antimatter

So I went and got permits and...

The urge to purchase is leaving me!   What is this nonsense about?  Just picked up 3 permits and dont want to waste them all.

I actually have not gone shooting that much due to work schedules.   So i am having a crisis of conscience and cant seem to justify a purchase.

AH whats a boy to do???

I wish i had that problem. Mine is quite the opposite. Not much money, but a fair amount of time to shoot.....
You should donate some money to me that you're earning with all of your OT and i can shoot for the both of us :D!

Everytime I get permits I feel like I just got an unobtainium piece of paper and I may never get another one. After I use them I feel regret that it's gone and it puts a damper on the happiness I should feel that I got a new toy. 

To put it another way I guess it's like having a child. You have to wait nine months to see and hold it and then one day it moves out. 

• Like 2

We NJ people have a P2P disease. 30 days after I use one I start to panic that I haven't selected and ordered my next pistol yet. I really hate to lose them.

My friend from PA thinks we are nuts. He recently went into a gun store to buy a rifle. They then asked him if he wanted to also get a handgun to go with it. If it was only that easy.

I am sure I am buying stuff that if I could just walk in and buy I would not buy now.

So in the end the P2P probably does the exact opposite of what the anti's want: we buy more guns not less.

• Like 1

We NJ people have a P2P disease. 30 days after I use one I start to panic that I haven't selected and ordered my next pistol yet. I really hate to lose them.

My friend from PA thinks we are nuts. He recently went into a gun store to buy a rifle. They then asked him if he wanted to also get a handgun to go with it. If it was only that easy.

I am sure I am buying stuff that if I could just walk in and buy I would not buy now.

So in the end the P2P probably does the exact opposite of what the anti's want: we buy more guns not less.

I don't consider the 30 day rule a restriction but rather a mandate.

I Absolutely agree.... I intend on buying a handgun in about a month that i dont need, nor can i realistically afford to drop another 500$+ after just spending what i did on the other one, haha. Im hoping to sell something by then, but who knows. If i could just walk in and buy what i wanted when i wanted it, there is no doubt that i wouldn't bother buying another HG right now; totally unnecessary as i now have my .45 1911 and Glock 19.  Unless i found a really, really good deal i wouldnt bother.

I agree that there is a whole sigma with the permit nonsense.   So for me there is this crazy sense of urgency as soon as i get them.  Not to mention its a pain in the butt.  fortunately Toms River is great (in my experience)  with the whole thing.  the money is one aspect for sure.  

My Jericho 941 is having some issues and apparently there are no parts available anywhere is this country so i figured i would get some permits to maybe pick something new up to supplement it while i am waiting.  But now that I have the stupid piece of paper i am conflicted.  oh well, i could have worse problems though right?

the whole permit process creates anxiety .. i.e. the Velvet Rope mentality , throw a velvet rope and a bouncer in front of a dive bar and all of a sudden the line is around the corner , creating an air of privilege. when you should be able to just walk in and order a damn drink.

• Like 2

^I agree x3 as well - if we didn't have P2P for handgun I'd probably be less likely to constantly be trying to buy them - I've had my FPID for 3+ years now and only bought a shotgun and rifle with it - but I have 6 pistols in that same time because I "couldn't waste a permit"

Even now, my grandfather has an old Beretta he wants to give me that I could use a permit for, but I have 1 left and might tell him to hang on to it for a bit and buy one more - and when I move down south I'll just take it with me as a gift - in the south you can actually pass firearms down to your family members without getting a pistol permit.

It seems criminal to waste one considering the time (what's the average, 60+ days?), effort (of multiple parties, for example, one's references) and expense ($20 for the criminal background check + $2 per permit in my town) to obtain them.

It's going to be the same thing with ammo if they institute a NICS check for each purchase. I don't think I would buy anything less than 1000 rounds if I had to pay a $15 fee each time.

... in the south you can actually pass firearms down to your family members without getting a pistol permit.

You can actually do that in NJ also (of course you have to die first). They are so nice in NJ.

It's going to be the same thing with ammo if they institute a NICS check for each purchase. I don't think I would buy anything less than 1000 rounds if I had to pay a $15 fee each time.

You wish it will be that easy.  Given that NJ legislators have tried everything in the book, beware.  I envision ammo licenses, quantity limits and reporting, in person only sales,  anything to restrict your purchasing power and storage of ammo.  You have a 16 month head start, get busy.

You wish it will be that easy.  Given that NJ legislators have tried everything in the book, beware.  I envision ammo licenses, quantity limits and reporting, in person only sales,  anything to restrict your purchasing power and storage of ammo.  You have a 16 month head start, get busy.

Already on it- making a trip to NC to finalize where we are going to end up living in 5 weeks - if for some reason we decide against it, then its off to the smokies somewhere between the west NC/TN border, maybe Knoxville.

Man i would love to move, however i am on the tail end of my mortgage and in a good position to purchase a second home (out of state for sure!). 

But i guess its 10 round mags (once CC leaves) for me soon and whatever else they impose on us.  For me its a tough one to leave, kids are still young and i dont want to do that to them.  

oh well, more 1911's then!  at least i wont have to get neutered mags!

Already on it- making a trip to NC to finalize where we are going to end up living in 5 weeks - if for some reason we decide against it, then its off to the smokies somewhere between the west NC/TN border, maybe Knoxville.

I might beat you there....the wife is going on a road trip this weekend to check out Apex, Cary, etc.   Step 1 in the get out of NJ process begins!!

update - 

after complaining i have decided to man up and order a Rock Island Ultra FS in 9.

I always wanted a 1911 in 9mm.  Should be fun!

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-9mm/

I just got to finger bang the Springfield EMP 4 in 9mm.  If I do another 1911 in 9mm it'll be that one.  It's REALLY well done.  

The Rock is nice as well.  I'm on a Springfield kick right now so don't mind me.  I'm also on self imposed hiatus given my vacation plans next year so I'm more than a bit jealous of your purchase.

I usually get a 3 pack of permits with only one pistol in mind.... I have a wish list in mind for the others and have no problem finding something to buy....  Last go was Glock 19 MOS, Sig Sauer P320 and a Beretta Nano....... I planned on getting the Glock...... The other 2 purchases kind of fell into place along the way..... 

i did did 3 as well,  with the hopes that some money will appear magically in the next month or 2!

cant wait for the Rock to arrive, i am really excited about this one.  Going to use as my USPSA maybe steel as well. 

but now i am already thinking ahead to the next one!  i knew i would get over the silly stigma i had!