Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Citizens police academy in your town?

Kidding aside, my town does not offer the program. From the description I found on the Bergen County Sheriff's Office I would be interested if my town decided to offer it:

"The Citizens Police Academy is designed to give the public a working knowledge and understanding of the values, goals, objectives and operations of our organization. This comprehensive instruction covers different areas routinely addressed by law enforcement. Classes are formulated to incorporate an interactive format, providing participants with a “hands-on” experience whenever practical.  Additionally, citizens bring a wealth of knowledge about their community and particularly the problems in their neighborhoods. In this way, officers learn firsthand the concerns of its citizens by interacting with them in a positive, non-confrontational manner."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkY3_hIdCQ

Kidding aside, my town does not offer the program. From the description I found on the Bergen County Sheriff's Office I would be interested if my town decided to offer it:

"The Citizens Police Academy is designed to give the public a working knowledge and understanding of the values, goals, objectives and operations of our organization. This comprehensive instruction covers different areas routinely addressed by law enforcement. Classes are formulated to incorporate an interactive format, providing participants with a “hands-on” experience whenever practical. Additionally, citizens bring a wealth of knowledge about their community and particularly the problems in their neighborhoods. In this way, officers learn firsthand the concerns of its citizens by interacting with them in a positive, non-confrontational manner."

Call " call" them up bud. Ask them to offer.

My town (Hawthorne) offers it and I participated two years ago. It was fun and a great glimpse into what our officers actually deal with daily.

There some fun nights as well - building searches, driving cop car and conducting a simulated traffic stop and of course range day!!

My town (Hawthorne) offers it and I participated two years ago. It was fun and a great glimpse into what our officers actually deal with daily.

There some fun nights as well - building searches, driving cop car and conducting a simulated traffic stop and of course range day!!

We have 5 more weeks of Tuesday's. We are looking forward to the " shoot/ no shoot " simulator. And the ride along

My local PD here in Ohio offers a CPA. Of course I missed both the deadly force night and the range night because I was traveling for work. Mine is a 10 week class and it's been awesome so far. Learning how to lift fingerprints was particularly entertaining.

My local PD here in Ohio offers a CPA. Of course I missed both the deadly force night and the range night because I was traveling for work. Mine is a 10 week class and it's been awesome so far. Learning how to lift fingerprints was particularly entertaining.

Where in Ohio? I lived in Toledo for a spell

Columbus seems to be hit or miss with drivers. Some are really great but even some of the Ohio drivers complain about some of the aholes here. The ones with issues are ludicrous tailgaters. They tailgate and attempt to drive way over the speed limit, I even got passed in a no passing zone doing 57 in a 55. Reminds me of driving in NYC. Luckily most of the people are a lot more friendly though.

I too highly recommend this to anyone whose town offers it. It was very educational and great fun. Denville's was a ten week commitment and afterward there were additional classes offered for CPR and bleeding control.

Simulated road stops and the simulator at the Morris Co. Police Academy were very eye opening. 

Denville will be offering it again with a tentative January start date.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brucin said:

I too highly recommend this to anyone whose town offers it. It was very educational and great fun. Denville's was a ten week commitment and afterward there were additional classes offered for CPR and bleeding control.

Simulated road stops and the simulator at the Morris Co. Police Academy were very eye opening. 

Denville will be offering it again with a tentative January start date.

Now I think we need ems stuff in ours also.

big thumbs up @brucin!

The one my wife and I attended was the first one that Denville did. Our class was the "guinea pigs" so they asked for lots of feedback each week. Some of the subjects seemed rushed so my suggestion was to add 2 more weeks so things could be covered in more depth.

I forgot to mention that we also got to do a ride along for a day. That was a very interesting experience. You aren't allowed to exit the vehicle but you can listen in to the audio of the body cams.