sroc112

Your choice of CCW handgun, and opinions

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new handgun this month and want to get something on the smaller end that would be ideal for CCW if needed. I am leaning toward 9mm for the most part, but i am torn between a few options that i have my eyes on.

For those of you who do carry, most likely out of state, what is your go to choice? Below are a few that i am considering, please chime in with your opinions on each if you have any.

S.A. xds 3.3 9mm

H&K p30sk (really dont have much knowledge behind this one)

Glock G26

Kimber ultra compact .45

Anyone here use an ultra compact 1911 as a CCW?

Thanks!

When it comes to carrying there is NO perfect gun and everyone has there own opinions on what is the perfect carry gun. It truly comes down to what feels comfortable to YOU. I've changed my carry gun 4 times in the last 10 years. My current Off Duty is a Glock 42. absolutely love the gun. Small and very light weight, yet can still easily qualify at 25 yards with it. Like I said there is No  perfect gun, you need to find the perfect balance of Size, weight, and Caliber that suits you. if you want something on the smaller end look at Karh arms, CM9 or CW9 , Smith and Wesson Shield 9.

Really depends a lot on your body type and what you can hide...

I personally carry a Dan Wesson Vbob at home in an OWB Simply rugged deafcon 3 holster -- That thing disappears on me and is so comfortable that I don't even notice it's on

The Vbob is a commander sized 1911 with a bobbed grip -- Also it's .45 acp

90% of the time I carry a G35 or G23 off duty and a G22 mag as a spare. Occasionally, I'll carry a Kahr PM9 if what I am wearing just won't work with the bigger guns.

My personal feeling is this - after making reasonable and educated concessions carry the gun you shoot the best, in a caliber you trust, that you can conceal in the clothes you are going to wear.

I think of it this way. On the worst day of my life, do I want to be wishing that I brought a different gun?

• Like 1

I'd add the Glock 19 to your list. Just a bit bigger and easier to shoot well. An inch more in length or height really don't make a difference in carrying ability AFAIC.

I agree with those criteria HE stated above.

I've concealed carried everything from a full size 1911 or Beretta 92 down to a NAA mini-revolver (only a a deep concealment backup). There are a few guns I'm very comfortable carrying but that's me and you are you.

My concern with guns in the commander size or g19 is the size of the gun compared to my physique. I am about 5 foot 8 and 165/175 pounds. My waist is about a 29. So i need something small or youll be seeing the butt end of the grip poking through my shirt no matter where i put it. This is why i considered a single stack and something in the xds size profile. Although, i would prefer a little larger handle.

I carry a G19 and the G43.....

If the G26 is on your list.... regardless of your bodytype, I would also include the G19. With the right cant, you should be able to conceal nearly everything with a quality holster.  I have CCW'd a Beretta 92 in a Blade-Tech Eclipse OWB under a t-shirt with no problems.... 

My concern with guns in the commander size or g19 is the size of the gun compared to my physique. I am about 5 foot 8 and 165/175 pounds. My waist is about a 29. So i need something small or youll be seeing the butt end of the grip poking through my shirt no matter where i put it. This is why i considered a single stack and something in the xds size profile. Although, i would prefer a little larger handle.

I worked with a woman who is 4-10 and weighs 85 lbs. She's still on the job and carried a gun concealed for work every day. She concealed a Glock 17 well. Sometimes you have to dress around what you have to carry. If you insist on wearing tight shirts and jeans that limits your options. Many non LEO insist on the smallest and lightest gun they can find. A j frame or 380 meets this criteria. However many don't work at developing the skills to use these well. They are satisfied with pie plate accuracy at 10 feet (although these guns are capable of much more). Others see themselves in an action movie shootout carrying 2 full size double stack 9s and 4 spare magazines. The best idea is somewhere in between.

Don't worry about printing so much. I've carried a gun just about daily from over 40 years. I've been challenged exactly twice in that time as to why I had a gun. Both times it was because someone saw the gun, not a bulge.

• Like 2

Sroc112- I'm about the same size as you 5'10" 170lbs and I have concealed carried my fill size 1911 many times without a problem but I had to dress for it. My go to CC guns are my S&W shield 9mm AND my 649 .357mag. I subscribe to the one is none and two is one way of thinking. I also like to have the option of 2 different calibers

I am frequently in FL and carry all the time. If I use an IWB holster, I have 3 9mm I like to carry: G19, Walther PPQ or H&K VP9. If I do not want to carry with an IWB holster, I have a Ruger LCS 9, which comes in multiple model types and put it in a DeSantis pocket holster; all of the IWB guns are striker fired and the Ruger is an improved double action trigger. It is really a matter of experimentation and personal choice and as indicated above, there really is no "best". Try and rent and test shoot that which you are interested in and compare. Also, your mode of carry is important to what you choose.

When I carried in PA I had a Springfield XD 9mm subcompact in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at the 5 O'Clock position. What I noticed is that while it's a smaller framed gun, the width is what makes it print, but only when bending over or sitting down (5'10" 190 lbs). This was while wearing jeans and a golf shirt.

I'm a fan of the S.A. xds 3.3 9mm.     Freakishly accurate for it's size, I shot it a LOT better than the G26 or the M&P Shield.   7, 8, and 9 round mags available, depending on how much length and capacity you want.   It falls between the Shield and the G26 in terms of thickness.

I'm 5'7" and an athletic 190 and my G26 is perfect for me in size, capacity, weight, and concealability

But to be honest I wouldn't hesitate a G19 carry in winter under bulkier clothes

I may pick up a G43 next year with my GSSF just because the single stacks are nice to have but it probably wouldn't replace my G26

I am curious about this - What makes you prefer 2 different calibers?

I do allot of out of state outdoors recreation often in areas with allot of black bears so I have the .357mag for them and 9mm and or .357mag for the meth cooks and moonshiners and other unsavory backwoods banjo playing people. If I feel overpenatration would a problem I can opt for the 9mm.

I'm probably over thinking it, hell a guy just killed an attacking grizzly with a 9mm in AK I belive. BUT I live by the motto "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

If you have time to calculate over-penetration of your chosen defense round into your threat, you probably have time to do something other than shoot.

I occasionally carry two calibers, but that is a function of what the chosen guns are chambered in and not a calculated decision on situationally dependent terminal effects.

If I spent a lot of time in the woods and was worried about bears, or other predators of both the four and two legged variety, I would probably just carry stuff in 10mm.

• Like 1

I do allot of out of state outdoors recreation often in areas with allot of black bears so I have the .357mag for them and 9mm and or .357mag for the meth cooks and moonshiners and other unsavory backwoods banjo playing people. If I feel overpenatration would a problem I can opt for the 9mm.

I'm probably over thinking it, hell a guy just killed an attacking grizzly with a 9mm in AK I belive. BUT I live by the motto "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

I think you're under thinking this.

The 640 with it's short barrel produces a lot of muzzle flash and recoil. Because of the short barrel, the velocity, energy, and terminal ballistics are about the same as your 9mm.

I used to carry a Glock 17 and 640 for the reasons HE mentioned. After a bit of experimentation I carried the 640 with Federal 147 gr +P+ 38s. Much less flash and recoil and easier to control. Not much slower than magnums out the short barrel.

Carrying magnums in a 4" or longer is a totally different animal.

• Like 1

I use the Buffalo bore heavy 357 mag outdoorsman round. 180g. Yes it has more recoil and flash and yes with the short barrel on my 649 I loose some power but I still think a 180g hard cast ball round will penatrate a bear further than a 9mm gold dot would. I'd love to get a 10mm revolver and will have one in the future but for now I'll use what I have on hand.

I use the Buffalo bore heavy 357 mag outdoorsman round. 180g. Yes it has more recoil and flash and yes with the short barrel on my 649 I loose some power but I still think a 180g hard cast ball round will penatrate a bear further than a 9mm gold dot would. I'd love to get a 10mm revolver and will have one in the future but for now I'll use what I have on hand.

I'll agree that the 180 gr load will penetrate more than a 124 Gold Dot. I've never fired that load but recoil has to be brutal in a 23 oz gun. I know how 158s and 125s feel in that gun. I would hope if you need to use it the first round stops your adversary. Recovery from the recoil will take a lot more time than with a lighter load. Most of the documented attacking bears killed with handguns took more than one shot. That's with 357s, 41s, or 44s I would prefer to have something I could put 2 or 3 into the target quickly.