TheEqualizer686P

New owner of a S+W 686P - used it for the first time tonight

Well, I finally made it to the range this evening for the first time to try my new 686p and it went really well.  Now, I should preface this by saying that prior to the purchase of this firearm (my first) I had only shot a friend's .22 and .45 a couple of times a few years ago, never shot a .357 magnum and hadn't shot anything for the last few years.

So, I went to the range this evening knowing I want to slowly and gradually work into using and becoming comfortable with my firearm so I wasn't planning on going through more than the 70 rounds of ammo I had brought with me.   I started with 50 rounds of 38 sp to warm up which was no problem and then with some healthy apprehension tried 14 130g .357 JHP rounds through it and ...WOW! 

The difference in power was shocking, startling and scary....I was actually scared of the .357 round but I know I will get use to it the more I practice with those rounds.  Is a little fear normal and healthy in this situation?  I was able to control it, hit the target and did ok (although obviously I'll need more practice to get better) but the flash/bang/recoil demands serious attention/respect and now I REALLY understand why everybody recommends a .357 for home defense.  This gun is AWESOME!!

The funny thing was, following the first .357 round the RSO behind me (surely a seasoned gun vet in his mid 60's) stood up and stood partially behind me.  When I acknowledged his presence by glancing back in his direction he said, "wow, that was loud" and continued to watch me fire my weapon.  Even though he was very helpful and didn't say anything else, from that point on I felt as though I had done something wrong (like my gun was too loud for the range) and didn't really feel comfortable staying much longer.  Perhaps he was paying closer attention to make sure I could handle my firearm and/or admiring the weapon but I didn't feel comfortable shooting any more .357 rounds after that so I shot a few more then packed up and left.  What do you guys make of it?  

My first handgun also was a SW686. Yes, huge difference between the 38sp and a full 357 magnum round! Mine came with wood grips which I switched out for a set of rubber pachmyers. It made the control much easier. It's also very easy to reload for revolver. I bought a lee single stage press and measure cups. I made a nice 357 target load with lead semi-wad cutters. Very accurate, fun to shoot. I would go through about 150 in an hour, and another hour to reload them. A great revolver.

For home protection you should go with "38SP +P+" Much more easier to control for a second shot. Remember the scene from pulp fiction :)

Also was my first handgun. I absolutely love it. What grips are on yours? The factory rubber grips are great at taming the recoil. I swapped to Wood grips and full power loads beat the crap out of your hand in comparison

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I can't wait to add a revolver to my toolbox! I am torn on which one to get. I am leaning heavily on a 686 .357 model somewhere around a 6" model but I think if I want to take it to any IDPA shoot I will have to keep it at 4" six shot. Probably look to get some dies and material together to load for that too.

I can't wait to add a revolver to my toolbox! I am torn on which one to get. I am leaning heavily on a 686 .357 model somewhere around a 6" model but I think if I want to take it to any IDPA shoot I will have to keep it at 4" six shot. Probably look to get some dies and material together to load for that too.

Mine is GP-100.

I think that for the HD purpose, 4" is fine.  The 6" is for better accuracy, that is more fun for target shooting.  But they are not as well balanced for me.

May I suggest the 686 SSR?

I would bet that after your first couple shots of .357 everybody on the line noticed you. They are really loud and awesome. My first handgun is a 686 with a 6" barrel. I bought it the night Obama got elected the first time, picked it up a few days later. I wouldn't worry about the range officer, he likes guns too and is always interested in what everybody is shooting.

What I did with my GP-100 is mix up the .38 and .357 and load the chambers randomly. Not knowing which bullet was in the chamber helped with the "anticipated" recoil jerk.  I always got looks when shooting it indoors it is a loud gun. If you are going to use it for HD load it with .38, unless they are hiding behind the fridge, in your neighbor's house. it will be plenty. 

What I did with my GP-100 is mix up the .38 and .357 and load the chambers randomly. Not knowing which bullet was in the chamber helped with the "anticipated" recoil jerk.  I always got looks when shooting it indoors it is a loud gun. If you are going to use it for HD load it with .38, unless they are hiding behind the fridge, in your neighbor's house. it will be plenty. 

Hehehehe that's fun.

The 686 is my next gun, love the caliber. Why would you mod it though when there are lots of longer-barrel choices in .357 mag/.38? Ruger GP100 is cheaper and shoots like butter.

Someone recently posted that even though the 686 is 7-shot you can still compete with it as long as you load only 6. I am not an authority by any stretch, however. The last time my groups mattered was in 1970. 

Shoot a Ruger LCR in .357. Then when you go back to your 686 it will be just perfect.

The .357 is a high-powered handgun round with a large amount of recoil. Not a hydrogen bomb. :maninlove:

I have the performance center 686. Bought after years of loving my dad'said 586. I wanted to get something similar but a little different for when we both shoot. Fun gun and crazy accurate.

My only complaint is the sights are a bit hard you find when shooting at the typical black silhouette. Anyone have suggestions on this outside nail polish?

I have the performance center 686. Bought after years of loving my dad's 586. I wanted to get something similar but a little different for when we both shoot. Fun gun and crazy accurate.

My only complaint is the sights are a bit hard you find when shooting at the typical black silhouette. Anyone have suggestions on this outside nail polish?

If your front sight is pinned to the base, change it to fiber optic. Even if it is integral to the sight base, you can still change it out, it just takes more work ($$$$) in that the old blade will need to be milled off and a slot cut into the base. Use a .125" blade for precision or .100" blade for speed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have the performance center 686. Bought after years of loving my dad'said 586. I wanted to get something similar but a little different for when we both shoot. Fun gun and crazy accurate.

my son just replaced the pinned front sight on his 686 with a fo, $65 labor at Ottominelies (sp?) which I thought was a rip but he's very happy with it. I did mine on my gp100 and too am very happy I did it.

Dont bother with the nail polish, Look into aftermarket front sight for revolvers  - such as - SDM Fabrication , Dawson , etc. 

I have a 686 with 6" barrel that i bought used from Rob0115 (great guy) on this forum....unbelievable gun, I love everything about it, especially when shooting .357 rounds out of it and everyone else at the range stops shooting to come down and see what the hell I'm shooting. My brother took burst pics of me firing and i have an awesome pic of the fire shooting out the sides of the cylinder....if i can figure out how to upload it here thrn i will.

Hell of a flash there! Watch your fingers never  go near or forward of the front of the cylinder.

It's not a pistol and it would most likely cut your finger off at that point of flash! I am sure you knew that

but I would be remiss not to mention that fact!  Enjoy the revolver! :D