Malsua

Hanjin - stranded at sea

My company does quite a lot of sea container shipping and if you've not heard, Hanjin declared bankruptcy.

They are the worlds 7th largest shipper.

Something within 3 feet of you has been shipped by Hanjin.

Currently there are ships steaming around that no longer have permission or funds to dock and unload.

We have a container on a ship that's sitting outside of the Panama Canal and can't come through.   We'll survive, but I'm quite sure other companies will be harder hit.

A couple of things to note.   LG tvs and HP computers.  If you're going to buy one of those, get it now or wait...a bunch of that is floating right now and who knows when it will get offloaded.  Maybe today, maybe 20 weeks from now.

Second, you're on a container ship, outside of a major port to a country you have no Visa for.  The boat is low on fuel.  There is no paycheck coming and you have no way to get to land, even if the host country would let you.  Your 2 weeks of food was consumed already.   How do you eat?  How do you get home?   What do you do?

It's an interesting mental puzzle and one I wouldn't want to be locked into.

Transport companies declare bankruptcy all the time. I bet there are plans in place for situations like this.

If there was, maybe they should tell those people on the boats.  I'm not suggesting these are going to be zombie ships with swollen belly crew begging for food...but this is a big company and hopefully it isn't a bellwether for the world economy.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-08/its-bordering-chaos-14-billion-cargo-stranded-sea-crews-go-crazy-hanjin-ghost-ships

"It's Bordering Chaos": $14 Billion In Cargo Stranded At Sea, Crews "Go Crazy" On Hanjin Ghost Ships

"Food and water are running down in those ships floating in international waters.”  As a result, The company has started providing food, water and daily necessities to crews on six Hanjin ships anchored at ports including Rotterdam and Singapore. About 70 container movers and 15 bulk ships are stranded at 50 ports in 26 countries, according to Hanjin. One Hanjin captain operating a ship in international waters near Japan said his vessel has been given permission to enter a Japanese port Wednesday to unload cargo, but will be required to head back out soon after.

Transport companies declare bankruptcy all the time. I bet there are plans in place for situations like this.

Somehow in this case there was not. Looks like they are working some of it out but seems all ships need to dock in Korea or US and even then one of three docks in each country and offload there then transport by cargo plane the goods to their destinations. Reason being entire ships and their cargo were already seized in China by creditors and are under threat of seizure in other nations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that's crazy. Apparently this shit show started like a week ago already, im surprised i hadn't heard sooner. They only move a small percentage of the worlds freight but 3 or 4% can make a huge impact. Hopefully they get their shit together.

Just read that article and it looks like all of the freight companies have been doing poorly.....it'd be a slight issue if more major transportation companies collapsed.

Why not make a deal with the country who's port you're near, or another steamship line and sell the cargo to them.

They are worried about creditors seizing their ships, and, most countries dont want to take them because they know they won't get paid!

My company has over a dozen 40' containers sitting on the ocean in this mess thru Hanjin. The situation is pretty dire to say the least.

The next few weeks/months will be very interesting and im not looking forward to dealing with the fallout..

Samsung has it pretty bad with around 200 million worth of products stuck at sea.

Black friday should be entertaining lol

Another large shipping company will come in, assume the fees, payroll, and outstanding fuel bills, make nicey-nicey with customs and port authorities, and it will be business as usual in short order.

This^

But still... I have cans full of stainless steel test measures/proovers floating offshore and backlogged orders from customers that cant be filled......"business as usual" needs to be expedited.

This^

But still... I have cans full of stainless steel test measures/proovers floating offshore and backlogged orders from customers that cant be filled......"business as usual" needs to be expedited.

Here's another problem we have.

We have some offloaded Hanjin containers sitting in the port, ready to be delivered.  The port doesn't want to use a chassis (i.e. trailer wheels) on these containers.  If they release the containers to us, we empty it and send it back.  Now they have to deal with an empty container.   If it has some cargo in it, they seem to think they have some leverage.   They don't want a giant stack of empty containers taking up space in the port that no one lays claim to.

That said, now might be a good time to buy one if you ever wanted a mostly water tight steel box to bury on your property.

Another large shipping company will come in, assume the fees, payroll, and outstanding fuel bills, make nicey-nicey with customs and port authorities, and it will be business as usual in short order.

This is the answer. I've seen it done before. Yes it will take several days but remember someone's got to come up with probably hundreds of millions of dollars to put things back in motion.

I would take a few off their hands for storage........

Wasn't there a company making shooting ranges out of these? Thought I remember a post about that from a few years ago.........

This is the answer. I've seen it done before. Yes it will take several days but remember someone's got to come up with probably hundreds of millions of dollars to put things back in motion.

The current estimate is $542,000,000 USD to get things moving, and it's only going to go up the longer the ships sit, unable to dock. The situation doesn't affect my day-to-day but I am curious to see what happens.

The current estimate is $542,000,000 USD to get things moving, and it's only going to go up the longer the ships sit, unable to dock. The situation doesn't affect my day-to-day but I am curious to see what happens.

That ready range is great for people that can afford it and have a 40' garage. Out of my league. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk