Njsarge

Appealing your property taxes

Has anyone does this with success? If so can you explain what you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried in Passaic County. You have to file papers and wait for a hearing. Plus get market analysis of your home. Went to the hearing and was basically given the middle finger. Three years later, the whole town was reaccessed and my taxes went down. I gained nothing because the crooks raised the school taxes and whatnot. Its a fooking bunch of bs. They rob from one pocket to fill the other.

Whats worse is the school taxes tally more than the town taxes.

They need to rewrite that bs. I pay school taxes for which I don't have kids. All these towns are crooked when it comes to money.

The last step you can take is file an appeal through the state. I haven't gone that far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We did it in Monmouth county on a new construction house. We contacted our lawyer, who basically said "you don't need me, this is what you do" - which I thought was pretty classy.

My wife handled it, so if you have specific questions I can ask her.

Basically you need to file notice to appeal by a certain deadline - check with your local tax office for details in your municipality. She then conducted a bunch of comp searches for houses that recently sold in our neighborhood with similar square feet and similar lot sizes. She then came up with an "offer" of what we would like to be assessed at based on similar homes and their tax assemsents/appraisals and submitted her results to the tax office.

We got a letter in the mail a few weeks later stating that our offer was accepted.

We did it in Monmouthh county on a new construction house. We contacted our lawyer, who basically said "you don't need me, this is what you do" - which I thought was pretty classy.

My wife handled it, so if you have specific questions I can ask her.

Basically you need to file notice to appeal by a certain deadline - check with your local tax office for details in your municipality. She then conducted bunch of comp searches for houses that recently sold in our neighborhood with similar square feet and similar lot sizes. She then came up with an "offer" of what we would like to be assessed at based on similar homes and their tax assemsents/appraisals and submitted her results to the tax office.

We got a letter in the mail a few weeks later stating that our offer was accepted.

Didn't I just say that with a little theatrics? Lol...

You were lucky. It doesn't end well depending where you live.

Good luck OP. You'll need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've appealed my taxes for the last couple of years and have had decent results. This link is for the online appeal. https://secure.njappealonline.com/ProdAppeals/login.aspx

Each county has different deadlines to file. I filled out the form, actually with the help of my township tax assessors office to get the 3 necessary comps, paid the $30 to file on line, waited for someone from the township tax office to come to the house to do an appraisal, and finally got a judgement. They will give you an offer to accept. Take it or don't. If you don't accept, I believe you can go to court to fight for more. In my case, I got a reduction in taxes both times so no court needed.

First time I did it I used a lawyer, but I did it on line this time and had my daughter file hers also.

Check out the link and filing dates. Good luck

• Like 1

I did it successfully after a revaluation in our town. We had just bought our house, but they assessed it for much higher than we paid. Since the house was owned by a trust, they disregarded the sale price, arguing that it may not have been an arm's length transaction--which was silly as we did not know the seller. Their comps were demonstrably crazy, too. Comps more in line with what we paid were available and we found them. So we had a fairly decent case. In the end, it came down to a negotiation between us and the tax assessor. He was reasonable, and we reached a compromise agreement. Had we not, it would have gone to a hearing.

These outside companies the towns hire to do the revaluations are wack, and have a vested interest in maxing everyone's value out. 

What did you guys use to find comps?

Depending on how helpful your township tax collector is, they can supply you with the comps you need if you visit their office. I live in Evesham and the tax office helped me and my daughter with comps. Since they have all the tax listings in the township, it's as simple as them looking in their records. They go by similar model of home, square footage, etc.

Again....as long as they are a helpful group. Give them a call and see if they can help. It saves a ton of time.

Looks like ocean county does not have online appeals.

That sucks. You posted as I was sending out my last response. Looks like you're going to have to get info from the tax collector anyway, so you might as well ask them about help with the comps.

Went through it a few years ago for 2 rental properties i have in Mystic Island. Had to go to Toms River for the appeal hearing, got the appraisal knocked down a bout 35k on each property. A year later they knocked down everyone's appraisal and raised the tax rate.. :(