JHZR2

Out of state reference

Hello,

Searched a bit but didn't seem to find a response. Can references be from out of state? If I ask a colleague who lives in PA to provide a reference, does that work?

Also, if I reuse prior references, does it speed up the process, or am I better off always changing references?

Thanks!

I've used a PA reference on every one of my applications without problem. I don't believe re-using references speeds up the process any, except maybe they can fill out the forms faster since they've seen them before.

Also, if I reuse prior references, does it speed up the process, or am I better off always changing references?

My references all keep photocopies of previous reference forms -- usually use the same people 

Reusing references was preferred at my (former) PD. They were only contacted for my initial FID application and not for future P2P apps. But if I had changed a reference, they would have been contacted. Your PD, however, might have a policy of contacting references every time.

I used reference who lived I'm NYC. Officer said they've had references from Alaska. NJ residency is not a requirement.

You can use same references but this is NJ. Won't speed up process. And this is yet one of many things that bothers me about the FID process. If I already own firearms and have gone through vetting process how is going through process all over again going to stop someone from using their their firearms illegally? So stupid.

Good luck with your application!

Personally I think the whole reference thing is unconstitutional although I'm sure it has already be challenged and shot down. Firstly they are asking a lay person for a subjective opinion. Secondly they themselves are doing an investigation into your past (and in NJ even that becomes subjective ie questioned about dismissed and found not guilty arrests). And lastly your having to prove your character is good vs them proving its not to me is blatant guilty until proven innocent. But that's just my opinion

I figured I'd chime in on this since it's contrary to what I've been reading on this thread so far. I was actually told by the clerk in Woodbridge that my references had to be in NJ. Wasn't a problem as I had my local references lined up for the process already (matter of fact one of them pointed out his town wanted in state references too). Now I'm curious how it would have gone if I had been someone who just moved there from out of state. Personally though I don't get the whole thing. No one with half a brain is going to list someone that hates/fears them, but then again I've heard the stories about people with less than half :banghead:

• Like 1

I figured I'd chime in on this since it's contrary to what I've been reading on this thread so far. I was actually told by the clerk in Woodbridge that my references had to be in NJ. Wasn't a problem as I had my local references lined up for the process already (matter of fact one of them pointed out his town wanted in state references too). Now I'm curious how it would have gone if I had been someone who just moved there from out of state. Personally though I don't get the whole thing. No one with half a brain is going to list someone that hates/fears them, but then again I've heard the stories about people with less than half :banghead:

I should ask Connie @ WBPD about that; i only used Inside-NJ references so it was never an issue for me. That's quite odd, because otherwise woodbridge is fairly good when it comes to the permit process.

I know Jersey City requires that you use Jersey City residents for references.

I'm surprised Connie told you they had to be in-state. I'm guessing she thinks it's a state rule. Woodbridge in general is pretty good with issuing permits. (And Connie is awesome.)

I'm surprised Connie told you they had to be in-state. I'm guessing she thinks it's a state rule. Woodbridge in general is pretty good with issuing permits. (And Connie is awesome.)

The application (STS-033) says "Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives." It says nothing about references being from the same town or in-state. :rtfm:  That's select sheriffs' offices creating undue burden if you ask me, but I'm no lawyer…

The application (STS-033) says "Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives." It says nothing about references being from the same town or in-state. :rtfm: That's select sheriffs' offices creating undue burden if you ask me, but I'm no lawyer…

Yes, Jersey City for sure.

As I said though, it's not like Woodbridge to throw in anything that's unnecessary.

Oh she did excellent work and I have no complaints. I just thought I'd chime in about my experiences, that's all. I already had my references ready before I even showed up there for the application. I do have some friends on Staten Island who belong to the shooting clubs out there that I was considering using as backups. Since we're on the reference subject I was also told none of the references could be law enforcement (I can't remember if it was no municipal or no "anyone") is that in the statute at all?

Oh she did excellent work and I have no complaints. I just thought I'd chime in about my experiences, that's all. I already had my references ready before I even showed up there for the application. I do have some friends on Staten Island who belong to the shooting clubs out there that I was considering using as backups. Since we're on the reference subject I was also told none of the references could be law enforcement (I can't remember if it was no municipal or no "anyone") is that in the statute at all?

:dafuk:

They don't want LEO vouching for someone? You'd think that would be the best type of reference in their eyes. Please tell me what town this is because I will NEVER move there willingly.

Below is a link to the online form. References are #29. Show me where it says "subject to local sheriff's restrictions" on there.  :rtfm:

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf