Not sure if this is the right section, but I'll have a go at it anyway. So I've never bought a brand new gun. In the years that I've owned firearms, I've bought every single one used and am looking to buy my first few brand new ones. So I get the whole buy online -> ship to FFL -> pay transfer fee/do NICS check -> get gun, but I'm confused about paying taxes on it. If I order online and the gun comes from out of state, will I still have to pay NJ a tax on the cost of the gun? I've tried to look it up online and I've gotten mixed answers.

In New Jersey use tax is a tax on the use of items or services that occurs when sales tax has not been paid on NJ taxable items or services, or paid at a rate less than the New Jersey rate of 7%. Use tax is due when these items are purchased outside of New Jersey and brought into New Jersey.  Only the difference is owed when the use tax of the state of purchase is less than 7%. Nothing if it was more than that.

To pay, declared on NJ Income Tax forms (NJ 1040, or ST-18).

I was advised in a business accounting course (actually paid for by the state) that if you have not paid use tax never enter a zero on your tax return, just leave the field blank.  If you put a zero and they go through credit card records they can bring you up on tax fraud charges as you declared zero, if you leave it blank you can just claim oops I forgot about that item.