My1stGlock

Transportation of rifles in a locked rooftop cargo box.......

Does anyone know if this is legal according to Jersey gun laws? Has anybody done this? The intention is to transport to and from my range. Any input from any law enforcement? What about interstate? Just curious as my hatchback is really tight and wanted to know what other options are there. The cargo top would be locked. 

As long as you have a FID and it's unloaded, just throw it on your passenger seat. 

Are you saying its fine to have the rifles in a rifle bag/case in the rear passenger seat area and the ammo in the trunk is GTG your interpretation of the RED portion of the paragraph below?? Would this also apply to handguns? Not being an ass just want to understand this better and see what others have done. Thanks in advance all.

State law requires that a gun "shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

You're good to go in the cargo carrier in NJ. FOPA rules for interstate travel: firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, the firearms are unloaded, and in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.

I'd probably mount something to the inside of the cargo container if you're planning on keeping something in there full-time.

https://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_AR.php

Or

http://arma15.com/products

• Like 1

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-39/2c-39-5

c.Rifles and shotguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

• Like 1

You're good to go in the cargo carrier in NJ. FOPA rules for interstate travel: firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, the firearms are unloaded, and in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.

I'd probably mount something to the inside of the cargo container if you're planning on keeping something in there full-time.

https://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_AR.php

Or

http://arma15.com/products

Nope not full time but good info to have anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

I would hope tha anyone that's considering what I am doing already has a FID[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-6 Exemptions

Section f. pertains to possession to and from a range, place of repair, etc. No need for a Firearms Purchaser ID.

• Like 1

Why do you need an FID?  It's actually called an FPID, firearms purchasers identification, and it is only required to buy.  So whoever says it's your license to transport or carry is wrong, it's your license to buy.  I never have mine with me.  

P2P and FPIDs are for purchasing.  I see people with their pink copies or photocopies of their pink copies at the range and I never understood why.  

• Like 1

FID is basically your carry license, as long as it's unloaded, applying to LONG GUNS ONLY. The part you highlighted is for handguns for everyone, and those with long guns and no FID.

I think you meant transport license but that would incorrect too.  

• Like 1

Why do you need an FID?  It's actually called an FPID, firearms purchasers identification, and it is only required to buy.  So whoever says it's your license to transport or carry is wrong, it's your license to buy.  I never have mine with me.  

P2P and FPIDs are for purchasing.  I see people with their pink copies or photocopies of their pink copies at the range and I never understood why.  

Because your FPID allows you to carry your unloaded rifle/shotgun everywhere with some exceptions like schools. You can have cartridges in your pocket and you don't have to be going anywhere in particular. 

• Like 1

c.Rifles and shotguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

THIS IS FALSE!

And it's about time we stop spreading false, incomplete details to Noobs!

If I'm a shooter from out of state going to shoot a match in NJ I don't need a NJFPID card for either long guns OR hand guns!

If I'm a Widow w/o a NJFPID card I can still transport.

If I'm named in a Will, receive a firearm from it at a lawyer's office and have NO NJFPID card I can still transport hand guns and long guns to exempt locations.

There may be other circumstances I can relate, given more time.  These are "just off the top of my head".....

• Like 1

Because your FPID allows you to carry your unloaded rifle/shotgun everywhere with some exceptions like schools. You can have cartridges in your pocket and you don't have to be going anywhere in particular.

+1000

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

THIS IS FALSE!

And it's about time we stop spreading false, incomplete details to Noobs!

If I'm a shooter from out of state going to shoot a match in NJ I don't need a NJFPID card for either long guns OR hand guns!

If I'm a Widow w/o a NJFPID card I can still transport.

If I'm named in a Will, receive a firearm from it at a lawyer's office and have NO NJFPID card I can still transport hand guns and long guns to exempt locations.

There may be other circumstances I can relate, given more time.  These are "just off the top of my head".....

In the context of the post about the FPID being a carry license it is true. As you know NJ statutes are byzantine. There are ways of transporting your long guns/handguns with no FPID as you mentioned when going to a range, etc. It would be extremely difficult to respond to every post with complete details about NJ laws. I apologize if this was confusing to anyone. Anyone interested can just google and read the statutes starting with 2c:39.

Now we're getting closer to the truths that govern transportation and possession.

Just (3) reminders:

1.  Nowhere in the laws does it say that you must have your NJFPID card ON YOUR PERSON or IN YOUR POSSESSION in order to qualify for its' EXCEPTIONS  and EXEMPTIONS granted to the "Holder".

2.  Those "cartridges" you mention better not be HOLLOW POINTS if you wanna carry them on everyday errands!  HP rounds (for hand guns OR rifles) need to be treated the same as HAND GUNS when it comes to transportation and possession.  In point of fact, Brian Aitken was charged with and convicted of possession of HP rounds in a non-exempt location WHILE MOVING between dwelling "A" and dwelling "B".  So one either has to do a mag dump to burn threw extra HP ammo if headed to a non-exempt location (other than a brief stop for food, fuel, etc.--even with the new law) or arrange some other way (or person) to transport them to an exempt location.  During an official "Move" one can also stop at the parking lot of a closed commercial (or private club's) range (law doesn't state it has to be open and accepting customers), jump-out and snap a cell phone pic (with time-stamp metadata) and then proceed to your new residence.  If those cartridges are bulk-pack .22 LR 36 grain HP that come 300+ to the pkg., they ARE HOLLOW POINTS, capable of EVIL, DEATH and DESTRUCTION, lol, and must be treated as if you have a car-load of hand guns :) .

3.  There are circumstances contained in NJ Hunting Laws which allow a (MINOR) teenager to be in possession of a LOADED long gun w/o either the owner of the firearm and/or parent or guardian being a "shadow" to said Minor (as is the case with say a 16 or 17 year old in his own tree stand).  His/Her hunting license becomes their defacto "permit to possess" while hunting in NJ.  As long as the gun is UNLOADED at all times except when actually hunting, teenagers can walk the woods, go to and from vehicles, walk along roads w/ long guns, even stop for a soda at the General Store with their O/U cracked-open over their shoulders.  So one should always remember to check for these EXEMPTIONS and EXCEPTIONS when quoting a definitive response so as to enable the readership to be more fully informed.

There exists years worth of data compiled in the form of Post-it's that's available to everyone here.  I wish it was easier to do a look-up than it is....

• Like 1

It doesn't.  Anyone can do that.  It's purchasers ID and not required to own or transport.

I think the exemption is the ability to go to/from a range, FFL, repair shop, hunting, etc, Otherwise you can't just be keeping your rifle on the front seat of your car (or anywhere except your home or business location that you own.

The FPID allows you to carry it unloaded anywhere in any manner (well almost...no schools, federal buildings, etc).

Might be a stupid question.. I can just throw my rifles in the trunk like this if I wanted too? As long as it's unloaded and has a chamber lock?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/trmaher/2014-03-23171302_zpsd8d7d56d.jpg

No chamber lock needed.

Well at least if you are staying in NJ. Going to another state has its own rules.

No chamber lock needed.

Well at least if you are staying in NJ. Going to another state has its own rules.

Oh wow, you don't need to have it in a rifle case? I thought it had to be secured in a case, didn't know you can just throw it in your trunk and leave. Bringing a brand new .22lr to GFH tomorrow and was wondering if I could just throw it in there.

There's a LGS right next door to GFH so no I won't open carry it through the premises, just to the lgs & buy a case to carry it inside. Dk if they'll freak out or not with a rifle in plain view but better to not take that chance.

Oh wow, you don't need to have it in a rifle case? I thought it had to be secured in a case, didn't know you can just throw it in your trunk and leave. Bringing a brand new .22lr to GFH tomorrow and was wondering if I could just throw it in there.

There's a LGS right next door to GFH so no I won't open carry it through the premises, just to the lgs & buy a case to carry it inside. Dk if they'll freak out or not with a rifle in plain view but better to not take that chance.

You cannot walk into the range with uncased firearms.