SmittyMHS

Efingers closing.

Just got their email.Been buying stuff there since the early 60's. Truthfully I don't know how they lasted this long what with all the big box stores and the internet. Firearm prices weren't all that out of line but some of their other stuff was out there!

Shame really...

Just got their email.Been buying stuff there since the early 60's. Truthfully I don't know how they lasted this long what with all the big box stores and the internet. Firearm prices weren't all that out of line but some of their other stuff was out there!

Shame really...

I got my first shotgun from them 21 years ago, I think the store was allot better back then. Once I compared their other prices to other local shops I didn't go back much. Only been there once or twice since the remodel and their prices were way out of line on all of their fishing gear. It is a shame to see another mom N pop shop close but they did it to themselves.

I grew up 5 minutes from there and the place has been a real neighborhood institution. Yeah, true enough, they were pricey... but to echo fishnut, I do hate to see the Mom & Pop businesses close. I have fond childhood memories of my family buying all of our camping equipment there... yikes, now I'm feeling all sentimental! :cray: 

I bought my first pistol there back in the late 80's. A Browning Buckmark .22 lr. Sometimes I still wish I had that gun

My first handgun is a H&K P7 PSP. I could sell it for 7x what I paid for it...I still would never sell a gun. I guess maybe it would be different if I had like 10 different 10/22's or some shit, but even then IDK.

Ray's on 22 a few years ago as well. 

Effingers always sucked, their prices were insane.   I'm sure they decided they can make more money renting that building out - they own it.   

Isn't the building next door that used to be the golf place empty? 

I bet the property taxes are insane...

Isn't the building next door that used to be the golf place empty?

I bet the property taxes are insane...

Yepp. It closed and then was a farmers market which I believe also is closed

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

first, we don't know the story as to why they're closing.

second, my only "issues" with efingers ever was they never seemed to have a decent supply of ammo in stock. I'd roll in and buy 4 cases of clays, but only once ever got shells, as they never had them. The gun counter guys, were gun counter guys; a little more approachable than Heritage Guild at least.

Saw they were closing, I have bought a pistol there in the past and price was fair, wasn't a great price but was within my limit....

What did they have in stock for ammo and or accessories?

Might take a ride over today with my daughter(before nap time) and wanted to know if they had anything decent to even look at....

(And hopefully she'll fall asleep in the car on the way back)

It's amazing the temperament that is seen here. So many love a LGS because they save a few bucks - remember not too long ago ducks decided not to sell ar type rifles?

Ypu love an LGS - what happen when the corporate controlled LGS doesn't sell what ypu want anymore but the local mom n pop did, BUT it was 50 bucks more.....

Those that think it's funny that a gun shop closes in *THIS* state, is very foolish, imo

I'd pay 50 bucks more to support any good local gun shop. The problem with effingers is it wasn't 50 bucks more, it was 150 bucks more. Hell with the discounts I would not be surprised if their prices are now comparable to other local sporting good stores.

Forget guns, their prices on the rest of the sporting goods inventory were not competitive after they built the new building. It was cheaper to to drive to Hamburg, PA and pay Cabela's prices than buy just about any hunting supplies. When my kids were young, they had competitive prices and good inventory for lots of stuff like basketball hoop, soccer balls, etc. But I stopped going there after the new "destination" store opened (tried the gun counter a couple of times and found that ammo was too hard to come by to make it a regular stop.)

Efinger's tried to go upscale to complete with the national chains, but frankly, even they are not making it anymore (Sports Authority in Flemington is now the 2016 Halloween Shop..... case closed.)

In the end, I think there will be Amazon and small specialty store-front shops that cater to specific sports segments like Soccer, Guns, Archery, Hockey etc where customer service and subject matter expertise are valued enough to pay a premium.  There is no middle market for a biggish, general purpose sporting goods store anymore, they are a casualty of internet commerce and the family knows that. I believe that is how to read the news article and their statements about market conditions.

Note they are keeping their school sports apparel business. That is a competitive niche that they won't get eaten by Amazon and overnight (almost) delivery.  It requires more custom work and long-term relationships that can be durable and have additional margin.

So long-story short, support your local sporting goods shop that caters to people who value skills and knowledge in the games you love, especially guns, and don't fret a few bucks if you get good service.

Goodwill...what a scam, or great business model. They get free merchandise to sell, hire minimum wage workers, get tax breaks, and advertise that your donations are helping the needy. All while the locals buy their products for dirt cheap and sell on ebay for 10 times what they paid while lining the pockets of the corporate owners.

Its sad that Efingers is closing, the guys in there were cool...esp the gun dept. They were former Rays Sport Shop employees. The place was a zoo over this past weekend, I couldn't even get in there. I figured 5% off on ammo is better than most placed. But I'm sure they sold everything they had ammo-wise on Saturday...