gleninjersey

Suggestions For Fixing Ailing Android Phone

I have a LG Volt with Boost (Sprint network) running Android 4.4.2.  I've had it for 14 months.  I like the phone but lately it's started having problems.  Wondering if any of the "techie" people here can make any suggestions.

I've already done a factory reset and deleted a lot of the bloat apps phone comes with.(games I'll never play and apps I'll never use)

Problems:

Running very slow.  Lags a good deal (I'll touch an app and it takes a while to open).

Can't open email   Click email icon, screen goes mostly black for a minute or two and then receive message like "Unfortunately email stopped working" and it closes and goes back to main screen.  This occurs even in safe mode.

I receive several "Unfortunately 'blank"' (Home, Settings Chrome, Email, etc,etc) has stopped working" notifications.

The ONLY app I have downloaded after doing a system reset is "Words With Friends".  It runs but it too will occassionally give me "Unfortunately Words has stopped working" message.  When playing it will lag a lot (go to drag tile and it takes a few seconds to move).  Words isn't the problem because I still couldn't access email after factory reset without prior to downloading it.  Also received same error messages before downloading it.

Thanks for any suggestions.  I'll probably just end up ordering a new phone as I'm sure they'll be having sales this Labor Day weekend.  I would just like to figure out what the problem is just in case I can't find a reasonably priced phone or want to use this phone as a back up in the future.

Android 4.x has been at end of life for a very long time. How long have you had the phone and are you willing to upgrade? (based on your initial post you are) If not I recommend rooting the phone (if you have the technical expertise) and installing Cyanogenmod which is Android vanilla and runs very cleanly. Potentially the caches are full and or you have used up all the device storage. Even worse an app could have a memory leak. Usually you can apply the PC trouble shooting guidelines, have you restarted it?

In other news you are 100% at risk for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug). Carriers refused to update software and forced you to buy new phones. It is so fragmented in regards to carrier/google patches that most corporate environments have banned Android phones access to corporate emails via exchange. If I were you I would just upgrade the phone if you haven't had it for too long. Once you get the upgrade factory wipe the old phone and store it as a oh shit backup.

Yeah - try to upgrade the version of android..... 

Cyanogenmod which is Android vanilla

Cyanogenmod isn't exactly vanilla Android...  But you're not gonna get that on a non-Nexus phone :)

Also CM may use the majority of the memory on the phone itself - IIRC the LG Volt only has 8GB memory...

Android 4.x has been at end of life for a very long time. How long have you had the phone and are you willing to upgrade? (based on your initial post you are) If not I recommend rooting the phone (if you have the technical expertise) and installing Cyanogenmod which is Android vanilla and runs very cleanly. Potentially the caches are full and or you have used up all the device storage. Even worse an app could have a memory leak. Usually you can apply the PC trouble shooting guidelines, have you restarted it?

In other news you are 100% at risk for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug). Carriers refused to update software and forced you to buy new phones. It is so fragmented in regards to carrier/google patches that most corporate environments have banned Android phones access to corporate emails via exchange. If I were you I would just upgrade the phone if you haven't had it for too long. Once you get the upgrade factory wipe the old phone and store it as a oh shit backup.

Wiping cache and doing factory reset has already been done.

I found an excellent deal on HSN for a Samsung J7 for $149.  Price includes month of service ($30).  Free shipping and handling.  New phone should be here Tuesday.  it has latest version of Android (Marshmallow 6.0).  The only "better" phone they offer is the Samsung Galaxy S7 for $600 and I'm shelling  out that kind of cash for a phone.  Hopefully it last a while but then phones aren't like guns.  Eventually they become outdated and obsolete.

I've little had the phone for a little less than 18 months.  Generally try to wait about 2 years before upgrading but this one I believe is DONE.

Would still be interested in trying to learn why this one crapped out and if I can fix it for use as an emergency back up.  So keep the suggestions coming.

S

Honestly - for android phones on an unlocked carrier like Boost, you can bring your own device.  I started with MetroPCS with a Nexus 5 and recently switched to a Nexus 6P.  J7 for $149 isn't bad though.  It's got okay specs but nothing spectacular.

Honestly - for android phones on an unlocked carrier like Boost, you can bring your own device.  I started with MetroPCS with a Nexus 5 and recently switched to a Nexus 6P.  J7 for $149 isn't bad though.  It's got okay specs but nothing spectacular.

Are you stil using MetroPCS? Got it for my kid and he contstantly gripes that the service is crappy. I know it's just T-Mobile but second tier. Have you ever had an issue where the phone/data services instead of LTE it goes to E? He says this happens when he's at the mall and cannot make any calls until it goes back to LTE and all the messages come back in as well. I know too many variables but figured I just ask someone thats using it.

Yep - still using it - no issues here.  What phone is he using?  TMO upgraded their network with channel 12 LTE which increased the range significantly.  My Nexus 6P is one of the devices that can use it.  I had more signal issues with my older Nexus 5, but not too bad.

I don't need spectacular specs to run "Word With Friends", "Dunkin'" app and access NJGF on the "interwebs".  

Are there any forums/communities you can recommend for android users? 

I don't need spectacular specs to run "Word With Friends", "Dunkin'" app and access NJGF on the "interwebs".  

Are there any forums/communities you can recommend for android users? 

http://www.droidforums.net/