Malsua

How to sell an Action Track Chair?

I've been mostly out of town the last two weeks.  My step father was very ill and passed away on the 22nd.

Among other things, he leaves an Action Track Chair.  See below.

This thing cost a touch over $12,000 in 2014.  I'd be happy to sell it for 8k.

He also has a 4 wheel maxima scooter and a Hoverround.

I've contacted a number of places and they all want it as a donation.   My mother lost 2/3rds of her income when John went, she needs to live on some of the money these things are worth.

I also inherited some guns and a bunch of ammo and reloading gear.  Off the top, I've got Henry AR7, SW 22A, Ruger Mark II and a Savage 22 Hornet that I will probably sell.

I'll post that stuff later. 

Anyone have a suggestion on who to sell this chair to?  It's located in Central/East Ohio.

chair2.jpg

Wow that thing is pretty cool. Keep it and mount a m1919.

Really sorry you lost your stepfather

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

He didn't use it much but he turkey hunted with it in 2014.  I knew my step dad for 40 years and he was more of a father to me than my Biological father.  He taught me to shoot properly. 

He was a marine that did 3 tours in Vietnam, was awarded 2 purple hearts both earned in combat, one was while carrying his wounded buddy to the medical tent.  He was in the First Battalion, 9th Marines, the original "Walking Dead".

• Like 1

He didn't use it much but he turkey hunted with it in 2014.  I knew my step dad for 40 years and he was more of a father to me than my Biological father.  He taught me to shoot properly. 

He was a marine that did 3 tours in Vietnam, was awarded 2 purple hearts both earned in combat, one was while carrying his wounded buddy to the medical tent.  He was in the First Battalion, 9th Marines, the original "Walking Dead".

If you believe in the afterlife no worries there because he's already been to hell.

God's speed Pop!

Very sorry to hear of you and your mom's loss.

Of course, under the circumstances, you'll want to get top dollar for her. Why not harness the power of the internet and use eBay? It will get the broadest audience. And, not to sound paranoid, but you can always protect your mom's privacy (particularly if she's living alone now) and keep the whole ad/deal in your name, and if it's a pick-up, do it at a neutral location (bank parking lot, etc.). At least you'll get real buyers on eBay, not folks looking for a donation.

Either way, best of luck on everything.

Thanks everyone.  John was a good man.

As for Ebay, the fees run upwards of 10%.   If I were to sell it for 8k, Ebay gets $750.00.     I've been on Ebay for 16 years and I generally only sell stuff that has no value to me or I got for free.   I do have the chair listed on Craigslist, but I've not even gotten a single query on it in about a week.  

I even contacted the Action Track chair foundation...they don't buy chairs, they only donate them.  They must conjure them from thin air somehow.   I also contacted the regional distributor for the chair but they didn't even bother to write me back.     I'd love to get this chair into the hands of a disabled Marine, but I can't in good conscience just give it away.

*sigh*

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a great guy. As for the chair, Action wheelchairs are a niche market kind of chair. They were made by a paraplegic who loved the outdoors. Who also had a great idea to get outdoors into the woods and snow with a disability.

Having been in the business of new and used wheelchairs, I can tell you there are very few dealers out there willing to pay any money for a used chair let alone one with very few uses for "in the home." The secondary market for any used wheelchairs is very thin as most want insurance to pay, yet they rarely do.

You may not get near 8000 though not because it's not worth it but finding the buyer that wants and needs will be the hardest part. eBay as suggested may be good to get top dollar but shipping an item of that size is tough and expensive as well as the commission fees. I think hunting forums are probably the best way to market it in he area but you will get lowball offers. Awesome chair though good luck.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a great guy. As for the chair, Action wheelchairs are a niche market kind of chair. They were made by a paraplegic who loved the outdoors. Who also had a great idea to get outdoors into the woods and snow with a disability.

Having been in the business of new and used wheelchairs, I can tell you there are very few dealers out there willing to pay any money for a used chair let alone one with very few uses for "in the home." The secondary market for any used wheelchairs is very thin as most want insurance to pay, yet they rarely do.

You may not get near 8000 though not because it's not worth it but finding the buyer that wants and needs will be the hardest part. eBay as suggested may be good to get top dollar but shipping an item of that size is tough and expensive as well as the commission fees. I think hunting forums are probably the best way to market it in he area but you will get lowball offers. Awesome chair though good luck.

Thanks, so far my experience is playing out just as you suggest.  No one wants to pay for it.    I suppose we could donate it and take a tax deduction.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law but that thing is friggin' cool.

It's fun for about 10 minutes if you're "abled".   I wouldn't want to "need" it.  It is pretty cool, I just wish some other folks thought so.

I even contacted the Action Track chair foundation...they don't buy chairs, they only donate them.  They must conjure them from thin air somehow.   I also contacted the regional distributor for the chair but they didn't even bother to write me back.     I'd love to get this chair into the hands of a disabled Marine, but I can't in good conscience just give it away.

Actually Mark, the chairs are purchased by donors. If these are the same track chairs I've seen on news shows, O'Reilly talks about them frequently, they cost about $15k new and they are bought buy wealthy people who donate the chair to vets.

Actually Mark, the chairs are purchased by donors. If these are the same track chairs I've seen on news shows, O'Reilly talks about them frequently, they cost about $15k new and they are bought buy wealthy people who donate the chair to vets.

I'm glad you brought this up because it makes the idea I had yesterday sound less stupid.  I was going to suggest finding someone who could afford to buy the chair and then they donate it to a charity or an individual.  It becomes a win win.  the seller gets the much needed cash, the buyer gets to make a donation and get a substantial tax write off to boot.

See, my thinking is that they have a network of people willing to donate and they may have people who could donate 8k and not 16k, they hook that guy up with me and the rest is history.   If the whole point of the organization is to get chairs to people, should they shun the pre-owned market entirely?  It seems to me like this is an opportunity rather than a problem for such an organization, but what do I know.

Sorry for your loss I would place a phone call to Lehigh Valley Sporting they have been dedicating a large part of their facility to helping the handicap I believe they a track chair there maybe they could use another.

i'd be interested in hearing more 'bout the henry ar7.

New in the box, never been shot, originally purchased in 2015.   I'd keep it, but I already have one.   New, this would run you at least $240 after tax and Nics, I'd sell this one for $210.00

Sorry for your loss I would place a phone call to Lehigh Valley Sporting they have been dedicating a large part of their facility to helping the handicap I believe they a track chair there maybe they could use another.

Good idea...I just sent them a message.