Ace08066

Clearcoat a camo paintjob? Thoughts?

So...  This happened today.

13882389_1149998178407507_20249832346523

I'm happy with it...  But now I'm torn.  It has a really nice, ultra-flat finish you can't really see well in the photo.  I want to preserve the paint as long as possible, which leads me to want to put a layer or two of clear coat on it....  But I don't want to end up with a semi-gloss finish or really ANY reflectivity at all with the clear coat.  

Anyone "been-there-done-that" recommend a good sealer / clear coat that will NOT add reflectivity?

I know they make flat/matte clear coats. Whether or not they would be good is beyond me.
Keep in mind that if you put a few rounds down range, the paint on the barrel may not hold up very well.

(example:)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Flat-Matte-Clear-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249087/100670439

Edit #2: Reviews on it are horrible, so dont use it. 

I know they make flat/matte clear coats. Whether or not they would be good is beyond me.

Keep in mind that if you put a few rounds down range, the paint on the barrel may not hold up very well.

(example:)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Flat-Matte-Clear-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249087/100670439

Edit #2: Reviews on it are horrible, so dont use it. 

Should hold up, I didn't use that generic camo paint I used the 1,000+ degree engine paint.  Kinda wish I got Olive for the base instead of tan now but little late for that heh.

The only clearcoat they had that was 1,000+ degree was fucking super gloss.  :( And yeah I saw those reviews lol thanks anyway tho!!

^Thats what im thinking.. i dont think a clear will do much.. You'll be touching up a paint job like that fairly regularly, though i personally like worn/faded camo jobs; you cant get that effect with fancy techniques. 

Never painted a gun. If painting AR's do you take it all apart before spraying it or can you do it completely assembled and whats the best technique?

Completely assembled is fine. Wipe it down with alcohol and just spray right on the gun. Find the color palate you want and whatever you want to use as a pattern

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Thanks 

I roll up paper and put it in the bolt to keep paint outta there.  I like to hang it up to paint it.  For my shotgun I punched out the primer on a spent shell, put a string through it, tied it to a small washer, put the shell in the barrel and the string came out the end of the barrel I hung it on a hook.  Worked like a charm.  Imagine it'd work just as well with an AR though never tried.

Edit: Until the damn string broke and I just hung it as you see in the pic.  LOL

Someone ought to start a Rattle Can Photo thread.

So many ways you can do it. My last one, I used the Rustoleum Camo 6 pack and nothing more than some cheap fish net stockings. Carefully put whole rifle in the leg, tie off the end, rearrange the diamonds all over the gun and you end with a rattle snake pattern. Was going to clear coat it but didn't think it was necessary. Can always repaint it.

Couple areas like theMP buis didn't hold perfect but everything else came out pretty good.

95235427e6835d7e5f6dc0de8604906b.jpg

d0e549478086d19b482aa9a13f5878ea.jpg

ab0f8259f586263cb56e56966be0185e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a bad ass paintjob, man...

Thanks. As long as you cleaned it good and didn't put paint on real heavy, it should hold up fine. Paint needs to be fine layers. I've shot it several times since the paint job and paint is still holding on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishnet stockings patterns turns me on. :dancer:

I got extra leg left in fluorescent orange, you want it? lol.

Orange, Std Size (5'-5'10", 100-175 lbs) - Nylon Seamless Fishnet Pantyhose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SKTVME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.m5Rxb517B541

Paul,

I just realized I will be 20 minutes away from your store in 10 days! My job is sending me to Phoenix for training for a week.

Ha...Me in Arizona in August....Not looking forward to the HEAT!  :diablo:  Or Scorpions, Black Widow Spiders, Rattlesnakes (Even though John says they taste like chicken) etc.

Paul,

I just realized I will be 20 minutes away from your store in 10 days! My job is sending me to Phoenix for training for a week.

Ha...Me in Arizona in August....Not looking forward to the HEAT! :diablo: Or Scorpions, Black Widow Spiders, Rattlesnakes etc.

By all means, try the snake. It is delish! Taste like chicken! Not kidding! :)