peppers

plumbing question

im renovating my house and have gotten to the kitchen now. my sink is on the opposite side of the house from the sewer line. my original idea was to move the kitchen to another room but after lots of measuring that just won't work. the previous setup had 1 1/2 pvc in the wall with a vent line out the roof. going to the basement there was no pitch in the line going across the house until it made a 90 degree down into the sewer line. i always had a smell from the sink my guess is stuff never made it down without the pitch. 

i will install new lines and a garbage disposal. the problem i have is both sets of stairs to the basement are on the c side. the sewer line is on the b side and the sink is on the c side. what can i do to run proper drainage without having pipe going across my stairs? the basement is only 6ft high. will remain unfinished. 

I don't think I'm understanding completely but for one you can pipe your sink around the first floor walls til you get to a location where you can drop down into the basement without crossing the stairs. You are allowed to use automatic air admittance valves for vent now in NJ (not on sewer ejector) Must be a Studor type vent not the little cheesy ones.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

im renovating my house and have gotten to the kitchen now. my sink is on the opposite side of the house from the sewer line. my original idea was to move the kitchen to another room but after lots of measuring that just won't work. the previous setup had 1 1/2 pvc in the wall with a vent line out the roof. going to the basement there was no pitch in the line going across the house until it made a 90 degree down into the sewer line. i always had a smell from the sink my guess is stuff never made it down without the pitch. 

i will install new lines and a garbage disposal. the problem i have is both sets of stairs to the basement are on the c side. the sewer line is on the b side and the sink is on the c side. what can i do to run proper drainage without having pipe going across my stairs? the basement is only 6ft high. will remain unfinished. 

The first thing you need to be sure of is that you have enough pitch.   From the sounds of it, the previous pipe went straight across the room and dumped into the sewer line.   I.E. No matter how you plumb it, it won't gravity feed properly because your distance is too great for the pitch.   In that case, you'll have to drain it into catchment and have a grinder pump(Not sure an effluent pump can handle garbage disposal) push it up to the sewer line unless you relocate it closer.

As to the plumbing...can't you just follow the walls?

Well the minimum size for a kitchen sink is 1-1/2". If there's a disposal we always use 2" minimum. The pitch on 1-1/2 or 2" is 1/4" per foot. That's a 1" drop every 4 feet. It doesn't look like a lot of pitch, but that's what's required. More pitch isn't better, that formula is essential to move solid material down the drain. Too much pitch and the solids stay in the line while the water rushes down, not carrying the soilds with it. That's when you get clogs. Your old drain probably had a smell because there wasn't a loop under the cabinet, in your dishwasher discharge line. That's the most common reason for a stink comming from a kitchen sink drain. If we can't go straight across a basement ceiling, then we run the walls over to where we need to be.

My suggestion to you is hire a licensed professional, so it works right the first time. That's why I spent 4 years in plumbing school, and 5 years as an apprentice, before I could take my master plumber exam. I charge $1000 per fixture. That's about the going rate for a kitchen sink rough.