YankeeSC

Scope QD mounts

I like the idea of being able to quickly swap my red dot and scope on my AR, and not having to worry about messing up my zero.  What do you guys like to use?  

After doing some research the American Defense seems solid: http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-scout-30/p/ad-scout-30/, and cheaper mounts seem to be along the lines of "you get what you pay for."

Is it worth it to pay 2x the price of the cheaper mounts for better quality?  Anyone else use the American Defense mounts? Something else I should consider?

The scout has a single QD lock while these have double, what's the other difference between these 2?

http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-recon-30-fde/p/ad-recon-30-fde/

http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-recon-30/p/ad-recon-30/

The American defense isn't even that expensive. The high end mounts are $200+, and yes, you get what you pay for. You certainly pay for something that requires zero tolerances. Precision machining cost money.

I have an AD mount and it is worth the price, good value.

On the recommendation of High Exposure, I bought an ADM QD mount and lower 1/3 riser for my PA mini red dot.  It is extremely solid and maintains zero.  The first time I took it to the range I detached and reattached it after every mag, I think I went through 10 mags that day, and it kept the zero.  Plus, they sent me some cool ADM stickers too.  Who doesn't like stickers :D

• Like 1

I like to use a separate riser and rings so that I can change the mount height if I decide to change scopes. I use a Larue 5/8" QD riser and am currently using Burris 30mm rings. I did have TPS rings with a 1" scope. By being able to alter height just by changing rings I maintain the functionality of the QD riser while being able to alter scope height to maintain the the minimum scope to bore centerline and provide clearance for my BUIS.

snhzl0.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

All my QD mounts are LaRue or ADM (and one Daniel Defense T1 mount that isn't QD). I have had no issues with them and would recommend either without hesitation. When I started shooting and got the LaRue stuff, ADM wasn't around.

Lately, I have been buying solely ADM though. I really like their stuff. I find that their rail attachment is rock solid, repeatable, and hard to beat.

If you are mounting an Aimpoint, their QRP mount is adequate, but a little clunky, and holds zero well.

Whatever you do, avoid ARMS. Their stuff blows.

I think you need to consider what the purpose of the QD mount is.

if the goal is "get it off the gun NOW, the optic is broken and the zombies are trying to eat my head", return to zero is inconsequential, the optic failed and you'll probably need to re-zero anyway.

If you use a red dot getting your irons up and aiming through the scope is faster

If you use a scope, in my experience even the best return to zero scope, don't really, they just return close enough, but again if you had to take it off in a hurry then you probably have another issue to fix.

I guess what I'm saying the mounts need to hold the thing on really well, and come of easy, return to zero is somewhat less important.  That last part also depends on the upper being really even and well machined, I've found that the same mount would return to zero on some uppers but not others.

All that said, I've used a Larue SPR-E for a long time and it was great, until I noticed my race gun never has its scope off and I don't even have sights on it, so I went to a lighter mount that is not QD. I have a PA t-1 clone in a Larue mount as well, which is funny cause it is was like twice the cost of the optic, and I don't regret it. I've also had good experiences with the aimpoint mount that comes with the PRO, it may not be return to zero, but it is return to "darn close to zero that a click or two will fix it"

So yeah, Larue is great. ADM is pretty great as well from what I see from my friends experience. But I would consider if your red dot needs to be QD. Scope, yeah probably if you have backups, red dot I'm no so sure.

Thanks for all the input.

My red dot is already on a QD so this is just for the scope, and I think I'm looking at it as more of a convenience factor. Right now I just have the one rifle and I don't want a hassle of re-zeroing every time I want to switch sites. I accept this might be a naive point of view as a newer shooter so please school me I necessary.

FWIW I am thinking about the Vortex Strike Eagle, and you guys are the best, always well thought out and well written responses!

Me too!:popcorn: I have an Aimpoint PRO on currently, but I'd like a Strike Eagle and the ability to switch without zeroing again if necessary.

• Like 1

Me too! :popcorn: I have an Aimpoint PRO on currently, but I'd like a Strike Eagle and the ability to switch without zeroing again if necessary.

Right? It seems like a hassle to worry about zero every time you switch. (or maybe that's just a fact of life). I have the Holosun HS515C.

Burris PEPR QD , $90 on Amazon

I was considering an AD mount last year and was recommended the PEPR by JackDaWack and others here. It's rock solid , and damn close to returning to zero

That's actually the first one I was considering, but saw some negative reviews.  Researched a little more and found the AD mounts with nothing but very positive reviews.  I would rather spend more for quality, if there is in fact more quality to be had here.

I switched to the Aero Precision Ultralight mount.

Yep, if you don't need QD rings on a AR the Aero mounts are the best deal around as far as I'm concerned. That's what replaced my Larue.

I encourage people to not take optics on and off just to mess around with the other sighting system.  I would rather build a second identical upper and swap them for practice, then take optics off whenever I want to use iron sights.

Yep, if you don't need QD rings on a AR the Aero mounts are the best deal around as far as I'm concerned. That's what replaced my Larue.

I encourage people to not take optics on and off just to mess around with the other sighting system. I would rather build a second identical upper and swap them for practice, then take optics off whenever I want to use iron sights.

I completely agree with not going QD. If you need to go with a red dot, do a separate upper... more preferably a separate rifle.

I just ordered an Aero mount for my FDE rifle with a 1.5-6x Weaver. I did want an iron sight option... so went with offset MBUS Pros.

QD mounts - bobro, american defense, or larue are known high quality. About the only thing I have to say about them is that the larue gets you infinite adjustment on the tension, but can be abusive to the upper/rail. The AD may make you choose between too tight and too loose, but seems to be pretty kind to the upper long term.

I have an AD recon-x and a few AD red dot mounts. I also have a burris pepr QD. 

When they sat down with their lawyers to avoid infinging on a patent, it appears they sat down and worked off the AD QD locks. I don't know how much I'd trust it long term do to the quality of the castings, fasteners, etc. But it appears to work. That being said, it is not cntelevered enough to provide proper eye relief for a lot of scopes from an offhand position. It could also really stand to have the rings lapped, and I'm not sure how it would fare after doing such in terms of wear or corrosion. 

Bang for the buck, I'd say AD. 

QD mounts - bobro, american defense, or larue are known high quality. About the only thing I have to say about them is that the larue gets you infinite adjustment on the tension, but can be abusive to the upper/rail. The AD may make you choose between too tight and too loose, but seems to be pretty kind to the upper long term.

I have an AD recon-x and a few AD red dot mounts. I also have a burris pepr QD.

When they sat down with their lawyers to avoid infinging on a patent, it appears they sat down and worked off the AD QD locks. I don't know how much I'd trust it long term do to the quality of the castings, fasteners, etc. But it appears to work. That being said, it is not cntelevered enough to provide proper eye relief for a lot of scopes from an offhand position. It could also really stand to have the rings lapped, and I'm not sure how it would fare after doing such in terms of wear or corrosion.

Bang for the buck, I'd say AD.

Bang for buck Id say the PEPR. It's a good mount but it's heavy for what it is. Do a few more push ups and you won't notice it

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I'm late but ...Bobro QD, for the win.  I've tried em all and Bobro seems to work best.  Of the ones that had a consistent return of zero (Larue, ADM, Bobro), Bobro has the edge due to its design.

Bobro has a spring tensioned clamp.  Why is that good?  Well, I'm no engineer but it seems to help keep even, constant pressure against the rail.  You never have to readjust the tension due to, say, the mount wearing into the pic rail.  Also, the spring clamp makes it very flexible switching your optic to another rifle.  I can literally pop it off my SPR and snap it on my RECCE, make a quick, memorized windage|elevation click adjustment and be zero'd within 3 minutes.  Going back is just as easy.  Its never off zero.

Just one thought, what I just mentioned might not work as well with cheap glass.  Not to sound elitist but I only run decent optics i.e. Vortex, Nightforce or S&B, personally.