RobCo

Gunbroker gripes

I should know better than attempt to purchase anything on Gunbroker. 

First I had attempted to purchase a Mini-14, the price seemed decent and then I changed my mind and canceled the sale, and the vendor wanted to charge me a re-listing fee for canceling the order.

Then I had another one tell me that another rifle I was interested in - the DSA SA58 was not legal in NJ. Of course the wonderful ambiguous retarded gun laws here in the People's Republic of NJ doesn't help

When I bought my Springfield I was told not to bother dealing with anything on Gunbroker, I can see the point now

With the mini 14, did you commit to the sale and then change your mind? If so I agree with the seller and I would want a restocking fee also. No offense.

I also don't blame the guy selling the sa58 for not wanting to sell to a NJ resident either. Out of state sellers tend to be very cautious as they don't want to violate some stupid state law by accident.

I have used GB a few times without any issues

• Like 3

I have used GB and have had no problems, either.  Check seller's ratings and terms of sale, and results were painless transactions.  If they will not sell to NJ, I just move on, plenty that will.

Like eBay having the winning bid is a contract to buy.  It doesn't appear he is hitting you for final value fees or a restocking fee but the fee he pre-paid to list.  Some listing are more expensive than others, gallery, number of pictures and other options.  He could have been out a few to over 30 dollars just to list.  I don't see how he's being a dick if he wants you to cover that if you backed out of a sale.  He will probably give you bad feedback as well.  

I don't see Gunbroker and differently than eBay but only for guns.  I've transacted plenty, a lot of reloading supplies when they were thin, and have never had an issue.  When I was relocating my guns to Florida I sold quite a number on Gunbroker and got better prices than listing on here or AR15.com.  

People get annoyed by GB or eBay because it's a good arbiter of price, wide coverage and an auction.  

I love gunbroker. Sounds like you have no idea what your buying. The DSA 58 is illegal in NJ unless modified. This is an auction site, all sales are final and binding. You should also read the listings and terms of sale. I'm gonna guess the listings said no sales to NJ. It's doesnt hurt to ask the seller questions before you buy something either. If he won't ship it to NJ for compliance work then find another one. That's not gunbroker fault.

I've bought a bunch of stuff on gunbroker.

1) Winning an auction is a contract. Op cost the winner money, OP is the jerk i that incident as others have stated. 

2) The only thing that would be problematic with the SA58 one is if they didn't list on the auction that it is not for sale in places X Y and Z. If it was verbiage "not for sale where it is not legal" or similar, I'd have asked before bidding. But if it was any of the current models, it's on you even then, as they come with a detachable mag, flash suppressor and a pistol grip. Already done, regardless of if the FH is removable. 

The problem is the OP, not GB. 

I lose a few dollars a week on eBay due to morons purchasing and paying for an order and then cancelling the order; and that is just from the .30 cents per transaction that paypal KEEPS, even if you change your mind and i issue a 'full' refund.. And no, they dont take it out of what the buyer gets back, they just sneak 30 cents out of my paypal balance.. found this out a few years into selling.. Of course eBay also wont let you charge a restocking fee or anything of the sort...... Never mind listing costs, my time, etc.