Shawnmoore81

New gaming systems coming out

I just bought the Xbox One last year so I am going to keep that until the Scorpio. I'd rather spend my money on a sub2000 gen 2 than a one S.

I'll likely get an NX because Nintendo IPs are like drugs to me lol

Never been a fan of the Playstation myself.

Games on PC are much better.

maxresdefault.jpg

This. I built a gaming PC eight years ago with a quad core CPU and 8800GT video card. Over the eight years that I used it, I upgraded the RAM once (went from 4GB to 8GB) and the video card once (GTX 660 Ti). It played everything I wanted to play without issue. I then built a new machine for about $1200 with a six-core CPU and 980 Ti video card. Here's to another eight years of full 1080p 60fps glory :D

This. I built a gaming PC eight years ago with a quad core CPU and 8800GT video card. Over the eight years that I used it, I upgraded the RAM once (went from 4GB to 8GB) and the video card once (GTX 660 Ti). It played everything I wanted to play without issue. I then built a new machine for about $1200 with a six-core CPU and 980 Ti video card. Here's to another eight years of full 1080p 60fps glory :D

While your not wrong, acknowledge that dropping $1200 for a gaming PC is a tad different than $3-400 for Xbox or PS4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While your not wrong, acknowledge that dropping $1200 for a gaming PC is a tad different than $3-400 for Xbox or PS4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure but over the service life of the machine, there will be two or more generations of consoles produced each to the tune of $300-600 depending on purchase date relative to release date. Plus I can use the machine for so much more than just gaming. So there's maybe a $400 premium?

Pc guys can't keep it in their pants

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

It just blows my mind people waste money on consoles, they even made them to be just like PC's with all the stupid crap they come loaded with.. but.... your stuck with it, with very little to upgrade. A console is a PC by todays standards, your just stuck with a "locked" piece of hardware. In the end, when you buy a console, you get an outdated cpu and gpu that wasn't even all that great to start...

I haven't looked at the newer versions, but it's worth noting that its probably not something you need to buy if you own a previous gen. Even the xbox360 when updated was basically the same thing with some issues ironed out, and the ps3 just got smaller. If you have one, save your money for a worthwile upgrade.... with PC capable VR im just waiting for something to corner the market.

Which case did you go with? For the CPU cooling, air or liquid?

Re-used my Lian Li mid-tower from 2000-era.  I'm air-cooled but the Noctua I'm using performs on par with most entry level water cooling kits.  I did the more extreme cooling thing including water and phase change back in my college days and am thoroughly burned out on it :rofl:

Ok, I get it… For many people, video games are a way to break free from the mundane aspects of everyday life.  I will take the contrarian point of view in this thread by admitting that video games are not for me since I have little tolerance for this form or type of escapist fantasy and think they are a complete waste of time and money.  I am not condemning any of you for enjoying them, but for me, playing video games does little to contribute to my life goals and they do not justify their existence by making the player a better person, not just a better player.  Our choices for entertainment are subjective and personal.  I would rather go to a gun range or sporting clay course to shoot, than play video games. 

For many years I have wondered w
hy do people like video games and why would someone spend hours playing a game instead of doing anything else?  I understand that human behavior can manifest itself with people playing video games for different reasons or motives.  After speaking to many friends who do play and enjoy video games here are their and my discussed most common reasons that attract people, especially men, to video games:

1.  Mirror Neurons:  Our brains contain nerve cells that are called mirror neurons. Those cells allow us to put ourselves in someone's shoes, attempting to experience their same emotions.  When we play a video game we experience the same emotions as the imaginary Hero we are controlling.

2.  Boosting Self Esteem:  Most games contain certain puzzles that give people a self esteem boost when they solve them. These games make people feel good about themselves as they master them. Defeating other human players may make one feel superior to others and elevate one’s self esteem.

3.  Stress relief: Life is full of stressful events.  Video games can be a temporary escape to another world for few hours. Yet, that experience can be draining enough to allow people to live in a virtual world for sometime while forgetting about everything else going on in the real world. (I prefer to either watch a movie or read a good book to achieve this….).

4.  Dopamine rush: Dopamine is the chemical in our brain’s responsible for the excitement we feel when we chase a reward. Many people get addicted to the amounts of dopamine video games allow them to experience.

5.  Running away: Some people get addicted to video games just because they are too afraid to face the real world. A lonesome person may become indulged in video games just because they are unable to face the fact that they can't socialize other people. Many people use video games to run away from the mess in their real lives in a form of self-deception.

6.  Regaining control: Many people who feel that they lost control over their lives seek other areas where they can regain and maintain some form of control.  Because a video game environment is highly controllable a person who seeks to regain some of that lost control can easily become a video game addict.

7.  Redemption: When people fail to live up to their dreams they might escape to a fantasy world where they can get another chance to fulfill them. Someone who has fantasized about wanting to be a hero but failed to do it in reality can find a great relief in video games since they allow them to possibly fulfill their dream.

To be fair and keeping this in its proper perspective, I probably spend as much time pursuing my interest in automobiles as some of you may spend playing video games.  We all have choices on what we do for entertainment and live in a country where we are allowed to exercise them and can afford to indulge in them.  So to all of you who are video gamers, have at it and have fun.....

AVB-AMG