lhrocker

Shooting your first reloaded round

So I bought a reloading press a couple of months ago. Did tons of research and got all of the necessary, and some unnecessary supplies to go with it. I've been going to the range, shooting factory ammo and gathering up the brass, as well as range brass.

Last week I finally reloaded some 223/556, 9mm and 40 s&w using starting loads for their respective powders. I will be hitting the range this weekend to see how they fire, but being this is my first reload, I have butterflies when thinking about pulling the trigger.

I checked, double checked and triple checked all my loads so I know they are good and not over or under charged. I just have this feeling that I wish I could hide and safely fire the first round with no one around to be sure.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Any other reloaders want to reminisce about the first reloaded round they ever fitted¿

My 1st reloaded round was back in the early 90's -- I don't recall being worried about it at all -- didn't have the internet back then to see all the scary pictures of guns blowing up

Just think -- your reloaded rounds, being checked, and rechecked again have way more care into them than a factory round -- You'll be fine

Have fun,  welcome to the obsession

Wear shooting glasses, fire one round, check fired case for signs of over-pressure, check barrel for possible squib load and say to yourself: "Oh wow! It worked!"

Then spend the rest of your life looking for components.

It sounds like you did your homework, so you should be fine.

Good luck and thanks for sharing the excitement.

I don't get many "first time jitters" anymore.

• Like 1

I'm in the same position. I just got into reloading as well, loaded some 45-70 rounds last weekend as my first attempt, and now I'm trying to build up the "courage" to actually go and try them out.

I'm sure everything will work out fine but there's always that little bit of nagging doubt in the back of my head that I may have missed something. 

Now 45-70 rounds are easy to reload. Straight walled case that is rimmed.  Biggest worry for that round is making sure your data matches the type of gun you are using.  There are no less than three different "levels" of loading. Most important thing to remember.  Older rifles cannot take the pressure achieved with modern smokeless powders.  That's why it's called 45-70, 45 caliber bullet over 70 grains of "black" powder.

Wear shooting glasses, fire one round, check fired case for signs of over-pressure, check barrel for possible squib load and say to yourself: "Oh wow! It worked!"

Then spend the rest of your life looking for components.

It sounds like you did your homework, so you should be fine.

Good luck and thanks for sharing the excitement.

I don't get many "first time jitters" anymore.

This.

One thing to add. After chambering a round. Eject it and check for setback. The chambering action can set the bullet back into the case if too little crimp is applied.

• Like 1

I was shooting an old rifle for the first time in probably 70 years. I clamped a shooting vise to a table and then clamped the rifle into the vise. I hunched up below the table and used my left hand (wearing a heavy glove) to reach up and pull the trigger. After two rounds I just shouldered the rifle and it shot great.

Push test= Push the bullet against the bench to test for proper crimp.

And yeah also "plunk" to test the round goes into the barrel properly. I use a case gage because I shoot multiple guns.

Heh, been reloading for many years and never did a push test, guess I'll look into it. I only load pistols and primarily lead, crimp only enough to remove the bell.  Couldn't imagine any of the loads being loose enough to push in further by hand.  Always thought about getting a gauge, but never ran into any feeding issues.  Pass the plunk test, rotate to make sure not gripping any rifling, good to go.

Shot my first hand loads today.  9mm and 223/556 in regular and light (trail boss) loads.  Everything went bang with no kabooms.  I started all the loads at the starting grains and they all shot pretty good.  The .223/5.56 were more accurate than the stuff I've been buying.  The trail boss loads were about 3 inches low and to the right, but they were so quiet.  For 9mm, the unique was great but the power pistol was a bit dirty and off.  I'll have to work it up some more.  And now it's time to play!!!  Now to keep this from becoming an obsession...