Innavedaw

Moving to New Jersey from "gasp" Canada

Hey all,

Just joined up as it appears my company will be transferring me from Toronto to NYC this fall/winter and I need some serious help figuring out which (if any) of my firearms I can bring with me and what I need to legally possess and acquire. And I thought Canadian gun laws were confusing...I have a ton of questions which I will post in the appropriate forums.

Also have to find good places to shoot...looking for 3 Gun and IDPA primarily...but that can wait until I actually get down there...not sure where exactly we will end up but it will be commuting distance to NYC.

Thanks in advance...looking forward to joining your community.

...you may have to store them out of state until you get your FID??...

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpgPicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpgNo, he can move into NJ and possess NJ-legal firearms without having a FID (NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card).

FID is NOT required for firearms ownership in NJ. 

It is required for purchasing long guns and some kinds of ammo in NJ.

• Like 1

That's where I was going to head for an answer to the OPs question.   That definitely be his first concern.

Thanks...I was just reading some of the FAQ's posts over in the Gun Laws forum...

My biggest question is around just moving with the guns...I know I need an FID/P2P for purchasing, but am I legal to possess and transport (range/gunsmith, etc) without the FID? I have read I don't need to register my guns when I move but that doesn't really tell me if I can take them shooting before I get an FID...

As for my firearms,, I am pretty squared away with handguns and standard shotguns...I have a Sig P226, Glock 17, S&W 686 and a Remington 870 that I know are all NJ legal...I have an old Tokarev TT33 which the ATF advised me was not legal to import to the US as it's Russian.

The guns I am confused about are my AR's and my Mossberg 590 - it has a bayonet lug so is that kosher?

The AR's are not NJ legal in current form, but can I make them legal or should I just sell them here and buy new ones when I get my FID in my new home? Both have barrels less than 16" (11.5" & 14.5", adjustable stocks, one has a bayonet lug, both have threaded barrels (compensator and OEM flash hider respectively)...

Anyway, still scouring the threads and appreciate any wisdom / insight anyone can offer...

Thanks...I was just reading some of the FAQ's posts over in the Gun Laws forum...

My biggest question is around just moving with the guns...I know I need an FID/P2P for purchasing, but am I legal to possess and transport (range/gunsmith, etc) without the FID? I have read I don't need to register my guns when I move but that doesn't really tell me if I can take them shooting before I get an FID...

There is a lot of confusion about NJ gun laws and the purpose of the FID.  I bet you can find some NJ police officers who believe that an FID = a permit to own firearms, which is incorrect.

You DO NOT NEED an FID to legally transport firearms from your home to range/gunsmith and back.  HOWEVER, NJ firearms law is structured on the premise that firearms possession is illegal...except within certain allowed exemptions.  When you are in possession of a firearm, you need to be within an exemption (At property owned or possessed by you, at a business you *OWN*, at a range/gunsmith, or travelling directly with only "reasonable deviations" between those locations).

That said, having an FID card is a "good idea".   At the very least, if you are stopped by law enforcement while in possession of firearms the FID signifies to the officer that you are likely NOT a felon since you passed the background check to receive an FID. 

An FID also grants you the ability to transport a legal long arm (rifle/shotgun, but NOT HANDGUN) in your vehicle "full time", not just within exemptions, as long as it is in the trunk or in a "fastened case".

• Like 2

Regarding AR's - bayonet lug has to go.  Dremeling it off is an option. 

Muzzle devices can NOT be flash hiders (brake/compensator is ok, flash hider is not), and must be pinned/welded so they can not be unscrewed.

Stocks can not be adjustable.  Pin them in place, or replace with fixed stocks.

Overall barrel length needs to be over 16" (most go to 16.5" to be safe), but that measurement will INCLUDE the length of your (pinned and welded, non-flash hider) muzzle device.  Your 11.5" barrel is no go, but the 14.5" might be good if you have a 2" muzzle device permanently attached to the end of it.

Thanks very much DirtyDigz...30 minutes on this forum has netted me more usable information than 3 days worth of reading through NJ statutes and State Police FAQ's. Really appreciate the clear and concise info.

NJ sounds a lot like my home country with respect to firearms laws...except here we need a PAL (our version of an FID - Possession and Acquisition Licence) to even possess. Transport sounds similar too (unloaded, locked and reasonably direct route) except I need a separate permit to transport "restricted" firearms (handguns and AR's)...Anyway, thanks again...

Regarding Mossberg 590 - that's a pump action shotgun, correct?  If so, very few restrictions on pump action shotguns in NJ.  I think a minimum length is the only restriction.   It can have a bayonet, it can have a folding/adjustable stock, it can have a pistol grip, it can have any capacity magazine tube, etc.

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpgPicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpgNo, he can move into NJ and possess NJ-legal firearms without having a FID (NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card).

FID is NOT required for firearms ownership in NJ. 

It is required for purchasing long guns and some kinds of ammo in NJ.

I thought that only applied to long guns, and that handguns are a no-go?

I thought that only applied to long guns, and that handguns are a no-go?

No requirement for a FID to possess handguns in NJ.  People can move into NJ with handguns from other states, and not get a FID immediately, or at all, if they don't want to.  They could also buy their ammo out of state and legally bring it back into NJ and bypass the need for an FID to buy ammo in NJ too.

I can go to Cabelas in PA and buy a BB pistol (not considered a firearm in PA, considered a handgun in NJ) bring it into NJ following legal transport rules, and legally own it in NJ without having a FID.

No requirement for a FID to possess handguns in NJ.  People can move into NJ with handguns from other states, and not get a FID immediately, or at all, if they don't want to.  They could also buy their ammo out of state and legally bring it back into NJ and bypass the need for an FID to buy ammo in NJ too.

I can go to Cabelas in PA and buy a BB pistol (not considered a firearm in PA, considered a handgun in NJ) bring it into NJ following legal transport rules, and own it in NJ without having a FID.

I was not aware. Good to know. If you were to sell said BB pistol *in nj*, youd have to request a handgun permit, right?

Stupid laws.

I Thought the FID was primarily a long gun thing as far as transporting/possessing.The laws here confuse the crap out of me.

Nonetheless, OP, best not get pulled over with a bunch of firearms and no FID. Keep em locked up til ya get your papers, haha.

There is a lot of confusion about NJ gun laws and the purpose of the FID.  I bet you can find some NJ police officers who believe that an FID = a permit to own firearms, which is incorrect.

You DO NOT NEED an FID to legally transport firearms from your home to range/gunsmith and back.  HOWEVER, NJ firearms law is structured on the premise that firearms possession is illegal...except within certain allowed exemptions.  When you are in possession of a firearm, you need to be within an exemption (At property owned or possessed by you, at a business you *OWN*, at a range/gunsmith, or travelling directly with only "reasonable deviations" between those locations).

That said, having an FID card is a "good idea".   At the very least, if you are stopped by law enforcement while in possession of firearms the FID signifies to the officer that you are likely NOT a felon since you passed the background check to receive an FID. 

An FID also grants you the ability to transport a legal long arm (rifle/shotgun, but NOT HANDGUN) in your vehicle "full time", not just within exemptions, as long as it is in the trunk or in a "fastened case".

What he said.  Pretty much exactly what I would also say.

Stop reading and worrying about silly laws. According to the FBI it's okay if you violate laws as long your intent is good.

Oh wait, that's only for the political elites and well connected. Not for us common folk. Nevermind.

But seriously, welcome to the forums and NJ. NJ isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Once you get down here try a nice PORK ROLL egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. Some weidros may refer to it as a Taylor Ham egg and cheese sandwhjcb. They are wrong. Don't take ANY gun advice from those people. They don't know what they are talking about.

Hey all,

Just joined up as it appears my company will be transferring me from Toronto to NYC this fall/winter and I need some serious help figuring out which (if any) of my firearms I can bring with me and what I need to legally possess and acquire. And I thought Canadian gun laws were confusing...I have a ton of questions which I will post in the appropriate forums.

Also have to find good places to shoot...looking for 3 Gun and IDPA primarily...but that can wait until I actually get down there...not sure where exactly we will end up but it will be commuting distance to NYC.

Thanks in advance...looking forward to joining your community.

Move to Pa. and be done with all the BS here.

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of NJ...oh, and the forum!