YankeeSC

Target practice on private property

My parents own 2 acres of wooded property, backed by hundreds of acres of wooded/mountainous unoccupied land.  What does NJ law say about having a private target range?  I know some municipalities have local laws about the discharge of firearms, and I believe their town does not (of course I will confirm that with the local PD).

My parents own 2 acres of wooded property, backed by hundreds of acres of wooded/mountainous unoccupied land.  What does NJ law say about having a private target range?  I know some municipalities have local laws about the discharge of firearms, and I believe their town does not (of course I will confirm that with the local PD).

IANAL: I don't believe the state has regulations.. Each towns local zoning regulations controls this as well as discharge and noise ordinances. They also might have rules about how close you can be to your neighbor to discharge a weapon. Checking with your local PD makes sense.

Rather than asking your PD, because the answer you get depends on who you ask, I would research it yourself by looking up the local ordinances. Can you state which municipal they live in? Many post their ordinances online.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Rather than asking your PD, because the answer you get depends on who you ask, I would research it yourself by looking up the local ordinances. Can you state which municipal they live in? Many post their ordinances online.

Paul has a good suggestion. You can find many municipalities ordinances at: http://www.codedsystems.com/codelibrary/newjersey.html

If there is no ordinance then you are good to go. You can stand on the back deck and let her rip unless you are hunting. 

I had this very question last year, here is a thread with some good info and bad jokes

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/76146-firearm-ordnance-in-my-township/?hl=%2Bupper+%2Bdeerfield

I wouldnt ask the PD either. They may tell you no just because they would rather you not. Just thoroughly read/inspect the ordinances. If you KNOW a 2a friendly PO there, then you can ask directly but i wouldnt ask just anyone. Just make sure nearby neighbors are alright with it/aware. It might be legal, but the PD can still harass you.

• Like 1

PK90 pretty much hit the nail on the head. There is another site that I use at work all the time

http://www.ecode360.com/CL1920

If you need any help navigating it then let me know. 

Cool site! I found my township though it only includes legislation adopted through 12/2013.

If we help you then you have to invite us all over to shoot

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

^^This

Great suggestion!  It's Clinton Twp: http://www.clintontwpnj.com/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=1248

Page 7 has the discussion.  Apparently there is no ordinance.

^Ok Sooooooo I'll bring ammo, when are we all having a shooting party at said house? :)

I shoot in my back yard all the time.  Completely legal if there's non local ordinance otherwise.  Of course, It's rumored that I occasionally shoot with friends on their property.  But that's a bold faced lie since NJ would put me in prison for transporting my firearms to a friends house and I always follow the law.

• Like 2

I assume this is not your place of residence?  Be careful about transport laws.  Long arm probably okay,  but handgun may have issues.

I assume this is not your place of residence?  Be careful about transport laws.  Long arm probably okay,  but handgun may have issues.

If you are a member of one of the "special" rifle and pistol clubs, then you would be OK bringing a pistol to any place of target practice. it doesn't have to be a "range".

2C:39-6. Exemptions.

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

I've had the cops show up at my house a couple times because someone complained about shooting..........the first time, when I asked the cop if someone was complaining his response was "yes, but we can't tell you to stop" - he then went on to tell me if I want to target shoot to go ahead and have at it. The second time it was a different cop who showed up and his response was "Oh you're target shooting, OK, have fun".

I live in the non NJ part of NJ.

• Agree 1

I've had the cops show up at my house a couple times because someone complained about shooting..........the first time, when I asked the cop if someone was complaining his response was "yes, but we can't tell you to stop" - he then went on to tell me if I want to target shoot to go ahead and have at it. The second time it was a different cop who showed up and his response was "Oh you're target shooting, OK, have fun".

Any chance you have an extra bedroom or two? :)

Yep up 23 and Sussex, maybe a bit of west Warren county, then south like Pine Barrens type of area is the only places you can actually target shoot on your property.

Yep up 23 and Sussex, maybe a bit of west Warren county, then south like Pine Barrens type of area is the only places you can actually target shoot on your property.

There's a narrow strip of oppression through NJ that runs from  NYC to Camden.  Everything else in NJ is pretty nice - except for the fact that we're all ruled by the people in that strip.

Hello guys,

I’m currently looking for a new property to reside in Burlington County. I would like to be able to target shoot at this property and want to be sure I’m not breaking any laws in doing so. 

So, from everything I’ve read, as long as I’m not hunting, I can be within 450 feet of another residence/building/etc. This is as long as the township does not have a no discharge ordinance. My question is this, does acreage matter? Do I have to have a 5+ acre property? Or can I shoot on something smaller such as a 1-2 acre property? This is assuming I have a safe backstop. 

Any help would be appreciated.