Sign in to follow this  
ramnj

Metal Target Ranges in NJ/PA??

Cherry Ridge range has a silhouette range for .22LR only. They also have stationary steel targets on the pistol range, but I'm unsure of the distance. They might have steel on the 50/100 yard rifle range as well.

OBRPC in Old Bridge, and CJRPS in Jackson both allow steel targets and have steel shooting matches. Both are clubs you would need to join, but their matches are open to the public

At what distances, and for what calibers? R14 allows steel but only at 200 yards.

Cherry Ridge range has a silhouette range for .22LR only. They also have stationary steel targets on the pistol range, but I'm unsure of the distance. They might have steel on the 50/100 yard rifle range as well.

Pistol range is 25 yards I believe. The 50/100 yard rifle range has steel targets at 100 yards .

At what distances, and for what calibers? R14 allows steel but only at 200 yards.

At OB (and anywhere really) for pistol and shotgun targets less the 7 yards is really bad news unless you shoot frangible ammo. Rifle steel .. at less then 50yards you will quickly destroy it, but quality steel (think 2/3" AR500) will survive a long time from 50yards out if you are not hitting it with AP ammo or really heavy calibers. 

CJ, has longer ranges and reasonably they want you to place you targets in a such a way that bullets hit the back stop, so placing a steel target on the ground at 50 yards means that if you miss you will probably skip it over the berms so you will have to move that back. I'm not sure how they feel about steel hanging higher such that misses would hit the back stop, I only really care about the 300yard line on that range.

The biggest safety tip: shoot quality steel, not beat up crap. Good steel targets shatter the bullets pretty effectively and last longer. Steel that gets dented, gouged, or damaged will start throwing bullet fragments every which way including back to the shooter.

I'm sure there will be assholes on here that will try to argue with me on this but you should also make sure your steel angles down so it directs the fragments to the ground. 

I turn them sideways to make it more challenging.

Any samples of an "acceptable steel target" at R14?

No idea, to be honest. I'd imagine its basically just no shooting steel rims type of deal.. If you have a legitimate AR500 steel target id bet youll be fine. They dont want you bringing random scrap and crap to shoot, i'd imagine, is what the whole RO approved only thing is about.

I ordered a 1/2" 10" round AR500 target to shoot, but itll be at 200 yards, so it should be fine even with larger calibers. Hopefully the RO's dont give me a problem, im going to have a frame for it welded up at the shop. Just waiting for the target to come in so i can build one.

I'm sure there will be assholes on here that will try to argue with me on this but you should also make sure your steel angles down so it directs the fragments to the ground. 

If it's a big heavy target, or a static target, yes, angled is more than a good idea. 

For targets that move easily or with less inertia, I haven't seen a lot of difference in end results. For example 1/2" AR500 6" plates dangling from chain. They either shatter the bullet if it is small and fast, or most of the energy winds up in the target and you get a lot of smooshed bullets on the ground near the target. 

• Like 1

There are steel target matches at Quinton Sportsmens Club.

They have a .22lr rifle match the 1st Sunday of the month February thru December

Steel Silhouettes 50m thru 200m.

A black powder/ Lever action Silhouette match on odd# months.

and a high power steel shoot on even# months.

And pistol match 50m thru 150m on the 4th sunday of the month.

For more info contact sprg03ken @gmail.com.

A new Quinton website should be up in a couple of days.

Rifle steel .. at less then 50yards you will quickly destroy it, but quality steel (think 2/3" AR500) will survive a long time from 50yards out if you are not hitting it with AP ammo or really heavy calibers. 

The biggest safety tip: shoot quality steel, not beat up crap. Good steel targets shatter the bullets pretty effectively and last longer. 

Any recommendations for good/fun steel targets to get for shooting .223/5.56 at OBRPC?