Shawnmoore81

New gaming systems coming out

For many years I have wondered why do people like video games and why would someone spend hours playing a game instead of doing anything else?

AVB-AMG

Interesting points, however everything you said can also easily apply to:

- playing fantasy sports

- spending a fortune on going to overpriced sporting events to sit on a crappy bench to watch millionaires play a meaningless game

- engage in trying to change NJ liberal politics

- wasting time on old cars even though they are bad for the environment and lack safety features

- going to public school being brainwashed by common core

- sit on sticky chairs with sticky floors for 2 hours to watch fake people in a fake scripted scenario on a 25 foot screen, while being sneezed on by the sick people around you, with your money supporting a small group of extreme elites who want to remake the world in their image

- getting into shooting sports in a state where you are labeled a criminal

:)

On 10/1/2016 at 12:24 PM, SW9racer said:

Interesting points, however everything you said can also easily apply to:

- playing fantasy sports

- spending a fortune on going to overpriced sporting events to sit on a crappy bench to watch millionaires play a meaningless game

- engage in trying to change NJ liberal politics

- wasting time on old cars even though they are bad for the environment and lack safety features

- going to public school being brainwashed by common core

- sit on sticky chairs with sticky floors for 2 hours to watch fake people in a fake scripted scenario on a 25 foot screen, while being sneezed on by the sick people around you, with your money supporting a small group of extreme elites who want to remake the world in their image

- getting into shooting sports in a state where you are labeled a criminal

:)

SW9racer:

I agree with you on most of your points, except for your dismissal of public schools.

Also, I admit to spending way more money on automobiles than most normal people would ever consider reasonable or rational.

Thankfully, after getting "the look" from friends and acquaintances when I tell them I enjoy gun shooting sports, I explain it in more detail and they seem to understand and appreciate the appeal and most do even more so if they take up my invitation to be my guest at a range and try shooting for themselves.

Otherwise, we agree..... 

AVB-AMG

Ok, I get it… For many people, video games are a way to break free from the mundane aspects of everyday life.  I will take the contrarian point of view in this thread by admitting that video games are not for me since I have little tolerance for this form or type of escapist fantasy and think they are a complete waste of time and money.  I am not condemning any of you for enjoying them, but for me, playing video games does little to contribute to my life goals and they do not justify their existence by making the player a better person, not just a better player.  Our choices for entertainment are subjective and personal.  I would rather go to a gun range or sporting clay course to shoot, than play video games. 

For many years I have wondered why do people like video games and why would someone spend hours playing a game instead of doing anything else?  I understand that human behavior can manifest itself with people playing video games for different reasons or motives.  After speaking to many friends who do play and enjoy video games here are their and my discussed most common reasons that attract people, especially men, to video games:

1.  Mirror Neurons:  Our brains contain nerve cells that are called mirror neurons. Those cells allow us to put ourselves in someone's shoes, attempting to experience their same emotions.  When we play a video game we experience the same emotions as the imaginary Hero we are controlling.

2.  Boosting Self Esteem:  Most games contain certain puzzles that give people a self esteem boost when they solve them. These games make people feel good about themselves as they master them. Defeating other human players may make one feel superior to others and elevate one’s self esteem.

3.  Stress relief: Life is full of stressful events.  Video games can be a temporary escape to another world for few hours. Yet, that experience can be draining enough to allow people to live in a virtual world for sometime while forgetting about everything else going on in the real world. (I prefer to either watch a movie or read a good book to achieve this….).

4.  Dopamine rush: Dopamine is the chemical in our brain’s responsible for the excitement we feel when we chase a reward. Many people get addicted to the amounts of dopamine video games allow them to experience.

5.  Running away: Some people get addicted to video games just because they are too afraid to face the real world. A lonesome person may become indulged in video games just because they are unable to face the fact that they can't socialize other people. Many people use video games to run away from the mess in their real lives in a form of self-deception.

6.  Regaining control: Many people who feel that they lost control over their lives seek other areas where they can regain and maintain some form of control.  Because a video game environment is highly controllable a person who seeks to regain some of that lost control can easily become a video game addict.

7.  Redemption: When people fail to live up to their dreams they might escape to a fantasy world where they can get another chance to fulfill them. Someone who has fantasized about wanting to be a hero but failed to do it in reality can find a great relief in video games since they allow them to possibly fulfill their dream.

To be fair and keeping this in its proper perspective, I probably spend as much time pursuing my interest in automobiles as some of you may spend playing video games.  We all have choices on what we do for entertainment and live in a country where we are allowed to exercise them and can afford to indulge in them.  So to all of you who are video gamers, have at it and have fun.....

AVB-AMG

Why did you even waste your time writing this in a thread about console updates that turned into a PC war?

Games on PC are much better.

Seeing as how a console costs as much as a decent graphics card, hardly anything to brag about.

PC gamers are jackasses for building a 3500 PC to get slightly better graphics than a console.

I strictly game on PC, (I just can't get the hang of those controllers, and I mod every game I play), but my sons do have Xbox and PS4. As I have at least one of everything, each platform has its strengths and weaknesses. It depends on the genre and gaming style of the player. I am glad they all exist as it keeps the level of capability projection going upwards.

For $3500, you are looking at a multi-monitor 4k resolution gaming PC with graphics that make the current gen consoles look like Mario Kart. Don't spend this on an overpriced Dell or Alienware. If you do not have the time to build it yourself, there are many "boutique" custom PC web stores that offer great service and builds for much less.

On 10/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, JackDaWack said:

Why did you even waste your time writing this in a thread about console updates that turned into a PC war?

JackDaWack:

With over 4861 posts on NJGF, it is quite apparent that you are willing to waste your time writing posts on all sorts of shit.... and usually have nothing of any real importance or intelligence to contribute.

JackDaWack:

With over 4861 posts on NJGF, ii is quite apparent that you are willing to waste your time writing posts on all sorts of shit.... and usually have noting of any importance or intelligence to contribute. 

Now, AVB... you've been decent to me personally, so I'm not looking for an argument. Nonetheless... I want to say: yikes, what were you thinking?! I mean, I don't like computer games either, In fact, I don't get the fascination at all. So what? I'm sure people would find some of my interests (antique jewelry anyone?) to be mind-numbingly dull. Fine. C'est la vie! Each to their own.

But, instead of reading this thread and just shaking your head and thinking, "OK, I'm really not into that" and moving on to another thread - you, instead, spent the time to write an incredibly insulting reply describing how these folks are in some manner ... hero-worshipping, low self-esteem, lonely, frightened, dopamine-addicted, out-of-control L-O-S-E-R-S. What a thoroughly unkind (and completely unfair) description! When you spend several paragraphs insulting people, and then shoot in a perky little line that says, but, hey...  have fun - you can EXPECT someone will call you on it... and you should not get miffed when they do. Come'on now! 

I may not agree with much in your political posts, but I've always appreciated that if you believe a candidate is bad for the country, it's your right to speak up. Believe me, if someone writes something that I feel is damaging or offensive to something I believe in... or damaging to this "community" in some way, I will (verbally) brawl with the best of them. But, that's about values. This thread was about a hobby... how is someone playing a computer game a threat to you? Geez louise, why jump in with insults? You seem to be an intelligent person - you might want to re-read your post and reconsider.

JackDaWack:

With over 4861 posts on NJGF, ii is quite apparent that you are willing to waste your time writing posts on all sorts of shit.... and usually have noting of any importance or intelligence to contribute. 

45% of my posts are questions about firearms, 45% of my posts are answering questions about firearms, and 10% is probably a mixture of leisure and politics.  In many instances its simple educational conversation. You probably think i don't have anything of importance or intellectual value because you don't participate in any of the parts of this forum to which is its purpose. I don't see you in the hunting forum, ammunition forum, rifle or pistol discussions, general firearm discussion, optics and gear, or anywhere really that has anything to do with firearms.

95% of your posts are politics and the 5% that isn't, aren't even on topic. FYI, when i started coming to this forum, discussions of political nature weren't even allowed.. You wouldn't even be here today if it was the same forum back in 2010.

If your going to attack MY activity on this forum, your generally pissing on every member here.... For someone who doesnt know anything about "gaming" i'm not sure how you could even determine what level of quality my statements carry.

It might be a novel idea to you, but people invest a lot of time here learning and teaching about firearms. Your just the type of person who has to make sure people hear your opinions, which is apparent when someone asked a simple question about updating their gaming console where your response is basically: i have better things to do, but let me not seem to much like a dick so i will post some of the benefits people tell me about. If you don't enjoy gaming, good for you, other people do and they don't need to justify anything. Where as my opinion was some perspective into PC's and the general decrease in benefit of owning a console today. Even when im not talking about firearms here, its still an effort to participate in conversation with people trying to have a conversation about the topic. 

People read books for the same stimulation it offers the imagination and creativity of an individual.... ANY activity is a break from mundane life of which is not part of your mundane life. What does it matter to you what people do to get relief or cope with what amounts to boring life activities. 

Mrs. Peel:

I re-read my post and I still believe what I said and do not consider these descriptive assumptions to be unfair. My guess is that all of them do not apply to every Gamer, but I can appreciate how some people may be offended. Therefore, to all you Gamers out there I offer my apology....

AVB-AMG

Guys I just got gta5.... who knows the best way to shoot a hooker in real life?? Asking for a friend

Seriously get over yourself. It's no worse then watching people pay a game on tv. Instead of just rooting for your team maybe you go out and get madden and become your team.

AVB wants to make fun of Jack for having a ton of posts but I bet my heard earned Internet dollars that he has typed out just as many characters in his 500 as Jack has done in his 4000. I need cliff notes for his posts

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

If it's true that XBox has new system coming out at end of next year why buy a XBox1 now?

I played Destiny for about five hours yesterday. Wasn't feeling great and became determined to beat level that I couldn't get past. Family was out for the day and I wasn't up to doing much. Guess I'm a horrible human being.....

I enjoy video games for several reasons. Play them with my kids, helps keep my reflexs tiger like and it's enjoyable. Sometimes months will go by and I won't touch one. No different than any other hobby.

AVB-AMG prob just isn't any good at video games and is jelous of others abilities.

AVB wants to make fun of Jack for having a ton of posts but I bet my heard earned Internet dollars that he has typed out just as many characters in his 500 as Jack has done in his 4000. I need cliff notes for his.

Ha, that is pretty funny and probably true....

AVB-AMG

gleninjersey:

AVB-AMG prob just isn't any good at video games and is jelous of others abilities.

This will date me, but I was pretty darn good playing Pong, Tank and PAC MAN, back in the day, (70's & 80's). The few times I have played more contemporary video games with my nephews, they slaughtered me thoroughly, so you are correct....I am not very good.

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teraflops, all the rage. Early tech specs are pointing to Project Scorpio (Microsoft) being "better" than PS4 Pro, but one has to consider the licensing/exclusives and community as well. One advantage to Microsoft games now and moving forward is that if you purchase them for Xbox or PC, you get them for both. Do I need multiple copies of one game? Nah, but its cool (and the saves are cross-platform). In the end, I am a PC guy though, not because I am an elitist, but because I prefer a mouse and keyboard, and its where my friends game.

I have n64 and golden eye in my bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that game, me and my brother had some EPIC battles....oh the memories.

I still have an original Nintendo NES with about 40 games for it, as well as an Atari 2600 with assorted games, I'm looking to add a N64 to the mix.  

• Like 1