Sign in to follow this  
flank

ar15 hexmags

I've only used 10rnd pmags and 10rnd metal mags. I am looking to purchase ar15 mag pouches and that pretty much forces me to the reduced capacity 30rnd mags. There's a few dollar difference between standard 30rnd hexmag and pmag but the state compliant 15/30 pmags are nearly double the 15/30 hexmags.

What are your thoughts/experiences with 15/30 hexmags?

I've only used 10rnd pmags and 10rnd metal mags. I am looking to purchase ar15 mag pouches and that pretty much forces me to the reduced capacity 30rnd mags. There's a few dollar difference between standard 30rnd hexmag and pmag but the state compliant 15/30 pmags are nearly double the 15/30 hexmags.

What are your thoughts/experiences with 15/30 hexmags?

Work fine, taste like chicken, Wise Tactical has them on sale.

That is all.... Carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plenty of people here use Hexmags - I have several.  They work well, but previous iterations had issues.  They've fixed the majority of them, and Hexmag will replace failed mags from user experience here.

Honestly - they're not that expensive, especially if you look at the prices of Blocked Magpul PMags.

cool thanks for the info

Main things that are drawing me to hexmag:

price 15/30 hexmag ~$9 (wisetactical) vs 15/30 pmag (midwestpx) ~$20+

hexmags can be disassembled for cleaning (might never need to but I like knowing that I can)

not super important but 15/30 hexmags are available in multiple colors, I can only find 15/30 pmags in black

At their current price I think i'll pickup a few for testing

Do it. If you dont like em, someone local will buy them for a buck or two less a piece, haha.
I have them. Not my favorite, but as stated, for range use they are fine. As far as reliability and general feel/toughness, i'd take the PMAG over it. Too much $$ though.

I have a bunch of them.  I have not had one NOT work for me yet (not have I had any crack on me).  That said, I used them for the range, so there isn't a lot of heavy duty use happening.  Given that they're $10/mag cheaper than the Pmags, they are great to stock up on, but I would always have a few pmags hanging around. 

FYI Next Gens are now available

"The next gen Hexmag Series 2 has finally arrived! Available in black, flat dark earth (FDE), olive drab green (ODG) and dark gray in 10/30, 15/30, and 30-round configurations.

Here is a list of the major modifications to Series 2 Hexmag magazines:
1. Updated feed lip provides greater reliability with a larger variety of rifles.
2. Easier seating on a closed bolt made possible by an improved catch-pocket and lead in ramp.
3.Compatible with stripper clips making loading your Hexmags faster than ever before."

indiana, those will be the gen1's, i believe.. i ordered a bunch of them and they are fine.

That said, they really should make 15/15's or 15/20's, not sure why they STILL are only making the 30rd size shells.

Standardization - easier and cheaper to make a single shell.  Most people prefer 30 round size mags as well because they fit better in pouches, etc.

Good mag, even better customer service. I bought 2 series 1 mags but they didn't feed on my build. Emailed customer service and they had me send pictures of the feed lips. From the picture, they said that the feed lips may be too thick so they sent a new set of mags with a mod tip of sanding the lips down a bit.

The mod worked for me, plus once the series 2 came out, they sent me 2 of those for free and they work great. Can't beat service like that. Will definitely buy more.

On 8/26/2016 at 10:18 PM, Lambo2936 said:

indiana, those will be the gen1's, i believe.. i ordered a bunch of them and they are fine.

That said, they really should make 15/15's or 15/20's, not sure why they STILL are only making the 30rd size shells.

nm

I have noticed that the older HexMags I own, have a hard time seating on a closed bolt when fully loaded.  If I slam them in, they don't lock in, if I press them in slowly, the lock easily.  Odd, but it is what it is.  The Rev2 ones were supposed to have solved that but I have not tried one yet.

I view them as ok for range use, wouldn't rely on them in a HD gun or bug-out bag though.

I think in a SHTF situation the only think I would trust would be an unmodified standard mag.  Once you put a plastic block in there, alter the base plate or fix it in place, there is no way it will be as reliable (long term) as a mag which remains as designed.

FYI Next Gens are now available

3.Compatible with stripper clips making loading your Hexmags faster than ever before."

FWIW, the Gen 1 will work with stripper clips, you can slide the spoon right onto the mag even though it doesn't have the slot like the Gen 2.

On 9/7/2016 at 8:40 AM, Alex V said:

I have noticed that the older HexMags I own, have a hard time seating on a closed bolt when fully loaded.  If I slam them in, they don't lock in, if I press them in slowly, the lock easily.  Odd, but it is what it is.  The Rev2 ones were supposed to have solved that but I have not tried one yet.

I think in a SHTF situation the only think I would trust would be an unmodified standard mag.  Once you put a plastic block in there, alter the base plate or fix it in place, there is no way it will be as reliable (long term) as a mag which remains as designed.

nm