TheEqualizer686P

New owner of a S+W 686P - used it for the first time tonight

Went to pick mine up on Friday...NICS was experiencing an Obama Christmas rush. After 90 minutes I finished the paperwork and left. Was surprised that the trigger did not seem as smooth as on my GP100 or SP101. Or maybe my arthritis just got worse.

I've read about fixing the sights in this thread. Does anyone have any suggestions for trigger work that would NOT reduce the pull? Does such a thing exist? Is it do-able by someone with very little experience? 

Went to pick mine up on Friday...NICS was experiencing an Obama Christmas rush. After 90 minutes I finished the paperwork and left. Was surprised that the trigger did not seem as smooth as on my GP100 or SP101. Or maybe my arthritis just got worse.

I've read about fixing the sights in this thread. Does anyone have any suggestions for trigger work that would NOT reduce the pull? Does such a thing exist? Is it do-able by someone with very little experience?

I have had mine for a few weeks and after a lot of dry firing and a few trips to the range the trigger pull does smooth out a bit. I remember it being not as smooth before wanting to get a trigger job on it but not wanting to put more money into the piece.

Was told that I could make the trigger pull smoother by doing it myself but I am not brave enough to attempt on my own, yet.

Follow up: Haven't shot the gun yet but this piece is not up to S&W quality. Everything is rough: trigger set, SA pull, cylinder release, even the ejector. When dry fired sounds like someone banging on a tin can.

Question: should every chamber in a new revolver have an obvious black powder mark going around the circumference? Almost looks like someone shot a bunch of .38s through this. I don't remember seeing these when my other revolvers were new.

Now I wish I'd bought another GP100, in snub. 

Test firing is usually every other cylinder in a six shot gun. I don't know what the procedure is for the 7 and 8 shot models.

You need to remove the sideplate - do NOT pry it off, if you don't know how to do it, check out You Tube, I'm sure there will be many videos showing the correct procedure. Use Gun Scrubber or similar and blast the innards to remove any machining particles. Lubricate pivot points sparingly. Do not pull the trigger with the side plate off. That should help get rid of the grittiness. Now get some snap caps and dry fire the snot out of it. Should be GTG.

Adios,

Pizza Bob