Sign in to follow this  
Bully

Any Input on Blade Shapes for a Fixed Blade Project?

I found my EDC knife (actually 2, I grabbed a CRKT Squid as well) and I'm trying really hard to not spend a lot of money on stuff. I'd like to use what I already have kicking around my basement to keep my hands busy until my class next year. I'm really trying to avoid buying any more guns for a bit and so in that spirit I'm going to build another knife.

I have an 8"x2" slice of 52100 that's been sitting around for a while. Since my first knife build, actually. I want to make something out of it. I'm looking for a really good working style blade but there's just so many cool designs out there I'm not sure where to go with it. 

Can y'all help out? Some suggestions for blade shape would be awesome. I have handle material that I made from old jeans so that's covered. I think I even have the 2 part epoxy floating around somewhere. I'll beg/borrow/steal some time on my buddy's belt sander to grind it. All in this shouldn't cost me a ton and I'll be keeping busy which for me is a good thing. 

What say y'all on blade shapes? Pics please.

Sorry, only have quickly available pics of folders, but maybe they'll inspire you somehow.

I'm a big fan of recurves/hawkbills, at least in my folding knives.  If I were making my own blade, I think something along those lines would be on my short list, though they're also probably a lot harder to shape/grind on your own.  I've only got a mule team 52100 blade, so I've got no experience with it short of some sharpening.

My favorite knives are the Dodos, (bottom right - 2 carbon fiber, orange, 2 blue, and black) and the blade shape is extremely useful.  I'd probably end up trying to copy them in a slightly larger fixed-blade form, given the chance.

nice.jpg

There's also a folder I never ended up getting (and regret that bigtime, now) called the Spyderco Captain.  Another really useful, if incredibly ugly, design.

I vote for a loveless drop point hunter style blade, I love mine but don't use it much because it's a real loveless. Also if you want some cool wood for the handel let me know, I can usually get some nice black walnut from a friend of mine who has a sawmill.

Decision has been made.  I'm doing a skinner.  Modified.  I have some handle material that I made from some old blue jeans a while back.  Should do just fine.  

Schrodinger's Cat:  If you want my left over steel it's yours.  Just come grab it.  It's gonna be about 6" x 1 1/2" x 1/4 +/- on all dimensions.

Thanks Chris, that's a very kind offer. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time reading about knife making, but most of it was about 1080. How are you going to heat treat the 52100 and how different is it than 1080 ? I found this article very interesting, and he has a picture of a acid solution he used on a skinner that made the steel look really cool.

http://poorfolkbows.com/knife.htm

Thanks Chris, that's a very kind offer. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time reading about knife making, but most of it was about 1080. How are you going to heat treat the 52100 and how different is it than 1080 ? I found this article very interesting, and he has a picture of a acid solution he used on a skinner that made the steel look really cool.

http://poorfolkbows.com/knife.htm

For my purposes I'm not all that concerned about the heat treat.  If I get concerned I'll send it out to get done.  

Thanks for the link.  Interesting stuff.