it :( Am I correct?

Damn Israelis! :codemafia:

so i have a way to permanently attach a magazine to my AK and also load it with the magazine attached without removing the top cover, bolt carrier etc.

Now if the AK is over 26" long with out a buttstock this qualifies it at as AOL? and not a pistol or SBR?

What does AOL stand for?

I have a AK74 Build i want to do without a buttstock if its possible but without getting my self into all sorts of legal crap.

so i have a way to permanently attach a magazine to my AK and also load it with the magazine attached without removing the top cover, bolt carrier etc.

Now if the AK is over 26" long with out a buttstock this qualifies it at as AOL? and not a pistol or SBR?

What does AOL stand for?

I have a AK74 Build i want to do without a buttstock if its possible but without getting my self into all sorts of legal crap.

It would still be a rifle, just without a stock. Much like a shotgun with just a pistol grip is still a shotgun, the AK rifle is still an AK rifle because it was originally manufactured to have a  stock attached. If your AK is over 26" total w/o the buttstock, and at least 16" barrel length, you don't have to permanently attach a mag, as it's still legally a long gun. Only if you shorten the barrel past the 16" and/or shorten overall length past 26" (while not having a stock, otherwise it's a SBR) do you need to permanently attach the mag to keep it from becoming a semi-auto "assault" pistol.