Sign in to follow this  
NicePants

Glenfield Model 60 Magazine Tube

Hey, I've got an old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 that I bought without a magazine tube. I've been looking online for one, but apparently they're all 18 shot tubes and I can't have that or else I'll cause some sort of apocalypse according to the state. I was just wondering, could I just drop in one of the 15 shot ones from a non-glenfield model 60? A friend also has an old Glenfield model 60 outer mag tube assembly he said he'd give me, so could I just drop an inner mag tube assembly from a 15 shot one and have that work, or does the outer tube need to be modified as well?

No modification to the orig outer tube necessary.

Use a small tubing cutter (with cutter wheel replaced by a flat washer of same dia) to crimp the 18 rnd inner tube so the follower only allows 15 .22LR rounds

Voila

Apocalypse avoided and Bubba will just have to find another spunk receptacle.

There you go problem solved.  I remember when that crap first hit.  Legislature refused to exempt rimfires.  Marlin offered a replacement called the 'NJ tube' for a while afterwards.  Check the Nylon buffer parts in the reciever, they weaken and fail causing the bolt to slam the back of the receiver and do damage as well.  Replacements are found at several different locations on da webs.

If you end up going the route of modifying a pipe cutter into a crimper (which works real well), and you need to go out and buy one, make sure the cutting disk is removable (usually screwed on). Some are riveted on and not removable.