SmittyMHS

SKS...any real difference?

Sino-Soviet?

Chinese?

Norinco?

Yogo?

Russian?

I'm not a collector, not going to war with it (I hope) never leave anything stock, and just got interested in the SKS platform. 

So School me. What should I need to know, stay away from?

Lol Sorry - I'm not an expert with SKS at all - I just saw that from previous research and figured I'd link it... 

The whole site has a ton of info on the different types of SKS

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm

Mostly I just know the different types of Bayonets (Spike vs Blade, etc)....  Different types of wood depending on where it's from...

Most people thumb up their noses to Yugos, but I personally feel they are a good buy.

Barrels aren't chromed lined, which isn't a big deal to me (I don't shoot corrosive 7.62x39mm). But the Yugoslavians took most Soviet designs (and others), and tried to improve on them. Their Tokarev made the grip longer to squeeze in an extra round. The M48s kept the Mauser design going after World War II. The M59 is pretty much a standard SKS, but the M59/66 variations were built to fire rifle grenades. Get some blanks and a practice grenade, and you can have some fun. [emoji41]

Most Yugo weapons were kept in storage, and checked somewhat regularly... which is why most are in very good condition. Yugoslavia also tried to be self sufficient from the Soviets, so they took pride in their weapons. They also wanted them to last as long as possible, so you don't normally see shortcuts taken with them.

If you want an SKS, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them... if you take a look prior to buying. I did see a couple of Yugo SKSs at the past Oaks gun show at great pricing.

Yugos are the only ones imported these days with a rare shipment of beat up Chinese. Your second hand choices are basically Russian, Chinese, and Yugo.

Russian and Chinese tend to be of the same quality but Chinese often have later cheaper features. Yugos may have sewer pipe barrels. If you find anything else from the eastern bloc consider it slightly rare.

Please don't Bubba SKSs.

"Bubba"...I don't think I've ever heard that term used with any platform but the SKS.

I would only add optics. And maybe the Timbersmith stock. I was looking at one that didn't have the original stock and started looking at options. If it didn't have a numbers matching stock what would it harm. I'm not interested in trying to make it a AR wanna be. I have enough ARs. (is that even possible?) lol  

"Bubba"...I don't think I've ever heard that term used with any platform but the SKS.

I would only add optics. And maybe the Timbersmith stock. I was looking at one that didn't have the original stock and started looking at options. If it didn't have a numbers matching stock what would it harm. I'm not interested in trying to make it a AR wanna be. I have enough ARs. (is that even possible?) lol

It can be way more tacticool then an ar. It can have any evil feature you want. I want a 16in with threaded barrel with removable flash hider/bayonet/pistol grip and side folder.

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

It can be way more tacticool then an ar. It can have any evil feature you want. I want a 16in with threaded barrel with removable flash hider/bayonet/pistol grip and side folder.

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I didn't think a threaded barrel is legal on anything is it? 

The Bubba term is very popular in the G/K43 and K98 community. As for the SKS rifles they are all pretty much the same except that certain version will command a much higher price. Those would be the undocumented non imported marked Chinese rifles, papered Vietnam War bring backs, and North Vietnam produced rifles.

The Bubba term is very popular in the G/K43 and K98 community. As for the SKS rifles they are all pretty much the same except that certain version will command a much higher price. Those would be the undocumented non imported marked Chinese rifles, papered Vietnam War bring backs, and North Vietnam produced rifles.

So it pretty much wont matter if I get an early Sino-Soviet Chinese model or a newer Norinco? Price wise there isn't too much difference.

So it pretty much wont matter if I get an early Sino-Soviet Chinese model or a newer Norinco? Price wise there isn't too much difference.

I am not an expert on Sino-Soviets, but I believe early Chinese had blade bayonets and later had spikes.

By and large there are no differences. The commercial SKSs are a little different but most were military.

Russian and Romanian are the best. Albanian too but more rare. Chinese not far behind. Yugo are least respected but also least expensive. Expect to pay $750+ for Albanian. $500-$650 for Russian. $450-500 for Romanian and Chinese. Yugo $350-450 depending on condition. Matching numbers adds value. Personally I like the Romanian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few years ago matt6669 and I put one together in my shop. There was a thread somewhere on here, but anyways it was a Yugo receiver, a Chinese barrel, Albanian bolt, Russian bolt carrier and other assorted parts. The rifle shoots like a dream and it shows there really isn't much of a difference between parts other than barrels. If looking for a shooter it comes down to non chrome lined(Yugo) and chrome lined(the rest) barrels. Parts are interchangeable and work together.

I've since purchased a Yugo-non # matching with all intents of "bubbaing" it out. Ya know, cut it down to 16" and change the stock to maybe a Timbersmith. It had some reliability issues and after sorting through it and replacing a pretty hard to find OEM gas tube, I decided to keep it totally stock even if it wasn't a all matching # gun. Then I found a paratrooper SKS and took my frustrations out on it. I have removed the pinned. modified non-removable 15 rnd. Tapco mag and put back on the stock 10 rnd.  It was a real PIA to load. The stripper clips didn't want to work very well and would jam. The stock mag loads much faster and never jams on me. Not the look I was looking for but much more reliable and safer IMO. If we were able to use the Tapco as a removable mag it would be the way to go.

I like "different" and the SKS in its original form is just that. Making it a bit more my own was fun, and I learned a lot working on both these rifles. 

post-8373-0-28102100-1481160150_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've since purchased a Yugo-non # matching with all intents of "bubbaing" it out. Ya know, cut it down to 16" and change the stock to maybe a Timbersmith. It had some reliability issues and after sorting through it and replacing a pretty hard to find OEM gas tube, I decided to keep it totally stock even if it wasn't a all matching # gun. Then I found a paratrooper SKS and took my frustrations out on it. I have removed the pinned. modified non-removable 15 rnd. Tapco mag and put back on the stock 10 rnd. It was a real PIA to load. The stripper clips didn't want to work very well and would jam. The stock mag loads much faster and never jams on me. Not the look I was looking for but much more reliable and safer IMO. If we were able to use the Tapco as a removable mag it would be the way to go.

I like "different" and the SKS in its original form is just that. Making it a bit more my own was fun, and I learned a lot working on both these rifles.

Pretty cool looking SKS, but please for the Love of God & All That is Holy don't buy a Mosin and give it the same Bubba Treatment [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Yugo is heavier than all the others. They are well built but the weight kills it for me.

Russians are the best, but you will pay more.

Chinese are very solid rifles. Similar quality to the Russian but cheaper.

Other variants are out there but these are the main 3 you will see. My advice would be start with a nice Chinese model and see how you like it. Don't bubba up a Russian please.