Sign in to follow this  
siderman

Propane tank re-cert?

I've got several 20lb tanks for my grill both OPD correct but have passed the 12 yr expiration date. They are in very good shape no rust, does anyone have experience of getting them re-certified vs buying new ones? Cost of course being the big concern...

I don't think you can. When turned in, they might be reinspected and rebuilt or cut up for scrap. Trying to get them recert will prob cost you more than a new tank. When I worked for gas company, we only recerted welding style bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New tanks are good for 12 years.  Afterward they need to be hydrostatically tested to be re-certified.  For a big tank, its worth the test....with new tanks $25-30 (and perhaps $20 on sale in the spring) its not worth it.

If you are near berkeley heights I'll fill them as long as they look fine. I've seen 10 year old tanks in better conditions then 2 year old ones

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

right answer- wrong location lol .  

Take your old tank to a propane exchange and trade it for a full tank.

dont trust the pre filled tanks, heard on the internet they underfill them so it must be true.

New tanks are good for 12 years.  Afterward they need to be hydrostatically tested to be re-certified.  For a big tank, its worth the test....with new tanks $25-30 (and perhaps $20 on sale in the spring) its not worth it.

I was afraid of that.....was hoping a $5, $10 thing

Got mine re-certified at Modern Gas in Tannersville, PA.  Was only 10 bucks I believe.  First recert is only a visual inspection and dip test, I believe.  Then good for another 10 years.  Anyway I wait till I need several filled as it is $9.95 cash on a 20lb tank.  Jersey sucks even for propane refills.

Or take them to the home depot for exchange on a full tank. Most clerks don't care.  New filled tank.  Of course you only get 15lb in it (cheap B........s)

Last time I bought them at Modern they were 30 bucks new, filled.

Why are they only filled to 15lbs? Are they advertised that way?

they aren't advertised that way, but the exchange industry is rife with it.  And since there isnt a gauge on most tanks, people dont know the difference.

Take your old tank to a propane exchange and trade it for a full tank.

+1000

Who cares if it is a few pounds less, unless you are using one per week. If you are, get a big ass tank installed.

Just did the tank exchange "trick" on an old tank that had a tare weight of over 18 lbs. The guys at the gas station assume all tanks are 16.6 so I was getting screwed out of 2lbs of propane for a while till I realized. Easier to get a fresh blue rhino instead of explaining to the gas station guys who barely speak English

they aren't advertised that way, but the exchange industry is rife with it. And since there isnt a gauge on most tanks, people dont know the difference.

There was a class action lawsuit about this. Blue rhino wound up with a 25million settlement. After that they started posting that you really aren't getting 20lbs of propane in a 20lb tank.