brucin

Would this make anyone a little uneasy?

<!-- Place this tag where you want the widget to render. -->

I was being muzzle swept today waiting for a port. Would you have said something or just let it go? I did send this photo to management to advise them of the situation.

Everyone is empowered to when it happens.  As an RSO, I will call a ceasefire on the whole line to stop the stupidity before a possible tragedy strikes. Also, makes the offender realize they just screwed up.  Sort of a positive reinforcement not to do it again.  Just like in electronics, you cannot put the blue smoke back once it's out.

Oh, I see. The holster gun is slung over the shoulder and it is pointing at you. Apparently, not enough of a scare as you took the time to shoot the picture.

Or did you mean the guns in the case pointing in your direction?

Like somehow, the gun will go off without pulling the trigger.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Okay I'm not too complacent then. I see no muzzle sweeping with a holstered unloaded gun pointing at some dudes ass. I didn't know if it was a different picture that was supposed to be presented that I was missing? Obviously, loaded gun on the firing line is a completely different story as what was suggested in the OP's post but the picture doesn't match that.

I think that's a stupid way to carry a gun as the guy has zero retention and unless that's a security type holster it might fall out. No more dangerous than standing behind someone who's wearing a horizontal shoulder holster or behind someone carrying on a belt holster going up the stairs.

If you carry a handgun in a holster you will "muzzle sweep" people all day long. Nothing is going to happen as long as the gun is in the holster.

• Like 1

Meh. It's in what looks like a Safariland SLS security holster. A little careless but not unsafe.

I wouldn't do it, and I would say something to my guys or someone I knew if they are doing it.

It isn't so much a safety issue as a mindset issue - I'm not worried about the gun going off, I am concerned that he doesn't know who is behind him and he has no positive control over the gun.

He could just as easily carry his belt that way with the gun in front so he can be aware of it.

In the end though, it's not going to hurt you. Every time I squat down to tie my little guys shoes my OWB points at whomever is behind me. Anyone carrying AIWB points their gun at their crotch/femoral every time they sit. Like Griz said, you wear a horizontal shoulder holster it points at people all day long, going upstairs in a duty holster and you are sweeping those coming up behind you. This is no different from that point of view.

• Like 2

My wife brought up the possible retention issue. I know it's not going to go off but in the classes I've taken we were always taught to never casually muzzle sweep anyone. To me it's a bit inconsiderate.

I carry often probably more than most on these boards except for LE. IWB 4 o'clock most of the time and occasionally in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. When in a pocket holster I try to be aware of where the muzzle is pointed.

I can't even make out the gun in that photo. How could you tell it was unloaded? 

You should go bird hunting at Wittingham some cold November morning in the presence of several parties of diner owners from Parsippany, their relatives, and their dogs with names like "Sporty" and "Varmint." You'll be "swept" off your feet.

• Like 1

I can't even make out the gun in that photo. How could you tell it was unloaded? 

You should go bird hunting at Wittingham some cold November morning in the presence of several parties of diner owners from Parsippany, their relatives, and their dogs with names like "Sporty" and "Varmint." You'll be "swept" off your feet.

How can't you make out a gun in that photo? Either you have a really shitty internet or an even worse computer.

I'm sorry but that is not being muzzle swept. I guess you never went to the old Brick Armory?

When some moron on the line turns around to talk to his friend, swinging around his loaded pistol, that qualifies as muzzle swept.

Went a few times after that, but always mid morning during the week when no one was there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How can't you make out a gun in that photo? Either you have a really shitty internet or an even worse computer.

Or he's a really shitty photographer. Something is shitty in ShitLand. 

I believe you if you say it was a gun. I just don't see it, or how anyone could know it was unloaded or a Glock. If the part facing you, with the two holes, is the barrel then it's an "over-under" double-barreled whizmading. In that case the mag is pointing downward. How can you tell if there are rounds in the gun or in the chamber? Is there an x-ray vision shot in addition to the "find the gun in the picture"?

I generally think of sweeping as when someone has the gun in their hand. Still there's a reason during cease-fires why we keep the gun pointed downrange. As someone pointed out if you want to get picky you're swept every time you walk by a handgun display case. 

Regardless I don't see why anyone would carry something as valuable as a handgun slung over their shoulder like that. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there is a mag in what looks like a Glock in that holster. The part pointing at you in the photo is the muzzle, not the mag well. The old school Safariland duty holsters were open like that on the bottom.

9BBEB0CC-ABBF-421D-837E-923D05D72741_zps

I think I can see the sharp corners of a mag in the grip.

It was very easy to see the mag in the grip from 3 feet away . Sorry for the poor photo I was trying to be discrete.

Brucin, completely understandable. Thanks for confirming it for me.

As for why, if you aren't going to wear a duty belt, buckling it and throwing it over your shoulder is the easiest way to carry it without dragging it on the ground, or risking it spontaneously disassembling and dumping all your pouches all over in a yard sale as they slide off the end. It also enables you to use your hands without putting everything down.

That said, I usually orient the belt so the gun is in front of me and flat against my chest when I do that.

• Like 1

First off, I would be will to give some photograph lessons :)  This would be a very low concern level for me, especially compared to many other things I have seen at ranges.  Why do you assume the gun was loaded?  Even if there was a mag in it, it might have been empty.  Further, the gun was holstered.  I don't see this as much different than a gun in a case.  These things almost always require a finger to make them go boom.

I was taught to always assume every gun is loaded untill I verify it is not. So if I were in the OP's situation I would assume that the gun is loaded. With that being said guns don't just go off spontaneously, the gun was in a secure holster so nothing could pull the trigger accidentally. I would not be uncomfortable in that perticular situation.

I'm pretty sure there is a mag in what looks like a Glock in that holster. The part pointing at you in the photo is the muzzle, not the mag well. The old school Safariland duty holsters were open like that on the bottom.

Thank you HE, I can see it more clear now. Even with that said I still wouldn't feel uneasy. As brucin pointed out though, I would see the issue with retention if someone wanted to grab it. 

I think I can see Jesus and the Madonna wearing a red cape.