High Exposure

Possible IED Detonation in Chelsea section of NYC

Just came across the wire:

Manhattan *IED Explosion* W 23 St & 7th Ave. IED explosion, numerous injuries and damaged buildings. Bn-7 transmitting the 10-60 major emergency.

NYPD Level 2 deployment for emergencies.

14 injured and partial building collapse being reported. IED was believed to be in a dumpster.

Nothing further, it hasn't hit the new feeds yet...

Just came across the wire:

Manhattan *IED Explosion* W 23 St & 7th Ave. IED explosion, numerous injuries and damaged buildings. Bn-7 transmitting the 10-60 major emergency.

NYPD Level 2 deployment for emergencies.

14 injured and partial building collapse being reported. IED was believed to be in a dumpster.

Nothing further, it hasn't hit the new feeds yet...

Just saw this on Facebook group too.

I went to the ESB and was going to walk around Chelsea after, but my girlfriend was getting tired so we decided to head back to the ferry. We were walking back when the 1st device went off, but we had no idea what was going on at the time. We were about two miles away, but I saw a lot of police/ EMS activity, so I was glad we were leaving.

Sounds like they may have detonated the suspicious device (described as a pressure cooker with wires, black tape, and cell phone attached) in place on 27th.

And there was a mass stabbing in a Minnesota mall.

WTF is this world coming to? :(

Reporting 8 people stabbed in MN by a man yelling "Allah".

WTF? I got up and got ready to go to the stadium, park and then start reading this. I thought only guns were evil not people?

Horrible if anyone lost their life other than the terrorist.

29 injured in NYC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/09/17/us/new-york-explosion/index.html?client=safari

For what it's worth... I've been watching press coverage of these events (NY, NJ, MN), and I find DeBlasio's comments about the NY event to be particularly striking. He has this compulsive avoidance of the word "terror". I mean, of course it's too early to determine cause - or even the responsible party - but for goodness sakes, if someone plants and detonates explosive device(s) on a busy city street packed with civilians: that's an act of terror! We shouldn't be afraid to call it what it is. Even some of the experts on CNN seem to be rolling their eyes over that his apparent attempt to re-cast this event as something less than it is. Unreal.

• Like 1

Well, CNN is reporting that officials have the bomber on video at both NYC locations - so I would say that's a terrific development. I wonder if they'll be releasing pictures of him? Unless they know who he is already? Either way, I hope he's nabbed quickly.

I can't get that site, can you post text?

Emergency responders are in the area of North Broad and Westfield Avenue for reports of a suspicious item found according to reports.

The device is being reported as a possible pipe bomb but has not been confirmed at this time.

Police are evacuating and securing the area around the Northeast Corridor train line as service has been temporarily suspended in both directions.

UPDATE 9:29 p.m. Police are searching the train tracks near West Grand Street.
UPDATE 9:55 p.m. Hazmat has been requested to the scene.
UPDATE 10:25 p.m. Area businesses have been reportedly ordered to shut down and evacuate the area as bomb technicians have a robot operating at this time.

Developing
  • Like 1

CBSlocal is saying:

Several people are in custody after the FBI made a car stop near the Verrazano Bridge; NY state senator says it may be 'possibly' connected to Chelsea bombing - CBS New York

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/09/18/fbi-belt-parkway-car-stop/

Police have raided two addressed in Elizabeth. Unofficial rumors that a "Terror Cell" that operated in the NY/NJ area has now been uncovered are circulating as well.

I am skeptical of a "cell". Pretty poor results for a group of professional bad guys.

Bottom line - Pay attention to your surroundings, if you see something strange report it. The world has changed again. Vigilance not paranoia is required.

• Like 2