fumanchu182

Request for SSL to be installed for njgunforums.com

21 posts in this topic

I'm not one for dishing my information up to the state of NJ voluntarily, can we have SSL installed so we may use the https:// protocol so that our information is encrypted from prying eyes?  Obviously there are still prying eyes for public posts to the forums but it would help alleviate passing our passwords and email in clear text.  If you need help installing this or have questions about it you can PM me directly.  I'll even offer to pitch in to cover the cost of the certificate.

1 person likes this

Everything publicly visible here would still be publicly visible.  The data between your PC and the server would be encrypted but once you posted it here publicly, it would be here publicly.  Everybody who came here to read your posts would be retrieving them over a secure connection but would still be able to retrieve them. The only advantage I see is that your ISP wouldn't know what you were looking at.

Everything publicly visible here would still be publicly visible. The data between your PC and the server would be encrypted but once you posted it here publicly, it would be here publicly. Everybody who came here to read your posts would be retrieving them over a secure connection but would still be able to retrieve them. The only advantage I see is that your ISP wouldn't know what you were looking at.

And your authentication credentials(login/passwd) would be encrypted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything publicly visible here would still be publicly visible.  The data between your PC and the server would be encrypted but once you posted it here publicly, it would be here publicly.  Everybody who came here to read your posts would be retrieving them over a secure connection but would still be able to retrieve them. The only advantage I see is that your ISP wouldn't know what you were looking at.

Your ISP would be able to see which domains you visit if you use their nameservers-- but most people do, since it's the default. If you don't use your ISP's nameservers, you would use someone else's, and then they can see where you go. HTTPS will only secure your username, password, and the data transferred between you and the NJGF server.

I think it's a good idea, but that will cost some time and money for Maks.

Your ISP would be able to see which domains you visit if you use their nameservers-- but most people do, since it's the default. If you don't use your ISP's nameservers, you would use someone else's, and then they can see where you go. HTTPS will only secure your username, password, and the data transferred between you and the NJGF server.

I think it's a good idea, but that will cost some time and money for Maks.

If you're worried about your domain lookups, there is always FreeDNS

https://freedns.zone/en/

Your provider will always know where your traffic goes, just by IP. Unless you use anonymizers like Tor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk