Cereza

Learning proper handgun technique?

(i.e. what to do after a basic pistol course)

What would forum members recommend as the next step in improving technique/accuracy? I had a rather frustrating session at the range this weekend and I think I'm at the limit as far as self-correction goes. 

Instructor/class recommendations? Extra points if they're in Monmouth County.  :good:

Try dry fire practice at home.  Get some snap caps.  Make sure you're unloaded or have only snap caps.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ammos-gone-dry-fire-drills/

Wall drill is a good one to do too

http://pistol-training.com/archives/118

Practice holster draw - draw/re-holster safely.

All shooting is not disturbing the sights while pressing the trigger to the rear as smooth as you can. With proper fundamentals will come speed.

With that being said trying to self correct without knowing what you are doing wrong is hard.

Not all Basic/Beginner classes are the same.

NRA classes aren't horrible, but there are other options.

NRA instructors are taught to teach the basics to new shooters.  NRA coaches are trained to make those shooters better.   Go to the NRA training site and search for an NRA coach.  You can email one and see what an our or two at the range would cost.  An hour spent with a coach will solve whatever problem you are having and get you back on track to practicing on your own.

Try dry fire practice at home.  Get some snap caps.  Make sure you're unloaded or have only snap caps.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ammos-gone-dry-fire-drills/

Wall drill is a good one to do too

http://pistol-training.com/archives/118

Practice holster draw - draw/re-holster safely.

Thanks for the link to the wall drill. I have snap caps, but no holster. It didn't seem all that necessary when I purchased my firearm because a) NJ, and b) I think the range I shoot at doesn't allow holster draw (though I may have to double-check that the next time I'm there as I can't find mention now on the website). 

All shooting is not disturbing the sights while pressing the trigger to the rear as smooth as you can. With proper fundamentals will come speed.

With that being said trying to self correct without knowing what you are doing wrong is hard.

Not all Basic/Beginner classes are the same.

NRA classes aren't horrible, but there are other options.

Care to recommend a specific class/place? I've found a number of classes online, but from where I sit it's a lot of ad copy.  Recommendations are always preferable to marketing.

(Quick side note: Am I the only one who finds it annoying that a lot of places won't list pricing? I realize that variables are involved and not all classes are created equal, but even a general price range would be preferable to "please contact us". :telephone: )

NRA instructors are taught to teach the basics to new shooters.  NRA coaches are trained to make those shooters better.   Go to the NRA training site and search for an NRA coach.  You can email one and see what an our or two at the range would cost.  An hour spent with a coach will solve whatever problem you are having and get you back on track to practicing on your own.

The NRA website is currently designed to funnel everything through courses, starting with a required "Phase One" which seems redundant to the "Basic Pistol" I already took at GFH. If there's a list of coaches, I can't find it… :think:

Thanks for the link to the wall drill. I have snap caps, but no holster. It didn't seem all that necessary when I purchased my firearm because a) NJ, and b) I think the range I shoot at doesn't allow holster draw (though I may have to double-check that the next time I'm there as I can't find mention now on the website). 

Doesn't always seem necessary but if you need to put it down quick and keep it on your body, it's better than sticking it in a waistband or pocket.  You can pop a paddle holster in your pants pretty quickly.... and you can carry about the house if you so choose.

I'm also segueing into a holster (and mag holders) so you could start shooting competition.  USPSA/IDPA is a great way to get some practice in situations where you have to move/cover/etc. and not purely be standing in one spot punching holes in paper.

Care to recommend a specific class/place? I've found a number of classes online, but from where I sit it's a lot of ad copy. Recommendations are always preferable to marketing.

(Quick side note: Am I the only one who finds it annoying that a lot of places won't list pricing? I realize that variables are involved and not all classes are created equal, but even a general price range would be preferable to "please contact us". :telephone: )

The NRA website is currently designed to funnel everything through courses, starting with a required "Phase One" which seems redundant to the "Basic Pistol" I already took at GFH. If there's a list of coaches, I can't find it… :think:

PM me. I have a few options.

GFH and RTSP both offer private lessons and their instructors are good.

Look at the SAW group http://sawshootingclub.com/ they do travel to different ranges and have range days. Shari and Sandra are good people.

If you have a friend who can shoot (better than you) also might be a cheaper alternative if they can see and correct what your errors are (if any)

Good grip, good stance, good sight alignment, and good trigger control will all give you good results on paper. All of which can be fine tuned with dryfire.

Edit to add http://www.gardenstateshootingcenter.com/ might be closer to you.

I'd double down on Krdshrk's dry fire advice.

One other little trick is to get someone else to load your mags, (or load several yourself), and slip a snap cap in

every once in awhile. If you"re flinching, or tightening your grip before you shoot, you can deny it, you can argue with a coach that you're not doing it - but if you come up on a snap cap by surprise,and if you are if you're flinching there will be no denying it.

Yes, Jimmy G. at GFH does private lessons. I've never gotten private instruction from him but I've heard great things. Give them a call or shoot him an email. I'm sure his email is on their site.

I got a private lesson from Jimmy pretty early on in my shooting education and I'm glad that I did. He was able to diagnose my issues and give me advice that I'm still using to this very day.

• Like 1

Go shoot matches. 

^^^^^THIS!  And there are different disciplines in every platform category too!  Bullseye Pistol will teach you to put every round through the same hole at 25 yards using strong hand only.  USPSA will teach you gun handling, runnin' and gunnin' as well as muzzle awareness and a whole host of other recognizable, tangible talents.  IDPA the same, only more so from behind cover and not exposed out in the open.  Most local matches run $40 or less, are open to the public (even at private range league events on the clubs' calendar), and you may be able to join USPSA and shoot the first match for FREE!?  So you can spend $200 on "training" or you can be "diagnosed" by friendly chop-busters that will show you the ropes, lend you their equipment and teach you how to be SAFE and have FUN!  

If you go the extra mile and join a private club that hosts such league matches, you get to shoot at discounted member rates (some leagues are just $5-$10 plus ammo).  Pick your platform (pistol, rifle, scattergun), pick your game (see league calendar) and learn thru osmosis.  You'll find the confidence you're lookin' for and a WHOLE lot more!  Be forewarned though, you may have so much fun that you'll wanna buy some new toyz (like your new friends have).  In the meantime, dance with the girl ya brought!

Watching videos may help somewhat.  Nothing beats practice though.

Learn from the master, Hickock45.  He has a few videos that go over the basics.  The suggestions to participate in USPSA or IDPA events is a good one (which I should do again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Cf0WEeXZk