Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJM981

Holster for PPQ

Can anyone recommend a holster for a PPQ that is suitable to use in IDPA and possibly USPSA? I have a Serpa, which I know is a liability. Safariland appears to make a quality product, but I'm unsure of which model to use. I've read here recommendations for the ALS, but I'm lost past that. There is Level I or III, open top, low mid or high rise, concealment or duty. Lots of options and just as many questions.

I've recently done quite a bit of research on this topic and just yesterday I placed an order for the Safariland Model 5198:

http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/paddle/model-5198-open-top-concealment-paddle-belt-loop-holster-with-detent-30575.html

My understanding is that for general IDPA and USPSA matches, level I retention is sufficient because during a stage you're basically taking the pistol out of the holster one time and you're not running around with it. The 5198 fits the bill here. Multi-gun or 3-gun events is where you would want level II retention because you will be moving around with your pistol in the holster.  The Safariland 7378 seems like a good choice where there is more movement involved.

Safariland is currently running promo code SEPTEMBER30 which will give you 30% off your entire order.  Saved me quite a bit!

PM me and I will be happy to share my research in detail with you.

Blade Tech Classic OWB. For IDPA the front strap must be fully above the top of the belt. A drop/offset would be allowed for USPSA (but not IDPA) - but muscle memory and a more consistent draw would be accomplished by having the holster in the same position for both disciplines.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have been using Safariland ALS level I in IDPA for years. The retention is fine for USPSA as well. The main advantage to me is that once the button has been pressed there is zero friction when drawing the pistol. The down side is the front of the holster is much higher than other designs so your draw stroke is longer and had to come higher to clear the holster.

I tried one for a 1911 and didn't like it. The button was set too far to the left to make room for the manual safety and the economics just didn't work for me. I got a Bladetech for my 1911 after that.

This year I discovered the Safariland GLS holsters. There are just a few holsters that fit multiple guns. They have some retention but are not classified as level I as far as LEO goes. I have one holster that fits my Glock 35, my 1911 and my CZ75B. The button to deactivate the lock is pressed by the top of your middle finger as you take a grip on your gun and then there is the same zero friction draw as an ALS. The front of the holster is cut to the bottom of the ejection port on the Glock so the long draw is no longer necessary.

One disadvantage of the GLS I have found is that people with slender fingers find it harder to reliably deactivate the lock. I have had no issues myself.