Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

hello from clinton! new to the state new to the forum

hey guys i just wanted to formally introduce myself. I am alex, i have been holding off on buying my first firearm for the past couple of years because i knew i would eventually be moving to new jersey where the majority of my family lives and i heard that it would be a ridiculous process to legally get any guns switched to this state. none of my family members in this state own firearms. that being said, i have come to join your forum community to seek advice and become more aware of the laws and regulations around firearms to help me get started, and eventually once i become more familiar i can start helping other people on here in the future.

Welcome to the state. Actually it would have been better to bring to NJ any firearms purchased outside of NJ as then there would be no record of them in NJ. We don't have any requirement to register firearms in NJ. The firearms do have to be legal in NJ.

Welcome to the state. Actually it would have been better to bring to NJ any firearms purchased outside of NJ as then there would be no record of them in NJ. We don't have any requirement to register firearms in NJ. The firearms do have to be legal in NJ.

that's what i was originally thinking, but my uncle had advised me that if i went that route i would have had to leave my guns in PA and then wait for an FID and get multiple pistol permits here and then bring them after the fact. I'm not sure if that's true since he has always lived in nj and never had to do any of that, and the only gun he owns was inherited through  my grandpas will.

that's what i was originally thinking, but my uncle had advised me that if i went that route i would have had to leave my guns in PA and then wait for an FID and get multiple pistol permits here and then bring them after the fact. I'm not sure if that's true since he has always lived in nj and never had to do any of that, and the only gun he owns was inherited through my grandpas will.

He's 100% wrong. He alsowouldn't need a PP to inherit a pistol

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

that's what i was originally thinking, but my uncle had advised me that if i went that route i would have had to leave my guns in PA and then wait for an FID and get multiple pistol permits here and then bring them after the fact. I'm not sure if that's true since he has always lived in nj and never had to do any of that, and the only gun he owns was inherited through  my grandpas will.

Welcome to NJ and NJGF.

This is why you shouldn't take advice from people that don't know WTF they are talking about.

Any NJ legal gun purchased legally in any state while  you were resident of that state can be brought to NJ when you move here. No paper work, no registration required. In fact, registration is not advisable.

Yes, a FPID is good to have since it's required to buy pistol caliber ammo, to purchase long guns and allows you to transports long guns without following the restrictions placed on transporting hand guns.