Oleg

Last knife sharpener you will ever need

How is it man has gotten by for so many years with a stone and Strop? I like the diamond bit sharpening rods for my chef knives. Good stone and strop will cost a fraction of what that system costs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not that bad compared to the competition. That looks like a real winner of a device

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Bud, if it was in my budget it would be under my tree. I'll stick with my Lansky for now

Has anyone here have any experience with the Work Sharp Combo Knife Sharpener?

https://www.worksharptools.com/combo-knife-sharpener.html

Here is one review that is quite positive:

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2016/09/work-sharp-combo-knife-sharpener-review/

As a pretty straight forward approach that does not break the bank, it sounds good to me....

AVB-AMG

Has anyone here have any experience with the Work Sharp Combo Knife Sharpener?

https://www.worksharptools.com/combo-knife-sharpener.html

Here is one review that is quite positive:

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2016/09/work-sharp-combo-knife-sharpener-review/

As a pretty straight forward approach that does not break the bank, it sounds good to me....

AVB-AMG

I have the first gen. It's amazing but just go slow and don't round your tips

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

That kit in OP's post looks like a tarted up Lansky system. For 10x the price.

I love my Work Sharp, Ken Onion Edition.

Same here. I did a fine job with stones but the WS just does it faster.

The Ken Onion version uses wider belts and has variable speeds, both positive features.

:newrussian:   Brilliantly thought out and executed!  :good:

capt:I'm a stone man myself.

Always found sharpening therapeutic,.... After the learning curve. LOL  

Did add Grizzly's 8" Razor Sharp System to the sharpening arsenal. $30 on sale.  Love it! 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Razor-Sharp-System/G5937  Currently $49.95.  Goes on sale couple times a year. 

A few members bought these from me, It will sharpen anything, including chain saw blades very portable for boat camp hunting fishing! SOLD OUT Never to be seen again ,as new...

Stay Sharp My Friends!

Veff sharpener b.jpg

I’m a plus one for the Work Sharp knife and tool sharpening system. Mine is the standard system, I guess it’s a step down from the Ken Onion. 

I’ve spent many hours on stones, diamonds, rods, and yes, to a point, those methods can/might be considered therapeutic. But I have yet to see anything produce the excellent edge in a short amount of time like the Work Sharp. 

I don’t have any (nor interested in) $800 knives, nor do I use cheap-o knifes. Mid range Kershaw,  Spyderco, SOG, Gerber, and Benchmade. I also use it with  my Chicago cutlery kitchen knives. 

On 8/14/2017 at 1:18 PM, son of sam said:

I use the Wicked Edge System. Edge has a mirror polish that you can most definitely use to shave.

https://hp-tactical.com/products/wicked-edge-pro-pack-i

I got this system. It’s great but takes time and practice to use it properly. Reserve 20-30 minutes to sharpen one knife. I only use it on the upstroke too. When I did the downstroke I caught my fingers a couple times for a pretty deep laceration. My thumb got cut so deeply that I should have gotten sutures. Fixed it myself. Again, be careful with this product. 

9 hours ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I got this system. It’s great but takes time and practice to use it properly. Reserve 20-30 minutes to sharpen one knife. I only use it on the upstroke too. When I did the downstroke I caught my fingers a couple times for a pretty deep laceration. My thumb got cut so deeply that I should have gotten sutures. Fixed it myself. Again, be careful with this product. 

Wicked Edge- Cool name, but

Way over priced and difficult to use.

No portabilty.

I have used the Spyderco Sharpmaker system for 10+ years at this point. With the diamond, coarse, fine, and ultrafine rods, I have been able to deal with most issues I encounter easily. Chips and severely dull knives take time, as would anything with finesse. I can get knives hair popping sharp and have even split hairs with knives I have sharpened. Takes me 2-4 hours to do 10-20 knives, depending on how dull they are and if serrated or not. (I have around 30 "user" knives and put dull ones aside and grab another, then sharpen everything in one batch.) Sharpening a single knife might take as long to set up and put away the system as it does to sharpen, depending how dull it is.

Full kit with 4 pairs of rods and base should run around $120, while the basic kit with 2 pairs of rods is around $60. If you start with reasonably sharp knives, probably dont need the diamond rods. However, for a rolled edge or other annoyances, diamonds make the problem go away a lot faster. For work knives, you might not need the ultrafine rods, but I highly suggest them for kitchen knives.

After the first couple knives, it is incredibly easy to get great results. Watch the DVD they include and you'll pick it up in no time.

I'm a Spyderco fanboy, but I was never as  consistent as I am now with stones or other sharpeners.

I have the Spyderco system as well.  Seems to work OK, but I don't have the attention span to spend more than a couple of minutes per blade.  Fifteen to twenty swipes on each side with the coarse and fine rods, and I'm done.  Don't know if the knife is really done at that point, but I am. 

That is a pretty cool system from Russia.  I have one that works for me and I like this knife sharpening system from KME.   The company is right here in Sussex NJ. and American made.  It started out as a company to sharpen broadheads.  I love my kit.

https://www.kmesharp.com/

49 minutes ago, Underdog said:

That is a pretty cool system from Russia.  I have one that works for me and I like this knife sharpening system from KME.   The company is right here in Sussex NJ. and American made.  It started out as a company to sharpen broadheads.  I love my kit.

https://www.kmesharp.com/

That looks like the GATCO (Great American Tool Company, Jacksonville AL) which I have starting at $30

10006 BLUE BOX(1).jpg

1003 ki.jpg

10005 BLUE BOX.jpg

I've owned a couple of the systems where the blade is clamped and you get a sharpening stone on a stick where the stick gets stuck into an angle guide. 

They all fail the same. If you aren't starting with a knife that that has parallel flats on the blade in about the right place, they don't really help you get a repeatable angle. Without getting a repeatable angle they really aren't doing the one thing they are supposed to be helping with. they also all completely fail on more faceted edge designs. 

It baffles me that we keep repeating the same flawed design but with ever increasing price tags to convince people the part that doesn't work is not broken this time through. 

I've had Lansky systems and a Work Sharp machine. Both would sharpen a knife, but find sharpening by hand with a $100 1x40 Home Depot belt grinder to be faster and easier. Once you get a feel for it you can come out with anything from a utility to razor edge fast