Sign in to follow this  
capt14k

Gun Ranges in Sea Girt NJ

I was just reading a post by Doug Bowser and in it he talks about shooting his Springfield Trapdoor at 1,400 yds in Sea Girt NJ. I found an Army Report that said the 10 Ranges on 120 acres at Sea Girt National Guard Camp are environmentally safe. I read the National Matches were held in Sea Girt. also read about a Navy Range in Caldwell NJ. Now I know the NJSP rent space there for their Academy . My question is this 1,400 yd range Doug speaks of still accessible? Do they still hold competitions there? How does one get access to it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I never saw civilians at the shooting range. I'm not 100% percent but I don't think they are allowed there. Also, there is no 1,400 yard range there, at least not anymore. I have seen civilians on base for children's sporting events and things like that though. 

The long yardage ranges you speak of were closed long ago.  "The Nationals" moved to Camp Perry in Ohio.  To learn more about the National Guard Camp, I'd contact the Museum located on the grounds at Sea Girt.  Noted Author Joe Bilby (a friend of mine and member of Monmouth Co. Rifle and Pistol Club) is the Assistant Curator there.  Here's their web site:   http://www.nj.gov/military/museum/ 

If you get to speak to Joe, tell him Rosey sent you for info :) .

• Like 1

Unfortunately  , New Jersey has many forgotten gun ranges with a lot of history . You mention two of them  but many rnational records were set in Schuetzen Park , Hudson County NJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuetzen_Park_(New_Jersey)

PS - The marine  bouys  marking the boundary of the Sea Girt range are still there and  are  depicted on current marine navigational maps

• Like 1

I guess it's another change for the worse that took place here in NJ. Doug wrote about shooting there when he was 16 yrs old which would have made it sometime in the late 1950s- early 60s.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk