Newtonian

who owns NJ CC permit info?

Which agency owns information on NJ concealed carry permits, as in who holds them? Is this FOIA-able? If not, why? Has anyone tried to obtain this information? Has this topic been discussed like 17 years ago already?

I believe the NJCFO did a foil or NJ FOIA request and found that roughly 400-500 CCW permits were issued in 2014 or 2015. I believe I've seen a number near 900 floating around for total CCW holders.

To me, the names are not important, what I would like to know is:

What is the total number of CCW permits issued by the state.

How many of them were issued to citizens that are not ex LEO, ex judges, or never held political office.

I don't see why that information could not be made public.

• Like 2

No I mean actual names, like the newspaper in Westchester got a few years back. Anyone tried this? Not advocating anything illegal but all sorts of computers are hacked these days.

Hacking is illegal.  

Which agency owns information on NJ concealed carry permits, as in who holds them? Is this FOIA-able? If not, why? Has anyone tried to obtain this information? Has this topic been discussed like 17 years ago already?

Chief Of Police / Superintendents has the information (applications, contact info, approval status etc) and also County Clerk and Superior Court. It is not FIOA-able, because disclosure is prohibited.

13:54-1.15 Confidentiality of background investigations, permits, firearms identification cards, licenses, certifications, certificates, forms of register, registration statements and applications

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

• Like 1

How many of them were issued to citizens that are not ex LEO, ex judges, or never held political office.

this was attempted last year and they said they do not have that information , just total numbers

I believe the NJCFO did a foil or NJ FOIA request and found that roughly 400-500 CCW permits were issued in 2014 or 2015. I believe I've seen a number near 900 floating around for total CCW holders.

^This is accurate - my buddy from NJSP I think told me 463 permits total issued last year (2015) - I do NOT believe that includes retired LEO - they get their own permit which is valid in 50 states on a federal level (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - it does include our politically connected friends - in a state of almost 9 million and if there are no LEO on that list, WOW, peanuts.

900 active is probably right. 450 per year. No RLEOs are included in that number.

Exactly as I thought - so maybe a few security guards "during business hours only" or a few PI's - but they are probably retired LEO anyway - I would imagine mostly "connected people" and with the amount of major city councils, legislature, etc, thats the majority of it -

To put it in perspective, 500 out of 9M people is 0.00555555555556 or 1 in 18,000 people

How many of them were issued to citizens that are not ex LEO, ex judges, or never held political office.

File a FOIA request. It shouldn't be that hard to do

File a FOIA request. It shouldn't be that hard to do

I googled "how to file a FOIA request" and it looks like it could get very expensive for an individual to do. I also looked up the form for applying for a CCW and lines through 9-11 ask name and address of employer. Somehow I don't believe that the state does not keep these forms so I think they do have a way to look up  the number of private, everyday citizens that have CCW's. I'm sure the file those records are kept in isn't that thick.

Aside from "not us" let's not jump to conclusions about who those 500 are. There aren't many people entering the armed guard occupation.

Is this information available in other states? How did that newspaper in NY get those names or addresses (same thing) a few years back?

Aside from "not us" let's not jump to conclusions about who those 500 are. There aren't many people entering the armed guard occupation.

Is this information available in other states? How did that newspaper in NY get those names or addresses (same thing) a few years back?

the information at that time was not protected  and now is.

most states protect the name of holders etc so they are not targeted.

How did that newspaper in NY get those names or addresses (same thing) a few years back?

According to Clinton News Network "The names and addresses of the two counties' permit-holding residents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act", see link here

According to Clinton News Network "The names and addresses of the two counties' permit-holding residents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act", see link here

There has to be a way in NJ. 

Court proceedings are public. These are judges' decisions no?

RLEO aren't included because they are covered under HR218 LEOSA.

I bet a good number of that 500ish are the same politicians trying to take our rights away.

Although retired LEOS are covered by LEOSA, many also get the Retired Police Officer carry permit from the state. RPO permits are not included in carry permits issued figures as PK90 noted above. RPO permits are issued trough the NJSP. It is a totally different application process for the RPO permit.

A bigger question is who has a Non restrictive CCW as the ones issued to armed security types are highly restrictive and are no where close to being what most would call a CC 24/7 permit. I do allot of quals for RPO,LEOSA and armed security and have yet to run across a non restricted non Rpo /leosa CCW issued in NJ. Most are during work or business activity that allowed/permitted issue and no acception for to/from said activity. State should not even be calling these CCW permits as most would not consider that a carry permit in jurisdictions with shall issue statues. Just a thought.

A bigger question is who has a Non restrictive CCW as the ones issued to armed security types are highly restrictive and are no where close to being what most would call a CC 24/7 permit. I do allot of quals for RPO,LEOSA and armed security and have yet to run across a non restricted non Rpo /leosa CCW issued in NJ. Most are during work or business activity that allowed/permitted issue and no acception for to/from said activity. State should not even be calling these CCW permits as most would not consider that a carry permit in jurisdictions with shall issue statues. Just a thought.

^^Agreed - which is why we are saying the 500 permits does not include the standard non restricted RPO / LEOSA - those would be exempt from this figure -

Armed security would be restricted that is a 100% given - like I said, MAYBE a handful of that number - The rest of the permits issued last year (98-99% of the 500 figure) you can bet your ass are well connected politicians, political figures, judges, etc.

Seems if a civil rights case were files on grounds that a politician or judges CCW app is de facto shall issue vs anyone else is no issue (or at threat of exposure only via federal court appeal some have been), would they not be force to release names and reasons as their defense? This same civil rights case would also expose them as guilty of the charge as there most certainly actually are. If some how a case like this were to go ALL THE WAY up the ladder  the court would also be more prone to hear it as a civil right issue than a 2A

I would like to see  EXACTLY what was their justifiable need and why did the judges and police chiefs not deny them.  The names are not as important as we all have a pretty good idea of who they are but if you can link a name to JN that might turn some heads.

for example what did sweeny put for his JN?    and if I were to use the exact words as he did would I be denied and if so how would a court handle that  appeal. 

Sweeny has also recently made enemies with the NJ law enforcement community so what would happen if his local police chief denied him when its time for his renewal.