danw77

Ruger Mark IV

Check this out: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/22/ruger-introduces-one-button-takedown-mark-iv-pistol/

rugermkiv_6.jpg?preset=article

https://youtu.be/MqbiyPMA7CE

I imagine this is going to sell very well. Curious if anyone has seen one in person yet.

• Like 1

Yep, Ruger hit it out of the park with this one.

The MK II with some trigger work was always my favorite 22lr semi pistol.

I always considered it the best and most accurate.  I have a MK I too and never liked the MK III.

Now if I can MK IV with threaded barrel I'm in....

Mark IV is clearly aiming at the "ease of takedown" that the SW Victory came out with.  Mark IV looks like a nice pistol, but the price point compared to the Victory (which is an excellent target style 22 itself) leaves a little to be desired.  Its cheapest configuration is $150+ more than the Victory.  (And the frame is aluminum with that one..  move up to stainless steel and its another $160..  and move up to the hunter model and add another $80)..  

that said, im sure they will sell a lot of them because there are tons of Ruger Mark series loyalists, and this is the next step.. 

Never had an issue with the MK III, but this will definitely win over the nay sayers, and those who are lazy.

Looks a little pricey though, much more then the MK III models. I'm also curious about the tolerances of the upper and lower, I typically need a rubber mallet to separate mine.

Never found cleaning my Ruger MKs to be an issue. To me, this is a fix for something that ain't broke.

Ain't that the truth.  I have a Mark II Government since the 80's.  Never had a problem with takedown or cleaning. Granted the Mark III mixed improvements with screw ups, the Mark IV seems to have corrected that.  Ruger has high markups so the street price will be much lower. Still some nice improvements if you never had one.

Ain't that the truth.  I have a Mark II Government since the 80's.  Never had a problem with takedown or cleaning. Granted the Mark III mixed improvements with screw ups, the Mark IV seems to have corrected that.  Ruger has high markups so the street price will be much lower. Still some nice improvements if you never had one.

I have a Mark III and if I knew about the issues I had I never would have bought it. That being said I have basically replaced the insides with Volquartsen parts (so it is more like a Mark II in some ways) and now I love the gun. A very expensive .22 by the time I got finished. If the mark IV fixes the issues then it might be a great gun.

I have a Mark III and if I knew about the issues I had I never would have bought it. That being said I have basically replaced the insides with Volquartsen parts (so it is more like a Mark II in some ways) and now I love the gun. A very expensive .22 by the time I got finished. If the mark IV fixes the issues then it might be a great gun.

What are the "issues" you had?

Hey I am not trying to say the gun is not on the whole great. My experience was not. A sample of one is not a statistic and can't be used to condemn the gun.

It had consistent failure to feed, failure to eject, and jams. In the end I was only using good ammo (CCI plated round nose).

I read posts about grinding down the lips of the magazines to round them. I removed the magazine disconnect. I tried everything.

The Volquartsen parts are amazing. The trigger is really smooth and light (around 2 pounds). The original bolt would sometimes cut my fingers but the extended handle is super. Take down was a pain but now is a little better (I don't need to use the magazine but I still need the mallet).

I had the expectation that all firearms from major manufacturers would be as reliable as a Glock (OK there I said it). Don't get me wrong but I am sure many people are happy with their Mark III's, just not me. And now that mine is working well I do plan on keeping it. I have not had ANY issues with in the many hundreds of rounds I have shot.

Hey I am not trying to say the gun is not on the whole great. My experience was not. A sample of one is not a statistic and can't be used to condemn the gun.

It had consistent failure to feed, failure to eject, and jams. In the end I was only using good ammo (CCI plated round nose).

I read posts about grinding down the lips of the magazines to round them. I removed the magazine disconnect. I tried everything.

The Volquartsen parts are amazing. The trigger is really smooth and light (around 2 pounds). The original bolt would sometimes cut my fingers but the extended handle is super. Take down was a pain but now is a little better (I don't need to use the magazine but I still need the mallet).

I had the expectation that all firearms from major manufacturers would be as reliable as a Glock (OK there I said it). Don't get me wrong but I am sure many people are happy with their Mark III's, just not me. And now that mine is working well I do plan on keeping it. I have not had ANY issues with in the many hundreds of rounds I have shot.

Sorry you had so much trouble with it. Ruger CS is great though and I'm sure they would have taken care of it for you. The way you referred to the MKIV possibly fixing the issues you had made it sound like you felt there was something inherently wrong with the design that needed fixing.

As you said , any individual gun can have issues. Although Glocks are reliable they aren't very accurate. You really can't fairly compare a combat gun to a target gun.

That said, the only issue I ever had with my most used MK was the trigger. I use the gun for Standard Pistol Matches and did my own trigger job when I first got it. It was perfect for 7-8,000 rounds and then I started having issues. After some trouble shooting I replaced the sear and all was well. Gun probably has a little over 10,000 rounds through it and is as accurate as anything else I see on the the firing line.

issues that ruger mark 3 had. did these to mine and problems fixed becomes a dream to shoot.

1. failure to eject,  install volquartsen exact edge extractor.

2. mags wont drop.   do the mag safety delete  install hammer bushing.

Anyone have any feelings about the accuracy of the IV lite with the shorter thin barrel? I had a bull barrel 15 years ago and I liked it at 25 yards+ and it was spot on, always my shooting that differed. I see this new lite has a shorter 4.5" barrel and its super thin. Now I'm not a great shooter but from the videos, I don't think its as accurate as the bull barrel or fluted 6" hunting barrel. (of course all the other features of the IV are fantastic). So do I got with the cool lite because its cool, or the full heavy barrels to shoot better?

Edited by TRM9999
Wording..

For me, I shoot MUCH better with a heavier pistol(ie bull barrel).  For example, I shoot my High Standard Sharpshooter(circa 1974) with it's bull barrel much better than my much newer M&P 22.  Makes for a much more satisfying range session. 

• Like 1

Really about time that ruger gets the takedown figured out.

SW was by far the easiest with the 22A (predecessor to the victory).... one button on the front and voila.

Buckmark was always good too, variety of styles and just the one screw.

Finally Ruger gets it done.

They are nice guns, just not sure how to justify $500... whereas you can get 2 smiths for that price.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:02 PM, oldguysrule649 said:

For me, I shoot MUCH better with a heavier pistol(ie bull barrel).  For example, I shoot my High Standard Sharpshooter(circa 1974) with it's bull barrel much better than my much newer M&P 22.  Makes for a much more satisfying range session. 

Haven't had the Mark IV with the long barrel in my hand yet, but I did get a chance to pick up the long barrel Buckmark and it didn't feel balanced in my hand. I think I may be happy with the 5.5 inch bull barrel choice I used to have.

I also saw a Buck Lite with the steel barrel insert set into the aluminum bull barrel but I wasn't sure of the point of this, as it seems the real barrel is only the skinny steel insert and rest doesn't have function.

Also with all the talk and looking at the S&W and expensive Mark IV models, I noted the basic buck is only $350.

From an email from Ruger....

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.

Firearms NOT subject to the Recall

Newly manufactured Mark IV™ pistols will begin with serial number "500." Thus, if you have a Mark IV™ or 22/45™ pistol with a serial number beginning with the number "5," your pistol is not subject to the recall.

Woohoo!! Free Mag!!

1. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a "thank you" for your participation and cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).

Really about time that ruger gets the takedown figured out.
SW was by far the easiest with the 22A (predecessor to the victory).... one button on the front and voila.
Buckmark was always good too, variety of styles and just the one screw.
Finally Ruger gets it done.
They are nice guns, just not sure how to justify $500... whereas you can get 2 smiths for that price.

I really never understood why people have such issues breaking down the Mark pistols. I can literally do it with my eyes closed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I went to the local shop just the other day looking at the buck and then the S&W. The S&W was really good for the price. 

Then I realized I haven't been seeing the Mark IVs. They said they sent them back for the recall. So, none in the shop right now. Lets just hope its a quick permanent fix and no other issues.

The full skinny on the recall:

All Mark IV™ pistols produced prior to June 1, 2017 are potentially affected and therefore are being recalled. This includes Mark IV™ Target, Hunter, Competition, 22/45™, 22/45™ Lite and 22/45™ Tactical models. These models bear serial numbers beginning with "401" (2017 models) or "WBR" (2016 models).

Firearms NOT subject to the Recall

Newly manufactured Mark IV™ pistols will begin with serial number "500." Thus, if you have a Mark IV™ or 22/45™ pistol with a serial number beginning with the number "5," your pistol is not subject to the recall.

Firearms That Have Been Retrofitted Already

Finding Retrofit Marking Mark IV™ and 22/45™ pistols retrofitted with the updated safety mechanism are easily identified by the letter "S" in the white safety dot that is visible when the safety is engaged.

Alas, my S.# begins with WBR and there's no "S" within the safety dot.

I'm going to send mine in, reluctantly. Shot about 300 rounds through it last week without a single hiccup. So accurate at 17 yards I brought home a couple of targets to show my wife.

The one-button takedown is awesome. No more looking for the right allen wrench. Perfect gun IMO. 

Anyone want to buy a well-maintained Buckmark?