Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Got a trade offer for my M1A, Not sure if its a fair trade/worth trading. Rem 700 XCR

Someone offered this a few weeks ago, and still has it available and is open to trade, but i didn't really want such an expensive bolt rifle.. Im getting impatient waiting to sell my rifle just to turn around and buy something else and am contemplating just trading for it or something similar (Nice tactical Rem 700 on there too.. emailed the guy today). What do you guys think? The rifles themselves retail for somewhat similar prices with the M1a being a bit more expensive, but hes including a fairly high end scope while i am only throwing in the stock and extra mags and such worth 300 +/- a bit. It's probably about an even trade, but if im trading i'd like to at least trade up a bit. Let me know what you guys think. I asked if hed throw in some ammo or something but it doesnt seem like hes going to cave in. Sorry for starting all of these threads, im just an impatient millennial with some fairly serious instant gratification issues  :hunter:

Also, is that a good rifle? And would it hold its value? I know the M1A can be 30 years old and will still hold its value, because its an M1A and the model has some level of significance/coolness factor to it.. But, a Rem 700 is just another Rem 700, so i'd imagine they take a bigger hit once they're off the rack, right?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/5503128/nj-rifles-for-sale-trade--rem-700-xcr-lrt-308-win-

Its a higher end Rem 700. I believe buds had it for 1200$, and the scope retails at like 600$. The M1A, though, at a LGS is like 1600$+OTD, plus over 200$ for that stock new (the one im including has never even been fired with, just fitted), and the extra mags (i believe 4 of the 6 haven't even been used, if you look at the photos only two have scratches from being used.. two are still in stealed bags and two were opened but dont have a scratch on em) and grease and such..
In reality, their values are probably about the same, but i have a feeling that selling a 'high end' rem 700 like that is much harder to do than selling an M1A.

Blah... Bad deal. M1A is worth more. 700s are a dime a dozen and a $600 scope is not a good deal.

My police sniper package Rem 700 .308 was only $800 at the time and the mildot scope on it was $1200 more. That was decades ago.

Keep the M1A and buy a Rem 700 and do it up the way you want.

Or sell the M1A for its worth then by more stuff like you want. But a trade? Et eh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I much rather have a 700 then a M1A, but I really am not a fan of the M1A myth.

Thing is .. what do you want? You clearly don't want your M1A because you are thinking of parting with it, and you are not really sure if you want a 700. Sounds to me like you can't really get excited by either, so instead of trading a gun you don't really want for a gun you probably don't want, I would suggest first deciding what is it that you really want.

"Sounds to me like you can't really get excited by either, so instead of trading a gun you don't really want for a gun you probably don't want, I would suggest first deciding what is it that you really want."

Yup.  I agree with this 100%

Figure out what you want.  If you're just trading to trade, you're gonna get bit.  I've done it and it's not pretty.

To be clear; i want a Rem 700 in 308. What i don't really want is a 1400$+ setup. A cheaper Rem 700 can be had for 600~+a scope, so maybe 900$ or so... brand new from a dealer.
I Don't think i need a 1500$ Setup for shooting at paper on occasion. My point was, if its a GOOD deal (trading up), i'd consider it because i can, down the line, if i decide to, sell it and get a cheaper one without losing money (compared to what id get for my M1A).
The M1A is cool, but i can get some pretty cool stuff for only a few hundred bucks more (like a tavor, etc) that i will get much more use out of. It's pretty cool to have the M1A sitting in the safe, but i dont have the $$ to buy stuff just for the cool factor, haha. I dont really want any safe queens. Looking at selling My savage 111 in 30-06 and the M1A (and, for the right offer, my ACOG) and will instead buy a (cheaper) Rem 700, most likely, and another rifle, but, i hate selling stuff like this. I don't want to have to ship the rifle, and people around here offer 1k for a practically new M1A with 300$ in extra stuff, when a new M1A standard at a LGS is like 1600$+ with taxes and all.. I understand wanting to get a great deal, but im not going bankrupt.. on the other hand, i dont want to have to wait 2 years to get the right offer. Like i said, im impatient.

So, its not that i dont want a Rem 700, im just not sure that that specific model rem 700 is worth what the M1A is. The savage i have is nice, but i want one chambered in 308, and i'll already have plenty of 308 ammo because of the M1A. Plus plenty of aftermarket goodies for the rem700.

Also, that specific model Rem 700 is something like 11-1200$ +/- a bit new. Its one of the higher up models.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41875

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-700-XCR-Tactical-Long-Range-Centerfire-Rifle&i=780499

The M1A is only like 1300 on buds, versus 1100 and change for this rifle, so its not far off and in theory the scope makes up the price difference... but, like i said, i think the M1A for the most part retains its value, while this Rem700 is more of a niche gun as not a lot of people will drop that much on a bolt gun that is so similar to their 600$ rifles.

Personally I would love an M1a. Just looking for a stainless barrel in a wood stock so most likely a loaded or NM. Stainless barrel isn't a must as I'm going for the original look. If you really want a 700 they can be found pretty cheap because they are so common

• Like 1

Ugh! Kids! [emoji17]

I know, right? I think we should just take him out back and beat some sense into him...

Lambo, you got your answer for what someone is willing to pay for your M1A. Time wasted not shooting the gun you want is the one thing you failed to analyze. Sell the M1, buy the 700 for $900, and pocket the residual.

Ugh! Kids! [emoji17]

I iz adult.

I know, right? I think we should just take him out back and beat some sense into him...

Lambo, you got your answer for what someone is willing to pay for your M1A. Time wasted not shooting the gun you want is the one thing you failed to analyze. Sell the M1, buy the 700 for $900, and pocket the residual.

Where? It's been up for sale for a little while but other than a few trade offers for AR's and some fairly low cash offers, i haven't really gotten anything too reasonable as far as a cash offer. Buying a Rem 700 like the one mentioned on here and the scope included would cost me quite a little bit more than i'd like. I've also been in the market for one of the entry level Rem 700's in 308 for 6+ months now, and haven't found anything that was more than 100$ under the price i can buy it brand new, and for that little bit of a difference i'll go to D.S.G. and buy one right off the shelf and throw a scope on it.

That said, i contacted someone with a slightly higher end Rem 700 (THE most expensive one they make) and he may be interested in a trade. If he is in fact interested i would certainly do that, though.. It's a nice rifle with a pelican case and all.

Regarding the beating sense into me, i think my mother tried that once. I think it made me dumber :onthequiet:

The one i am currently going to try and make a deal with, by the way, is a Rem 700 Target Tactical, the one with the bell stock and the Triangle barrel and what not

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57585/Remington+700+Tactical+Target+308+Win

with a Nikon M-308 scope and what not. Thats probably more of a fair trade, seeing as this rifle retailed for about what mine probably did/does. Any reviews i found said it was a nice rifle, but its no longer around, which makes me worry a little bit, seeing as if it was a good design theyd still be around, right?

Any reviews i found said it was a nice rifle, but its no longer around, which makes me worry a little bit, seeing as if it was a good design theyd still be around, right?

The action on a 700 is what really matters.  It hasn't changed.  So, push come to shove, you can have the barrel switched out, if you get serious about shooting it, to something "better".  

The triangular barrel on the other hand was never really well respected by the long range community.  It's expensive to produce with minimal gains.  It's not bad, it's just not up to the hype.  

My offer stands if you want to swap the barrel on your Savage for a 308.  Then you'll have your 308 bolt gun, and can relax and take your time selling your M1.

PM if you have any questions.  

The action on a 700 is what really matters.  It hasn't changed.  So, push come to shove, you can have the barrel switched out, if you get serious about shooting it, to something "better".  

The triangular barrel on the other hand was never really well respected by the long range community.  It's expensive to produce with minimal gains.  It's not bad, it's just not up to the hype.  

My offer stands if you want to swap the barrel on your Savage for a 308.  Then you'll have your 308 bolt gun, and can relax and take your time selling your M1.

PM if you have any questions.  

Not really a fan of somewhat expensive mods like that. At the end of the day, your chrome-covered Honda is still a Honda, LOL.

I'd rather take the money for the cost of converting to a 308 plus what i can get for the rifle and just buy a better factory 308 rifle.

I really like the rifle this other guy has, so i'm going to try and work out a trade with him, first.. It's more of a fair trade, i would say.. Just waiting on more pics, but he seems interested in trading as well. That'll probably be about more of an even trade, i think, as it is a bit more expensive than the rifle initally mentioned in this post, and while the scope is a bit cheaper, it already comes with a pelican hard case which saves me $$ trying to find a decent quality one that is big enough (my typical plano cases i buy for 70$ or so are great, but too small for long rifles)

Just looked and buds was charging 1658 for that bare rifle, versus like 1300 and change for the M1A. If its in decent shape, i think i'll be trading this gentleman.

By the way, someone down in NC wanted to trade rifles; would i have to pay ffl fees twice, once to ship it out to his ffl and once to receive his rifle?
I dont think its a scam, the guy texted me and all. Seems like a cool guy? Not sure i really want to trade if i can get something like the rem target tactical, but this is just a general question for future reference. I'd also of course have to pay the shipping costs. The idea was he'd send his and i'd send mine to the two ffls, and once both are inspected and cleared we'll go get our guns. I'd probably make sure he sent his before i sent mine, just to be safe, as the whole 'stationed in NC' stuff sounds like a scam.. he DID contact me first, as well; i didn't find his ad in NJ only to have him say hes in NC and can ship, which is how the scams tend to go.

Yeah, im not sure, but like i said i wouldn't personally ship my gun out until my local FFL receives his.. The idea being we'd have an agreement on paper stating that the FFL's cant release either firearm until both reach their destination FFL's and are fully inspected to be sure they are in the described condition.
It's a nice AR and id certainly consider the trade if he was local, but im not certain id like to deal with shipping it and with FFL's and what not.
In reality, its not that far fetched for someone from NC to somehow end up looking at my post.. If he searched M1A on armslist or saw it when i bumped it up, he may have emailed me not even realizing we were in different states, so while it is shady due to the common scams on there, im not necessarily sure this one is.

Looks like the guy with the target tactical isnt interested in trading, so i'll just sell the M1A, hopefully, and buy a cheaper Rem 700 model.

Thank goodness. I figured I'd be completely gray by time you finished this deal.

Any more, I would have to find you, sit on you and fart! Phfffttt! ;)

• Like 1