Crew4s

Trasnporation of a Handgun via Motorcycle?

So, if you are not fortunate enough to own a car or a motorcycle can you just walk from your home to a range with your gun in a locked case as well - or does the state make it impossible for a poor person or city dweller to transport their firearm???

I purchased a Mosin at a store in Paterson and while walking back to the car with nothing but a plastic bag covering 3/4's of the rifle crossed the street in front of a patrol car. The officer didn't bat an eye.

I purchased a Mosin at a store in Paterson and while walking back to the car with nothing but a plastic bag covering 3/4's of the rifle crossed the street in front of a patrol car. The officer didn't bat an eye.

That's more a function of being in Paterson...

• Like 2

So, if you are not fortunate enough to own a car or a motorcycle can you just walk from your home to a range with your gun in a locked case as well - or does the state make it impossible for a poor person or city dweller to transport their firearm???

I have taken a bicycle to the range many times.  No need to have it in a locked case it, it just needs to be "unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported."  NJ 2C:39-6 g

IANAL, but in my opinion a clear ziploc bag would suffice as a securely tied package.  However, I would recommend something opaque--no one needs to know.

My reading of our convoluted code says it is fine.  Guns unloaded (magazines full but not in the guns), NO LOCKS REQUIRED.

2C:39-6 g.

All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The only mention of locking is within the trunk of an automobile, and in that case the language uses an OR which means on or the other (or all) of the four options presented.

Read the law and make your own choices, consult an attorney if you do not feel comfortable.

I have done it on a bicycle many times.

Is it alright to carry your hand gun(s) locked in a case and placed in a motorcycle top box along with your ammo? I'm assuming that that's OK?

"..... gunbox......".     I put mine in its original "gunbox", put it the backpack. Ammo in their own box, in the backpack and off I go on motorcycle to range. 

And I go directly to / from the range. No shopping trips around the town. 

Drive safe and enjoy. 

I would say that a backpack would qualify as a "closed and fastened case" or a "securely tied package." And nothing about separating the ammunition (I believe that may be part of FOPA though, for interstate travel).That being said, it is not a bad idea to err on the side of caution.  In case you encounter an LEO that does not know the law (read Blue Tent Sky).  While you may be in the right, it may cost you $10K-$20K to prove your innocence.

Best strategy is to drive safe and not get pulled over.

• Like 1