orangesolo

Buying a .22LR for hunting?

Hi, so I just registered for my hunters education class and am looking to get a rifle to obviously use for hunting. Now I already have an AR (M&P 15 Sport 2).

Obviously I can't use that in NJ, so I was thinking about getting an M&P 15-22 Sport to use for hunting. I've been browsing around this section and a lot of you guys have been saying that if your rifle can fit .22mag then it's good to go, but nothing else. Does that mean I can only use .22mag ammo or can I also use .22LR ammo ( ammo for the M&P ). Thanks!

Also, not a big fan of hunting with a shotgun if anyone's trying to suggest that :)

Well if you plan on hunting in NJ without the use of a shotgun, your seasons are severely limited.  Best get a copy of the Hunting Regulations and sit down and study,  NJ game code is very precise, and very hard to understand.  

• Like 1

.22 rimfires can only be used to hunt groundhogs (and maybe coyotes, but you probably wouldn't kill one effectively with it). I haven't seen a S&W M&P chambered in .22 mag. 

What are you looking to hunt?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_846055_-1_804155_757786_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Honestly at this point, mostly turkey & deer.

Well if you plan on hunting in NJ without the use of a shotgun, your seasons are severely limited.  Best get a copy of the Hunting Regulations and sit down and study,  NJ game code is very precise, and very hard to understand.  

Seriously, you can't really hunt with a .22 in jersey? That's literally so stupid.. this is why I hate NJ regulations. I guess i'll just buy my .22 to plinker with, since it's super cheap.

Do you know of a webpage that shows A) what firearms can be used on what animals B) when the animals are in season? If you can, thanks!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_846055_-1_804155_757786_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Seriously, you can't really hunt with a .22 in jersey? That's literally so stupid.. this is why I hate NJ regulations. I guess i'll just buy my .22 to plinker with, since it's super cheap.

Do you know of a webpage that shows A) what firearms can be used on what animals B) when the animals are in season? If you can, thanks!

Why would you want to hunt deer with a .22? Don't blame NJ, the reason it's illegal is that it's entirely cruel to hunt with .22 given that you are more than likely not going to kill it instantly and will instead only wound it and cause it unnecessary suffering as it spends hours bleeding out.

Hunting in NJ with Centerfire, or Rimfire long guns have very specific qualifiers.

Season including any overlap with other seasons

Species Hunted

Projectile allowed

Items in possession. Do Not have anything on your person that could make the CO think you could be hunting something else.  Like a shotgun shell in your jacket pocket.

S$it gets real real quick when hunting public property (WMAs)

• Like 1

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but before your even think about hunting please consider what it means to be a hunter. No offense, but it bothers me that someone is willing to walk in the woods and shoot a deer with a .22

If you want to hunt deer and turkey, learn to shoot a bow as it will provide you with the longest seasons in NJ.

Yes, you can hunt coyote with .223

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On private land.

• Like 3

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but before your even think about hunting please consider what it means to be a hunter. No offense, but it bothers me that someone is willing to walk in the woods and shoot a deer with a .22

If you want to hunt deer and turkey, learn to shoot a bow as it will provide you with the longest seasons in NJ.

On private land.

Correct about on private land. I've only ever hunted on private land in NJ, so I didn't think about anything but private land. Thank you for the clarification.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I mean I don't really know anything about hunting, which is why I asked this question. Even though it's a stupid question, I learned a bit already from a lot of what you guys have posted. I don't know if the permits are from jan-dec, if so then ill just apply in 2017 and learn everything I can about it for the next four months.

Read the hunter manual for yourself. They're free at shops and online. Very clear and specific about what when and how. Licenses are for the calendar year. If you're interested you can still go for deer and small birds this fall. If you're new I suggest going with someone. If you're shy go on pheasant stocking days but wait until 9 am when all the diner owners are back in Parsippany baking on the premises. 

I mean I don't really know anything about hunting, which is why I asked this question. Even though it's a stupid question, I learned a bit already from a lot of what you guys have posted. I don't know if the permits are from jan-dec, if so then ill just apply in 2017 and learn everything I can about it for the next four months.

You need to complete a hunter education course before you can buy a hunting license. You should do so because it will teach you a lot about the regulations, ethics and procedures related to hunting. The course is free and will allow you to make  a decision on whether or non you want to hunt the various game available in NJ. You should sign up for both the general hunting course as well as the rifle course to be able to hunt with rifles in NJ. Bow is a separate course if you want to take that as well.

Taking this course is also helpful if you need live fire training to get an out of state carry permit such as Florida. The certificate they give you is sufficient for Florida.

Licenses and stamps run from Jan 1 - Dec 31, permits are for the hunting season - typically Oct - Feb. Rifle permits are July 1 - June 30.

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y - This rifle is chambered in .22LR, you cannot shoot .22 magnum out of it.

• Like 1

I thought you couldn't hunt with a rifle in NJ, period.  Shotgun, muzzle loader, black powder what have you, but not a centerfire or rimfire rifle at all.  No?

Centerfire and rimfire rifle is limited to coyotes, foxes and ground hogs, with specific season, caliber and bullet weight restrictions. Dispatching trapped animals is also allowed with some rimfires.

• Like 1

Did you just say you wanted to hunt deer with a .22?

ETA: Didn't realize this was an older thread.