Purple Patrick

Going to Colorado. Any must see places?

Leaving Monday for Colorado. We will be in Denver for 2 days(seeing a Rockies game already), Estes state Park for 4 days and Breckenridge for a week. We will have a vehicle so traveling is easier. So far my only plans are at the Breckenridge brewery.

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

If your into hiking there's a park in Loveland I think it's called devils back bone. Some nice views out there. For horseback riding there's sombrero stables in Estes park and in Loveland there's a place right on 34 before you get up by the big Thompson river heading to Estes park. I'll be out that way first week of September visiting with the girlfriends parents in Estes park

The Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs had a very nice range. The facility is open for tours.

If you are near Royal Gorge and Garden of the Gods, they're pretty cool.

+1 for royal gorge and garden of the gods. Also don't pass up pikes peak if your in the Colorado Springs area. There is a gold mine you can tour in Silverton that's 1k feet underground. I'll think of more and text you.

Any chance you've got room in the trunk for me?? and i guess my daughter and fiance too... :/

Heh. Reminds me of when I was in Spain and we drove from Barcelona to Malaga. 6 people plus luggage in a 5 seater car for 9 hours

Essential stops when you arrive in Colorado:

1) Employment Office

2) Realtor

3) DMV

I'll be looking at possible employment when I go.... heck I've worked at a garden center for the 24 years I've been alive. I might have a skill set they need right now LOL

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.

Manitou Springs and Pike's Peak cogged railway (get tix early in seats facing the mountain).

Canyon City jeep tour was great up Fremont mtn. and over the Arkansas River gorge.

There's also the Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver - just to visit or see a show.

If you happen to be on 160 anywhere between Alamosa and Durango, check out Wolf Creek Pass. This isn't exactly a monument, and I wouldn't necessarily say you should drive out of your way to see it.

But look at the Google map, zoom all the way in, switch to the Earth view, and follow the road marked 402 to the end. That's on top of a mountain peak, and if you look closely at the building on the left you'll see it's a microwave relay station. Beyond the loop at the end of that road is a picnic area. See the benches? We ate lunch there while looking at a 360 degree view for I-don't-know-how-many-miles of four states! There's nothing on 160 to indicate this except a normal size street sign that said "Scenic View". We just saw it by luck. And it was some drive up that 402 road to get there. Sort of like Mount Washington. But it was worth it!

I wasn't surprised when I saw the AT&T Long Lines station. When you find one of those, you know you're on the highest piece of ground around.

Regardless, enjoy the state. If they hadn't been contaminated by all the CA liberals I might have considered moving there myself. 

Have close relatives in Estes, and have visited a 1/2 doz. times over the yrs. Definitely recommend spending some time hiking Rocky Mntn. Nat. Park. The hike to Mills Lake is nice. It's not unusual to wake up and see a small group of elk in their yard too. The area thins out after August. Wish I was there now!

well, it's not ski season. I would head north a little and stay around Boulder or Table Mesa. Might as well hit the open air mall at night in Boulder and check out the street performers and parties at night. I'm sure there is weed for sale if you are into that. It is VERY bike friendly. If you think you are in good shape, ride your bike up the flatirons to Flagstaff. You will probably nearly kill yourself. But there are always people up there at night doing stargazing or screening movies. And the ride back down will scare the living crap out of you in a good way.

Follow Boulder Creek up into the foothills/mountains and fish for trout at the reservior. Once you get up there the mountains never end and there are endless mines. Some are abandoned and some offer guided tours. Also mineral shops. You can even find small amounts or gold panning in Boulder Creek.

If you follow Boulder Creek east toward the plains after it leaves town there are bike paths next to the creek and ponds loaded with bass.

There are several trails to the Continental Divide, but the shortest ones are about 8miles each way so you better have your shit together. There are also shorter trails to pleasant destinations such as high altitude lakes or snow covered mountains (in August). Watch for avalanche, check weather before you depart, and bring a radio. If you see weather change, either head out or find shelter. People freeze to death in rain at high altitude and gigantic hail is also frequent. Take inventory of natural shelters along your path as you enjoy your hike and if it starts to rain make a b-line for one. The temp could suddenly drop 30° or the rain could turn to large hail.

A little further south is Copper Mountain, which I think is kind of dumb but it is a high altitude that you can drive to and there is a little museum on top. People like to go there for whatever reason.

Landed this morning, checked out a few places do far. Hit Wynkoop brewery which was nice, illegal Pete's it's like über punk hipster chipotle that's also a bar it's pretty sweet. Currently at the Celtic tavern which is a Irish bar, cigar bar and betting place. Heading to the Rockies game in an hour